-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Witnessed one of the worst azz chewing I've ever seen a grown man take over this very subject

We were taking a group of hunters out caribou hunting and one of the guys for whatever reason decided to take a look at his buddies backs through his rifle scope

The top hand in our outfit went ballistic, I almost felt sorry for the guy, almost

'Twasnt pretty, he paid a pretty fair bill to come up and get his azz chewed

Imo binocs are for spotting, glass on a rifle is for killing

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Witnessed one of the worst azz chewing I've ever seen a grown man take over this very subject

Me too... Why would anyone point a firearm at another person, unless the intent was to shoot them ???

Just someone who has never had any training.

I agree- get some binoculars. Don't care if they're $10 Barska's or $2500 Swaro's - Just get them.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never is the right time to use a scope to glass. Besides the good sense safety reasons, it is awkward and doesn't work very well to look for game with a rifle mounted scope. Putting the scope on an already identified animal to verify antler points, choose the correct animal, etc. before shooting is also good sense.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This thread should quickly morph into a hot chamber vs. cold chamber thread.

Then we'll have fun!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm serious. I posed this on another forum and was stunned at some of the answers I got. I consider this forum full of experienced outdoorsmen and hunters. I'm hoping to hear from as many of you as possible. Thanks in advance.

JG,

are you keeping track? In order to post the results on the other forum?

Another vote for No, Binocular first.

Short range- able to ID animal as right species and sex, then possible, slightly possible, just to make sure of legal requirements, but if I'm undetected and can use binocular first, then that's the thing to do.

I hate being "scoped" and like others have said, I have a tendency to look at that as a threat. If the object is far enough away I can't ID it without an optic of some sort, it's likely far enough away to use my binoc. and be able to remain undetected.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
It has been argued that using a rifle scope is perfectly safe and OK for scanning/glassing for game, rather than using binoculars. One excuse I've heard is that even though the rifle is loaded, it has an open bolt so it is ok.

Do you consider it safe to use a rifle scope, on a loaded rifle, instead of binoculars or a spotting scope when glassing for game animals?

Why or why not?

1. Treat every gun as though it is loaded.

2. Don't point your gun at anything you don't plan to shoot.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got glassed once, and I've probably still got an imprint in the ground on that ridgetop in Pennsylvania from eating dirt as fast as I did. How someone can glass you, thinking you're a deer when you're sitting there with your back against a tree wearing blaze orange top and bottom, blaze orange gloves, and a blaze orange hat is beyond me.

Scopes are for killing stuff, binoculars, monoculars, and spotting scopes are for finding game.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely not.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Muzzle control....do not point it at anything that does not need shot

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know some folks 'glass' animals or places with their scope, but I won't do it.

Sam......

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depends on the cartridge. Its perfectly acceptable to glass with the scope on a 270.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never "scan" with a scope, but I will frequently will put the scope on an animal I am considering shooting. I have watched deer for well over an hour on multiple occasions either waiting for them to turn to just the right position or just to decide if it looks tasty enough to shoot. Probably the latter has been most common for me since I shoot strictly for my table. Where I hunt, there have been way more deer than is reasonable for the better part of 20 years, so I get to pick and choose. This results in looking very closely for identifying characteristics so I can quickly decide I have seen and passed on this one before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I regularly look at the antlers of bucks before shooting them. Not glassing to figure out if they are a deer, just making sure that it is legal. 3 pt rule here, and I shoot a lot of deer that I want out of the herd. If I decide that I do not want the deer, I might get my binoculars and watch it for a while. All "just looking" gets the use of binoculars. I do see a lot of people going hunting without binoculars but not on my place. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
One of the best ass kicking's I've ever seen was delivered by one of my hunting partner's who had a rife pointed at him by a dipshite 2 separate times in the same day!
Losing buddies to a sniper in Korea had made him quite sensitive about that..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has been argued that using a rifle scope is perfectly safe and OK for scanning/glassing for game, rather than using binoculars. One excuse I've heard is that even though the rifle is loaded, it has an open bolt so it is ok.

Do you consider it safe to use a rifle scope, on a loaded rifle, instead of binoculars or a spotting scope when glassing for game animals?

Why or why not?

Binos or a spotting scope are always preferred.

No crosshairs to look through, Binos give you 2 eyes, spotter and binos will generally give a wider field of vision, and you can't have an "accident" with binos or a spotter.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Can you not keep your finger off the trigger and the rifle on safe scanning a ridge 600 yds away

Sure I can. But are you saying it's alright to point your rifle at someone as long as you keep your finger off the trigger and keep the rifle on "safe?"

Steelhead said it, it's a shame to have to repeat it. Muzzle control is the #1 rule; literally and figuratively. It's not an accident that it's at the top of the list.
Because you can violate every other rule and even pull the trigger but if the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction nobody gets hurt.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How many people have been killed by those 'unloaded' guns? You can see better with binocs anyway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No one should be able to argue with that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and keep your finger off the trigger, until you are ready to shoot. Use binos to look for game.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Can you not keep your finger off the trigger and the rifle on safe scanning a ridge 600 yds away

Sure I can. But are you saying it's alright to point your rifle at someone as long as you keep your finger off the trigger and keep the rifle on "safe?"

Steelhead said it, it's a shame to have to repeat it. Muzzle control is the #1 rule; literally and figuratively. It's not an accident that it's at the top of the list.
Because you can violate every other rule and even pull the trigger but if the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction nobody gets hurt.

Sorry smokepole. You are correct. I should have said "public land". That said, I use 8 and 15x Zeiss binos.

As a poor kid i did on occassion scan a ridge or pasture at times with the Weavrr 22 scope on my break open ss Savage for deer or turkey.

I consider scoping someone out with a rifle a different proposition. Had it happen to me once. I got behind an oak trunk and scoped them back. They got the message.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,207
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.