Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by fish head

If I were trespassing on private property and I scoped someone that was scoping me ...

You would use your scope to glass?....you sound just like me....except for the trespass bit.

Armed trespassers objecting to having a gun pointed at them....go figure

Hey Starman,

We're not alike.

You're an idiot.

I'm not.

You're too clueless to understand my sense of humor.

I never scan with my rifle scope ... ever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Well, whoever argued that it's ok, should get punched in the dick.
Agreed. There is absolutely no call or place for this in the woods.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Scotty
I don't want someone using a scope scanning in my direction so I better not be doing it in their direction.

Sounds about like the "Golden Rule".

As important as the "First Commandment" mentioned by Steelhead.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is an old thread on a different topic, but similar, and the variety of responses are "interesting" to say the least.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...88365/all/Pointed_my_spotting_scope_at_a

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not for a second not EVER

Take 450 hunters as clients in your life, then judge them using an Average for skills they have.

Guaranteed you will see this as I do. Never point a gun at a thing you don't intend to shoot period.

The safety of guns is so casual and taken for granted by a majority is very scary to me. I've been asked countless times what scares me more brown Bears or lions having been a PH or guide for both.

My simple answer to this is neither, it's the guy with the gun behind or next to me every single time.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My binoculars are just as important to me while hunting as my rifle is. Why would anyone scan using a "monocular" rifle scope? Dang, spend a few dollars, buy some binos, and see what you have been missing! And if you already have binos, why the heck are you scanning with your rifle scope?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd not use my rifle scope just to scan terrain. But if I see a game animal where there is a good possibility of taking a shot right now I'm not going to waste time checking it out with my binoculars. Very often you have seconds to make a decision. I'll use the scope on my rifle first. If I decide to pass, or feel it needs a better look then I'd go to the binoculars.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JGRaider,

It seems there are many here who seem to think you ask, "Does it bother you if someone points a rifle at you?" I don't scan with a rifle scope. I asked a guy I used to work with this question. "That's what they're for," he informed. He didn't have binoculars.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
If you are scanning me with a scope, you best prepare for incoming rounds!

So you would actually fire on someone for that?
What other excuse would you use for shooting someone?people who don't know better are dangerous, but it seems some who do know better are worse.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never met a good hunter that used his rifle scope to glass..

Besides the safety concerns of it, I actually like to find the critters I'm looking for, not look like some dick that doesn't have the first clue.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A rifle scope is an aiming device . Binoculars are for glassing.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JJ

You have far more experience guiding than I do but in the outfit I worked for the camps I was in it normally fell to me to deliver the "safety lecture" on changeover days

I explained to our clients that some of them had been hunting and handling firearms longer than I had, that our rules were no reflection upon their skills or abilities. Many of them no doubt were proponents of a hot chamber from hunting back east in thick timber. Add to that we're hunting in a bear rich environment and the heightened sense of awareness of our place on the food chain hunting in proximity to bears. I'm sure many of them were uncomfortable with our policy, but I had to explain it was strictly enforced by our outfitter

After the scopin incident we added that part to the safety seminar

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
This is an old thread on a different topic, but similar, and the variety of responses are "interesting" to say the least.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...88365/all/Pointed_my_spotting_scope_at_a

Thank you, an interesting read.
Here is one in return. (Read the comments below)
http://newatlas.com/kill-shot-camera-hunting-rifle/21802/

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Never a good idea to use a rifle scope to "glass". You have no idea what your rifle is going to be pointed at. Blows the muzzle control rule!

I have been viewed through a rifle scope and it is very unnerving. He wasn't just scanning, he was watching me through his scope. I was dragging a dead hog down a road and had an orange vest on. He was hunting the road. The guy was too young to be hunting by himself and I took the opportunity to give him an education.

Harry
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by las

Regardless, if you scope me, expect incoming.

You are an ass!

interesting that a person deemed as an armed trespasser of private lands would call me an ass for
pointing a gun at him.....then as the trespasser decide to open fire.

I concede you have an arguable point from your skewed perspective. Up here, much Native land abuts public land, with no fences, boundary markers, or postings. It is a line drawn on a map somewhere, possibly not even surveyed. One tree or tundra tussock looks a whole lot like another. Winter snow machine and ATV trails between villages and other points of interest cross many such parcels. It IS the responsibility of the hunter to not trespass if anyone cares (although the law does not spell out just how one is to determine that from the conditions existing), which some do and some do not. It is quite easy to unknowingly get unto private property while hunting public lands. Or get into National Park, while hunting adjacent public land. Ask Jeff King.

They will let you know if you do without pointing a scoped rifle at you. Or an un-scoped one. If they care. Everyone except SOME National Park Service Rangers, anyway, who like pulling their guns....

It is clear why no one will hunt within rifle range of you, and they have to stick you out there in that "remote" country all by yourself.

I have been following your posts since you started, and have a broad base for my opinion of your ass-i-tude, not just this single issue.

I myself can and often am an ass. Doesn't mean I cannot recognize it in myself and others.

And I'm deplorable too. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I finally solved this little problem by strapping my binos to the top of my scope. So now I don't ever have to use the scope to scan for anything anymore.

Dude. Go all in and strap your spotlight up there too. Works great during a new moon.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not only is it a safety issue to scan with a rifle,. It's too much work.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use a cheap pair of Tasco Binoculars to look for game....The peep sight on my '94 isn't much good for looking for critters...Only for shootin' 'em

Don't let the name fool Ya!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, now that would be funny, seeing a guy "scanning" for game with a peep sight......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by VernAK
If you are scanning me with a scope, you best prepare for incoming rounds!

So you would actually fire on someone for that?
What other excuse would you use for shooting someone?people who don't know better are dangerous, but it seems some who do know better are worse.

This^^^^. I've seen many times that others inadvertently let their muzzle sweep across another person in a group hunting doves, ducks, quail, rabbits, coyotes etc around blinds or getting in and out of vehicles, and im talking about so called safe, seasoned hunters who at times have a lapse in what to me is the main cause of accidental shootings.

Muzzle direction at close range is the ultimate real safety.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (allscopedup, 35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.