Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking for a new 270 Win. Specifications are:
Stainless/synthetic
Floorplate
At least 22" barrel
7#
$1000ish

From my research, it looks like Winchester and Remington are the only ones that fit in this category.
The Winchester Ultimate Shadow is about $300 cheaper, but the stock on the EW looks like it's worth the extra $

HR IC

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an EW in 308 and overall would agree, but only after replacing the stock with an Edge. I didn't care for the factory stock. It is a close call on the Ultimate Shadow. On one hand you can save $300 if you're going to replace the stock anyway. But if you buy the EW you could sell the factory stock for $200 and have a fluted barrel. It is almost a wash. I wanted a 22" barrel which comes on the EW instead of 24" on the US.

I'd buy the EW because it comes with the barrel length I wanted. You might like the EW stock. I'm neutral on fluted barrels. They seem to reduce weight a little compared to a sporter weight barrel while offering a stiffer barrel than the Featherweight. But fluted or not wouldn't be a deal killer either way for me.

Last edited by JMR40; 06/03/17.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A buddy of mine had an EW in 30-06 that had problems with the bedding. Winchester customer service drug their feet about making it good so he put it into a McMillan.

In the end, the EW is in a B&C stock, and it's just not up to the same standard as a McMillan. Rather than taking a risk on the B&C, I'd scrounge up a used stainless FWT and put it into a McMillan. It might run a little more than your $1k budget, but I think you'll have a far superior end product.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by okie john
A buddy of mine had an EW in 30-06 that had problems with the bedding. Winchester customer service drug their feet about making it good so he put it into a McMillan.

In the end, the EW is in a B&C stock, and it's just not up to the same standard as a McMillan. Rather than taking a risk on the B&C, I'd scrounge up a used stainless FWT and put it into a McMillan. It might run a little more than your $1k budget, but I think you'll have a far superior end product.

Okie John

This would open the option to other actions and not be limited to Winchester as well.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd also consider the Montana Rifle Co. X2, as well as a new Remington 700 AWR. I'm actually shopping for basically the same thing you are, and those are on my list to check out. I'm having a hard time finding either one locally to handle, and am reluctant to order one online without holding one first.

IC B2

M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
All ever owned has been factory stocks, so I figured a B&C stock would be an upgrade. Sounds like maybe the Ultimate Shadow may be worth considering then upgrading to a McMillan.

I can't find a new Winchester to fondle around here either. Seems everything is a Tikka or knockoff, and Remington. I don't like plastic magazines, nor ones that hang below the stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find a used Classic Stainless from the New Haven plant (6 digit or lower serial #) and put it in a McMillan. You will probably break the budget by a couple hundred, but you'll have a nicer rifle.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Howa 1500 stainless are still floating around here and there. They weigh just a bit more than 7lb, but are built just as well and the Winchester or Remington. You could have one for a lot less than $1K as well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had an exreme weather in 30-06, was very accurate. Actually to accurate as I got bored with it and traded for Kimber 308.

I didnt mind the B&C stock, I thought it was equal to a Micky.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know whether replacing stocks is necessary or a current fad. I have two Extremes and the factory stocks are fine.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was in the same boat as you a few months back, I wanted a nicer high end stainless synthetic stock, Remington was out of the question, the AWR looked good but I wasnt ready to spend the $$$ on a remington, it came down to the Montana X2 and the m70 extreme weather. I couldnt find an x2 in 30-06 so I got the m70.

I really happy with the purchase, I had an older one that my dad loves and the newer stock is much better than the old one, fit and finish is good and its a very accurate rifle. Im sure Id be equally happy with an X2 but I have zero complaints about the m70.

The B&C stocks arent as good as manners or Mccmillans IMO but they are much MUUUUUCH better than factory plastic tupperware stocks. Down the road Ill get the mccmilan but the B&C stock will more than adequate until then so no worries.

The M70 extreme is an awesome all around 30-06 for me, its going to be my moose gun this year.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd find a Ruger stainless on GB for a lot cheaper and tougher alternative.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would find a ultimate shadow SS either New Haven or Portugal and throw it in an edge stock. The new extremes seem to fit my hand better but the old model was a 2x4.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lotech
I don't know whether replacing stocks is necessary or a current fad. I have two Extremes and the factory stocks are fine.

Its a fad that compares with being the best dressed Walmart shopper on week days. It's a prestige thng for some. Others just follow the crowd because they read it on the internet.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The EW's are really nice. I have an early EW in 30-06 that had the said "chunky" stock. While it was ok, I eventually went to a McM Hunter stock, which was a big improvement but a lot of $.

I have handled a couple of the newer EW's, and their stocks seem slimmer. I'm not sure that I'd have sprung for the McM if mine had come with the newer design stock. I agree with an earlier poster that with the EW you could sell the stock if you really decided you wanted the McM, and be close to the same cost as the Shadow. I like the fluted barrel and the 22" length for my '06 (the Shadow is 24" I think), but for E. Wash hunting maybe a 270 in 24" would work better for you.

As to suggestions to find an older New Haven rifle, I'd have to disagree based on my experience. I had a 5 digit stainless M70 in 30-06, and I found the EW to be better in every way, save I like the older trigger a bit better.

Good luck!

E
E
I was looking to build a good SS rifle, so I went with a 7mm-08 SS ultimate shadow and dropped it in a B&C medalist stock. Very happy the way it turned out, and came in under $1K.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Alex38
I'd also consider the Montana Rifle Co. X2, as well as a new Remington 700 AWR. I'm actually shopping for basically the same thing you are, and those are on my list to check out. I'm having a hard time finding either one locally to handle, and am reluctant to order one online without holding one first.

Been happy with my MRC X2. Made no changes and it was very accurate out of the box.

[Linked Image]

200 yard target. 300 WM 165 Barnes TTSX. Adjusting the zero between the groups. Also have a 260 and 308 in the XWR which is the predecessor version in a B&C stock, that are comparable for accuracy and all are stock with no changes.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know if they are the best, but they are some of the best production rifles I've handled. I have two.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The Montana Rifle Co product is why I have my Winchester Extreme 30-06 for sale on here.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have an EW in .300 WSM. I have read about the stocks being too thick, but haven't had any trouble with mine.

Brad here on the campfire put out a list of items that he checks and/or items that he touches up on any new rifle. Just some final polishing, the feed ramp, rails etc. I did those things and adjusted my trigger to just under 3 lbs.

It feels and handles like a custom gun to me. The bolt is as slick as anything, it feeds and functions like "butter" as they say.

I haven't found a factory load that it cares for but my handloads shoot to 3/4 MOA. I only wish I'd just gotten it in .308 or 7MM-08 instead of the short mag. I just don't need that much gun.

Mine weighs 8lbs with sling, 3.5-10x40 Leupold and 3 rounds of ammo, not sure you could get any lighter than that with a .270 but probably close with the 2 inch shorter barrel.

Mine was made in the states before the production moved to I think Portugal, and is in my opinion a very well made rifle for the grand it cost me.

Bob.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.