Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L

shooting 270 seems hard to remove cooper in rifle barrel. What are some good products out there that work and won't hurt your barrel.

Thanks

GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Don't know if it's the best but "Wipe Out- Patch Out" works for me.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1...+-+Gun+Cleaning-_-Sharp+Shoot+R-_-112089

Last edited by EZEARL; 06/06/17.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Another vote for Wipe-Out products. Either Wipe-out(foam) or Patch-Out(liquid) work well. I've also used Montana Extreme Copper Killer. It works well but has a strong ammonia odor and because of that I prefer the Wipe-Out products. They clean up with just water too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Butch's Bore Shine Or Montana Extreme if I want fast results. Wipe Out/Patch Out if time is no issue, it's much slower acting.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by LFD

shooting 270 seems hard to remove cooper in rifle barrel. What are some good products out there that work and won't hurt your barrel.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to Dyna Bore Coat it.

DF

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
How did Cooper get in the barrel?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty sure someone will make a comment about this "cooper" thing you've got in your barrel. Me, I use Barnes CR-10, 'cause it works on carbon, copper, lead....just about anything. Probably take out cooper too! grin (The main thing is to be patient and follow the directions.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB Bore Paste is about the best I've used for copper and carbon fouling.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Define best. Might mean quickest or might mean safest or might mean something in between. See the thread from last year Well, whatta ya know? I guess you do still have to clean them... for a nice extended back and forth. This from Mr. Barsness who also says things in his various books - which should all be on any reader's shelf.

CR-10 works, but if you leave it inside the bore more than 15 minutes it will pit the surface--as will any other water/ammonia based copper solvent like Sweet's.

Many shooters prefer oil-based solvents such as Montana X-Treme or Wipe-Out because you can leave them in the bore as long as you want and they won't pit the bore. I usually leave oil-based solvents in overnight, letting them do the work, instead of me having to stand there and push another patch through every 15 minutes.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
LFD,

All the products mentioned so far work, but here are some more specific comments on each:

Wipe-Out, Patch-Out and Montana X-Treme (whether the standard version or Copper Killer) are all safe to put in the bore and just leave there as they dissolve the copper. None of them require any more work other than running a patch or two through the bore after they've soaked for a while. I usually leave Wipe-Out, Patch-Out and standard Montana X-Treme in overnight, and use Copper Killer if I want the copper out fast. It will usually clean all but the worst copper-fouling out within half an hour or less.

Barnes CR-10 requires running a soaked patch through every 10-15 minutes, or it will etch the bore.

In my experience Butch's Bore Shine doesn't remove copper as quickly or effectively as the above products, but some people like it.

J-B Bore Paste works fast, but does the job by actually rubbing the copper out of the bore, so you have to push a cleaning rod back and forth until the job's done. Using it consistently to clean out copper can actually make a bore copper-foul quicker, and the fouling heavier.

Dyna Bore-Coat is a bore treatment that keeps as much copper fouling from occurring in the first place, reducing build-up by at least 80%--and making cleaning much easier. It works very well, and lasts as long as the barrel. It sounds like your .270 might be a candidate. A kit costs around $45 but is enough for several barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patch out. They even sell accelerator to speed it up. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One independent test showed the Patch-Out accelerator can etch bores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anybody using Bore Tech stuff?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have used Sweets for many years with zero issues. There might be "better" stuff out these days but I see no reason to change.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I didn't know Cooper could climb in a barrel??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EdM
I have used Sweets for many years with zero issues. There might be "better" stuff out these days but I see no reason to change.

I used to use Sweet's, but now I like being able to let the rifle sit unattended without the danger of etching the bore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I didn't know Cooper could climb in a barrel??

If it's my grandson, Cooper, I wouldn't say he couldn't manage it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been using Wipeout since it first came out and Chuck Hawkes revied it. I have take a CLEAN bore and gotten it spotless after using Wipeout. All I ever use

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What is best?

I suspect but will never be interested enough to test that there is more difference from patch material and fit than from any of the name brand products mentioned.

A rough tight fitting patch likely does a better job of mechanical removal after the cleaner works and a loose old diaper patch likely does a better job of spreading the cleaner. A little extra effort to get the cleaning compound spread around the throat and near the muzzle may help too. A patch that squeegee's itself dry may work going in wet into the throat and then maybe having cleaner added near the muzzle to be spread around at that end.

There are all sorts of articles and pictures of bore guides and chamber plugs with O-ring seals. Many instructions around including YouTube on getting the bore cleaner well distributed and the bore wet. I wonder how we ever got along without the O-ring seals and and answer is probably not as well. Maybe a range of proper tools makes more difference than the name on the bottle.

Shooter's Choice say has always worked for me but takes forever - that is days or weeks of soaking. I suppose I am most likely to start with something aggressive and then go to an overnight soak after I lose enthusiasm. I probably over clean. Nobody is ever going to buy one my rifles cheap because I think the rifle is shot out and discover the rifle works just fine after a good cleaning.

I avoid JB for any sort of routine repeated cleaning because Gale MacMillan didn't like it and because I know it can be used for fitting parts so I try to limit it to that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.