Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
By the way, just a warning, when you remove the steak from the oven, it'll look like the most disgusting light brown piece of crap you've ever seen until you sear the daylights out of it. It looks like you took a raw piece of meat and microwaved it LOL.

Also, just my opinion, but I don't think it's worth doing unless you have a thick steak, like 1 1/2 - 2+ inches.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 05/31/17.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have not tried this but my Son does this on his Big Green Egg. Makes for an awesome steak. Those pictures look good!

lightman
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We cook elk loin in camp like this. We use the big Dutch oven on the sheep herder stove with a wire grill in the bottom. We get it heated up to 300* and put the loins, wrapped in bacon, in the oven and let them set for about 30-45 minutes. Don't let the oven get too hot or try it without the rack - they will come out like boiled meat. Take out to the grill with a really hot bed of coals and pop them on. There will be a mini fireworks display and lots of yummy smoke. Every carnivore in the immediate area, I.e. the rest of the crew, will gather round growling and snarling until fed. If anyone complains about an under done steak, tell him he will be staked out as bear bait for the duration of the hunt.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We like to cook quickly... sounds good, way to much time involved....

Raw steak on a pit for a few minutes each side, until it looses the red and good to go.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When cooking for me only, 1 1/4" or so thick steak, salt pepper, garlic powder, rub it with olive oil. Grill hot as possible or smoking cast iron skillet, sear untill damn near burnt, flip, repeat. Foil and lay a towel on it to keep in heat, wait 10 minutes or so.

Cold beer and a couple pound of hot/cool steak, dog and I eat good.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is the only way I do steaks now. Except I sear them on a super hot cast iron skillet with a little oil in it on the grill side burner. Just a bit less than a minute to side once they come out of the oven. Damn consistent way to cook good steaks.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Another tip that works well is to use a dry rub on the steak and put it on the wire rack and cookie sheet in the frig overnight before cooking. This will surface dry the meat and lock in moisture for the oven time. Here's another totally unappealing picture of a reverse seared steak...

[Linked Image]

Very nice!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eh76

Very nice!

OMG!!!!! It is alive!! smile

This made my day!!!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cast iron skillet has become my go-to method for steak. Use whatever rub or seasoning you like. Get steak to room temp with rub on it. Get cast iron skillet sqeeling hot. Drop in 1 or 2 pats of butter. Drop in the steak. 2 mins max. Lift steak. Drop 1 or 2 pats butter. Flip. 2 mins max.

My time may be a little off because of using an electric glasstop. Anyways, y'all get the picture. smile

PS- have actually been able to improve this method by using the French butter Monsieur Mannlicher recommends and the steak rubs Bowhunr used to win his last competition.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Reverse sear = 20% less shrinkage

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by davet
Great idea.

I do something similar with ribs. Cook in the oven with your rub for 1.5-2hrs in a foil covered pan at 300* with apples or apple juice in the bottom of the pan. Remove and put on the smoker for another 1.5-2hrs cherry, apple, or pecan wood and keep it smoking to make up for lost time. Cuts cooking time and keeps moisture in, while getting hot enough to render off some of the fat.

I may try that with the steaks.

That's funny. I do the same method but in reverse. Smoke first and finish in a throw away, covered, tin pan with apple cider to finish on the grill. Dam. now I'm hungry.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
have actually been able to improve this method by using the French butter Monsieur Mannlicher recommends and the steak rubs Bowhunr used to win his last competition.

Please share the details! Always looking to try new seasonings.

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I will have to try this reverse sear. Looks and sounds like a great way to cook the perfect steak.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by davet
Great idea.

I do something similar with ribs. Cook in the oven with your rub for 1.5-2hrs in a foil covered pan at 300* with apples or apple juice in the bottom of the pan. Remove and put on the smoker for another 1.5-2hrs cherry, apple, or pecan wood and keep it smoking to make up for lost time. Cuts cooking time and keeps moisture in, while getting hot enough to render off some of the fat.

I may try that with the steaks.

why would you want to cut cooking time? Hell, that's 1/2 the fun. Sitting out there with a cooler full of good ideas, BS with all the neighbors when the come see what's on the smoker, listening to tunes from the garage radio...

I think I will try this with the steaks though. It's interesting.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can anyone recommend a remote meat thermometer that has worked well for them? I bought one for around 25 bucks and think I am a victim of the old "you get what you pay for" theory because I've had mixed results. I'm looking at the unit below on Amazon which has dual probes which would be nice if cooking say, chicken and beef at the same time. And it has a wireless remote unit so you can be in another location and be alerted to the temperature of your food...

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wi...mp;psc=1&refRID=7TQGFHPK7KX5QYR8QE5Y

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a sou vide, to cook my steaks, season, seal, drop it in, set the temp, and walk away. Anywhere between 1 and 4 hours later I take it out of the sealed bag, re-season, and sear perfect steak every time. I do the same with chicken, pork, deer, elk etc....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have actually been able to improve this method by using the French butter Monsieur Mannlicher recommends and the steak rubs Bowhunr used to win his last competition.

OP, they're made by Dizzy Pig.

Raising the Steaks Rub Spice
Cow Lick Steak Rub

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

OP, they're made by Dizzy Pig.

Raising the Steaks Rub Spice
Cow Lick Steak Rub

Cool, thanks man.

MOLON LABE
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you brought this up because I wanted to ask if anyone has tried this style of sous vide. On sale for $179 and the videos tell a great story.

https://youtu.be/Mv9rGmf1D6w

[Linked Image]

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I use a sou vide, to cook my steaks, season, seal, drop it in, set the temp, and walk away. Anywhere between 1 and 4 hours later I take it out of the sealed bag, re-season, and sear perfect steak every time. I do the same with chicken, pork, deer, elk etc....

Okay, by my admittedly ignorant level of knowledge of this, I did a quick Google and it seems that you are basically putting the meat in a vacuum sealed bag and cooking it in water before searing correct? I assume you are buying the device that heats the water to a precise temperature? The one thing I can't figure out off the top of my head is how do you check the temperature before searing the meat? You can't put a plobe through the bag without a leak right? Or do you just know in advance how long a certain type of meat will take and you just time it? What am missing?

Thanks,
Rob

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,075 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,226
Posts18,485,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.