-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,665 of 1,842 1 2 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was in a fishing tourney on saturday, we took 10th place out of 60 boats. prefishing the morning before my mom caught this one, anyone wanna venture a guess on size? we didn't get a weight on her, just length and released it, mom's getting a fiberglass mount made.

we couldn't catch a lunker during the tournament, little man did get a 21" for our big fish of the day, then we added a 19.5", 17" 16.5" and a half dozen 15.5" though we could only weigh 6 fish. we missed being in the money by 2.5 lbs. if we hadn't lost one dandy at the boat we would have placed much higher.
[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
So guys, what do I want to get in the way of a modern in-line that will accept a scope? It's got to be lightweight and easy to use and work on. Nothing that's going to be hard to find scope bases for either. Would like to stay between $300-$400. My son bought a little entry level CVA Buckhorn, and it's so easy to use, it all most feels like cheating.

I got some sort of cheap kit from TC, at fleet farm. The whole thing was like $215. An Impact I think it's called. I literally did nothing to sight it in. It was dead on with 5 shots at 75 yards. I used 2 50gr powder pellets, 777, Hornady sabots in 240gr XTP, and let er rip. It is drilled and tapped, uses a 209 primer and couldn't be easier to clean.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Tom-I'll check it out.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff,

You know better than to do this without calling me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/654170512

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/654474762

The second one is in Burnsville.

I have a pair, both will shoot right with your Savage.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone
So guys, what do I want to get in the way of a modern in-line that will accept a scope? It's got to be lightweight and easy to use and work on. Nothing that's going to be hard to find scope bases for either. Would like to stay between $300-$400. My son bought a little entry level CVA Buckhorn, and it's so easy to use, it all most feels like cheating.

I got some sort of cheap kit from TC, at fleet farm. The whole thing was like $215. An Impact I think it's called. I literally did nothing to sight it in. It was dead on with 5 shots at 75 yards. I used 2 50gr powder pellets, 777, Hornady sabots in 240gr XTP, and let er rip. It is drilled and tapped, uses a 209 primer and couldn't be easier to clean.

That's the exact recipe I use. CVA really has done a terrific job in putting out a good shooting ML rifle with a good barrel that's easy to take down and clean. I wouldn't hesitate buying one.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
was in a fishing tourney on saturday, we took 10th place out of 60 boats. prefishing the morning before my mom caught this one, anyone wanna venture a guess on size? we didn't get a weight on her, just length and released it, mom's getting a fiberglass mount made.

we couldn't catch a lunker during the tournament, little man did get a 21" for our big fish of the day, then we added a 19.5", 17" 16.5" and a half dozen 15.5" though we could only weigh 6 fish. we missed being in the money by 2.5 lbs. if we hadn't lost one dandy at the boat we would have placed much higher.
[Linked Image]

34"? That's a beautiful fish and what a great shot! Good on you for C & R.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58
Jeff,

You know better than to do this without calling me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/654170512

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/654474762

The second one is in Burnsville.

I have a pair, both will shoot right with your Savage.

LMAO-sorry Boss! I'll be in touch.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

[Linked Image]

34"? That's a beautiful fish and what a great shot! Good on you for C & R.

29 1/4" Probably 9 pounds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

[Linked Image]

29 5/8

9.7 lbs

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They're a good solid break action that is very accurate. They clean easy, load easy. I run a Meopta on one of mine and a Nikon Monarch Gold on the other. To get the best accuracy you have to find the sabots that the rifle likes (probably TCs), all four of the CVAs I have had liked them best.

As for bullets...Barnes T-EZ are the best I have seen. The only deer I've shot with the Barnes T-EZ that didn't go straight down I couldn't begin to explain. Broke both shoulders, turned the lungs but for a fist size chunk of one into red soup and shredded the heart. Made it 60 yards. with a huge hole all the way through. I did kill four with low velocity (quiet) loads. Got great expansion, two holes and no tracking needed.

