Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm sure liking the idea of a thick walled, "everlasting" honker of a case, with an internal "shelf" whereupon a proper flat based bullet can settle in well aligned repose. Can't BELIEVE that DD is talking heeled bullets,...I see them as case killers, myself.

GTC

I was advocating that around 20 pages back. I don't know about heeled bullets being a case killer though, as long as chamber dimensions and case dimensions are such that no sizing is required and loads are kept at a sane level.

Musta' missed my endorsement of the everlasting hot on that post's heels,... "Dies, neck tensions, annealings,....and on and on,....phoee.

I get little 'nuff time to shoot, and don't need to be screwing around with brass, anymore than I have to.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/30/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh,.....and as far as the endless supply of confused naysayers ( beleive me they ABOUND ) using an elastomeric polymer as part of a Black Powder, or White Powder cartridge case component.....
.......witness the modern shotshell whistle
Those worried about the heat that BP generates,..... reflect on the fact that the ablative tiles that shielded our space shuttles belly and wing under surfaces are GLUED on.
All these now ancient polymeric cats are outta' the bag ( and some of them SHOULD have remained DOD classified / top secret), everybody has the formulas, read the specs, take yer pick, pick up the phone and have em' drop shipped. One lifetime's not going to be enough to try em' all,
.....GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/30/17.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
.22 Sniffle

Are you okay with a .25 and a .32 Sniffle,....e.g. putting the handle on the whole series ?
It's got my vote .
The next size up, case capacity wise should be Muted Cough,....e.g. " .38 Muted Cough"

GTC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And to that end, why not a .25, .30, .35 variation on the theme? We may be re-inventing the wheel here, but I posit that that the cycle of history may well have come around to where the reasons for the demise of Everlasting cases/reloadable without tools heel bullet designs, etc. are no longer valid. I betcha that a lot more people would take up experimentation with handloading if they weren't faced with a staggering amount of equipment choices and voodoo espoused by we who practice the art. What I'm saying is the KISS Principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) of the system we are talking about here may be an avenue by which the average Joe can dip his toes in the water of reloading. (Never forget that we handloaders remain in the distinct minority of shooters.)

Carry it far enough forward where such practices could generate powerful enough loads/cartridges sufficient for the once a year deer hunter to seriously consider it as an option.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/30/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There it is, Gary,....there it is .

GTC

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Viva the Lee Loader!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RWE
Viva the Lee Loader!!!

And to that end, why not a .25, .30, .35 variation on the theme? We may be re-inventing the wheel here, but I posit that that the cycle of history may well have come around to where the reasons for the demise of Everlasting cases/reloadable without tools heel bullet designs, etc. are no longer valid. I betcha that a lot more people would take up experimentation with handloading if they weren't faced with a staggering amount of equipment choices and voodoo espoused by we who practice the art. What I'm saying is the KISS Principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) of the system we are talking about here may be an avenue by which the average Joe can dip his toes in the water of reloading. (Never forget that we handloaders remain in the distinct minority of shooters.)

Carry it far enough forward where such practices could generate powerful enough loads/cartridges sufficient for the once a year deer hunter to seriously consider it as an option.

Gentlemen,

I think all you fellas are on to something here,

A simple loading system, and perhaps with a higher energy "Trail Boss type" powder that will keep the neophyte safe from over/double loading, with cases that never wear out, in a few 'common" calibers and you all might have a winner.

Greg, I am one who has no problem with polymers/composites. If they can help with the everlasting case idea, so much the better. Ceramic compositions too, after all, some ceramic items have been around and still working for hundreds of years.

Thanks guys,

Geno

PS is this a Back to the Future deal? cool

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a fun hobby pursuit for those so inclined.
As for technology naysayers, look at all the high performance shotgun slugs out there using only 1980s/90s plastic technology. Take it a step into the 21st century with currently available materials.
As for "too much trouble", it's a hobby. There are still guys out there turning cases for 1850's designs on their mini lathes. Way "too much trouble", but it's their hobby.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
PS is this a Back to the Future deal?

Only if you remember Chuck Berry.

I like the Everlasting idea as well, but ask divine forgiveness for getting bogged down on dims and trying to make this functional. Couple of options occur to me for the .22 Sniffle. Even the most aggressive .22 RF loads are mild insofar as pressure goes and if the spec here is for "standard velocity" I would guess we are in the 15-17 KPSI range, or ballpark black powder/shotgun pressures. What I don't know is whether or not this will prompt case sizing IF the wall thickness is increased significantly, say to .015". A heel is a heel, the dims are not significant in my mind, so make it smaller and carry on. Next question, can something of this sort be manufactured in a manner consistent with current production methods? I dunno.

If so, I think it entirely possible that simple reloading tools could work. Will it need sizing after each load cycle? Will a very mild taper crimp or light bump with a roll crimp suffice to keep loaded ammo in one piece?

In a perfect world the concept could be utilized in a wide array of circumstance/cartridge/calibers ad nauseum....but first we need a launch...

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another possibility is synthetic cases. A friend of mine's been working on such a project for a couple of years now, obviously through a large corporation, and has gotten them to work very well in cartridges up to and including the .300 Winchester Magnum. Of course, making them would probably be more involved than turning brass, but otherwise they might be very viable. I'll ask him about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Another possibility is synthetic cases. A friend of mine's been working on such a project for a couple of years now, obviously through a large corporation, and has gotten them to work very well in cartridges up to and including the .300 Winchester Magnum. Of course, making them would probably be more involved than turning brass, but otherwise they might be very viable. I'll ask him about it.

Hmmmm? , again.

I refer the reader back to my Arte Johnson you tube post.

Thanks JB,

Geno

PS, something the "average Geno" could make up on a reasonably priced 3D printer? confused

Last edited by Valsdad; 05/30/17.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

Anyone remember "trounds" from a few decades ago?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Anyone remember "trounds" from a few decades ago?

Had the opportunity to burn a few
........neat , but underwhelming in terms of accuracy, IIRC.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
PS, something the "average Geno" could make up on a reasonably priced 3D printer?

This starting to sound like that song "Age of Alternatives". Wait, I meant Aquarius....

Live, from Caveman Country,

Hippy Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
PS, something the "average Geno" could make up on a reasonably priced 3D printer?

This starting to sound like that song "Age of Alternatives". Wait, I meant Aquarius....

Live, from Caveman Country,

Hippy Dan

Hey, you and Cross related? Neighbors? Maybe he's a hippy too? Seems he had the opportunity and maybe even inhaled?

Had the opportunity to burn a few

As for the average Geno comment, I just wanted to add a personal touch to it, not wishing to use the anonymous "one could".

Perhaps these lyrics from the song pertain to you? Visions of a new cartridge?

Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the mind's true liberation

Just keep the cranial wheels turning, the shooting public, at least the looniest of them, needs guys like "Hippy Dan".

Or else we'd still be shooting matchlocks!

Geno

PS, I continue to state that I neither will/can confirm nor deny whether or not I inhaled or had any other "revelation" type experiences. At least not on a public forum.

In it is contentment

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe we should try to improve and perfect the Smith Carbine?

Variety of calibers, thick walled brass cases. Change from percussion to a firing pin.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno that mere mortals should be allowed to play with such jewels.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a Burnside.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Have a tentative source for brass. OMG, what have I done? laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Have a tentative source for brass. OMG, what have I done? laugh

Yup,....I re-booted a coupla' those, for a shop that bought em'....collector's inheritance sale,....one was MINTY, and one a junkyard dog parts gun.

NICELY built,....good craftsmanship.

Replacing the"Gutta Percha" seal rings with silicone O-rings was a snap,.....the really beat up and rasty one shot better groups,....not that we were seeking BR performance.

DGW , or Track had Italian replica brass at the time, ....honestly can't say how good / bad it was.

GTC

Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (12344mag, 160user, 35, 44mc, 2UP, 21, 24 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,212
Posts18,524,294
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.