For powder, get some Blackhorn 209. Probably 66 grains by weight will be most accurate, it was in all my CVAs. If I remember right, the low velocity loads were under 40 grains by weight and worked perfect at 50 yards Pyrodex and 777 are dirty and make for tough reloading. Black Max works, but BH-209 is better.

CCI 209 magnum primers are good.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally got the new/used boat out for a shakedown run yesterday. Tried to put it on Prior and the ramp was filled to the gills, so we went over to Spring Lake. Once I figured out you had to push the key in to activate the choke, it fired right up and ran fine. It's an older boat-a 78 Sylvan 16 footer witha 75 horse Johson. The old Johnson purred like a kitten. It's no speed demon with 4 in the boat, but that's no big deal. Trolling motor and depth finder worked just fine, and we didn't take on any water, so it's not leaking. It's bigger and heavier than my little 14' Lund was, but I'm looking forward to putting some fish in the livewell real soon.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That sucker should boogie with a 75hp on it Jeff. You may have to play with the trim til you dial it in. Or a different prop. My 16.5 alumacraft has a 75hp Suzuki 2s and it cooks! It should not have that motor on there, lol. You need to be really careful with that sucker!

Jack and I got it fixed up and ready to rock. We are going to play on it soon. Baseball this weekend tho.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you guys are all pretty close, it was just touching the 30" mark on the tape, didn't get a weight but it was roughly 10 lbs give or take a 1/2 lb.

total time out of the water was less than a minute, dad wanted several different pics and poses. I said nope grab it it this way mom. I snapped a pic, dad did too because he had his cell phone out and back in the water she went.

pretty cool to have my mom catch that fishing with me smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally got the new/used boat out for a shakedown run yesterday. Tried to put it on Prior and the ramp was filled to the gills, so we went over to Spring Lake. Once I figured out you had to push the key in to activate the choke, it fired right up and ran fine. It's an older boat-a 78 Sylvan 16 footer witha 75 horse Johson. The old Johnson purred like a kitten. It's no speed demon with 4 in the boat, but that's no big deal. Trolling motor and depth finder worked just fine, and we didn't take on any water, so it's not leaking. It's bigger and heavier than my little 14' Lund was, but I'm looking forward to putting some fish in the livewell real soon.

I'm looking at upgrading my 14' lund to something like that as well. found a fixer upper locally for $500 and might go look at it in the next day or two if I get a chance. when the waves get a little on the rough side, my lil 14' can't keep up. and it's pretty open and windy here most of the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
That sucker should boogie with a 75hp on it Jeff. You may have to play with the trim til you dial it in. Or a different prop. My 16.5 alumacraft has a 75hp Suzuki 2s and it cooks! It should not have that motor on there, lol. You need to be really careful with that sucker!

Jack and I got it fixed up and ready to rock. We are going to play on it soon. Baseball this weekend tho.
The motor doesn't have trim or tilt on it, so I'm limited to whatever adjustment I can do via the adjustment "rod" on the transom. I'll more it up a couple notches and see what that does next time I'm out. We had four of us in there. None of us are little folk. Probably close to 900 lbs. or more. I was just glad everything worked. The only thing I didn't try was the livewell. I've got to play with that next time out. A question-is it safe to put the plug in from the outside? It's a real PIA to crawl back in under the splash well to place and pull the plug from the inside.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yup, I started putting the plug in on the outside just for ease, I tighten it pretty well, but have had zero issues

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ryan. That's pretty much what I was thinking.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you're welcome Jeff, I had to watch someone else do it before I did with mine smile I too wasn't keen on the idea the first time, now I don't even think about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nasty weather moving through the Twin Cities right now. Winds up to 70 mph. Tom's end of town is getting hit right now. Hope he's okay. We went out and put everything away that would be blown away. 9 a.m and it's all most dark out. Wind's really howling.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I usually put it outside or I forget to pull it when I'm finished. Which in this damn state, will get you a ticket.

Page 1,665 of 1,842 1 2 1663 1664 1665 1666 1667 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.