Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by shaman
I have a Remington that was probably bought at Walmart. It's polyester. I got it at a yard sale 10 years ago. Wally World usually has them or something like them in September. Go early to get your size.

I have 2-3 of them I bought in a Walmart January sale for $5 a piece. I also have the Cabelas,but it is too heavy

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Make sure camo orange is legal where you intend to use it. For example it cannot be used legally in Ontario.

Jim

Why in the world not?

Some states figure that it hides too much of the orange. OTOH, here in Idaho we don't have to wear orange at all if we don't want to. They recommend it but don't require it. That's the way it should be.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple different Cabela's camo-orange fleece vests, the BASE CAMP and the ULTIMATE PACK styles. I like the BASE CAMP when I'm not going far from my vehicle or wherever I can safely/securely leave my day-pack. I like the ULTIMATE PACK when I'm going to be farther from my vehicle or secure base and need to bring more "stuff", but don't want to carry everything in my day-pack. I usually attach my vest to my windproof fleece jacket with safety pins or horse blanket pins so that I can take them off and put them on together as one unit.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Yep,they are called cruiser's vests and can be found online. These things are available in just about every material and are generally built to last .

Filson makes an orange "Cruiser" vest - or used to. They're very nice, but a bit pricey.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Academy Sports usually has some good ones as season approaches under the brand Game Winner in your price range. They have a couple of pockets, but not too busy with useless frills. I don't see any of them showing online now though, just some cheapy ones. I have a plain fleece one that I like, however, in Texas it may start out cold in the morning and be warm by 10 or 11am. So it only gets used if I know for certain the weather will stay cold enough.

Here's a picture I found of one on pinterest since Academy isn't showing one right now:

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why in the world not?

I can't answer for all states, but GA requires 500 SQ IN of SOLID orange. Even without the SOLID requirement the orange camo wouldn't come to 500 SQ IN of orange in a vest. Maybe a complete outfit.

Not saying I agree with the orange requirement. I've seen studies showing that states that do not require orange don't have any more accidental shootings than those who do. The problem with requiring orange is that it creates a mindset that if I don't see orange then it is OK to shoot. Not everyone in the woods is a hunter and even those wearing orange may be positioned so that the orange isn't visible to the shooter. I think that in states where orange is not required hunters do a better job of clearly identifying the target.

But it is what it is. I don't see wearing solid orange as a disadvantage, and the orange camo wouldn't improve my odds of success over solid orange. But it might reduce the effectiveness enough that I could get shot by a careless hunter. Living in a state where it is required, I certainly wouldn't go hunting without it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
For and all around orange vest, I chose the Carhartt. Water resistant cotton. Quiet and comfortable but now for warm weather.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another option is to look at forestry supply places. I have a timber cruise vest from when I worked for a timber company many years ago. Has some handy pockets and works great.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Where I live,forest workers wear orange vests when they are cruising timber. They appear to be well made but lightweight. I bet the forestry supply companies carry them.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=vest

Lots of options here. Be careful as some of them will not be lightweight but rather bulky with too many pockets. The better ones will run you north of $50 as well.

Last edited by country_20boy; 06/07/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
http://www.westcoasthunting.ca/product/browning-vest-country/

I bought one like this several years ago and have been pleased with it. They are very hard to find and I ordered from some obscure website and paid about $45 if I recall. Only way I knew it existed was on Browning's catalog and then I googled until I found it.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by las
Neon pink is much more visible.

If one is brave enough....

Blaze Orange is the most visible to the human eye, and it's what most state laws require.

I actually see pink better.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cheap, bright orange, cotton, no pockets. That is what works for me.

Sam......

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A little more than you wanted to spend but......http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/mens-hunting-clothing/mens-blaze-orange-clothing/mens-blaze-orange-vests|/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104222880/i/104141880/cabelas-blaze-pro-guide-ii-vest/1811487.uts

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am fortunate to live in a State that requires orange but it can be just a hat if you want. No Square inch minimum requirement. When I lived in Colorado my memory is that camo orange was not a legal garment.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Make sure camo orange is legal where you intend to use it. For example it cannot be used legally in Ontario.

Jim

Why in the world not?

Some states figure that it hides too much of the orange. OTOH, here in Idaho we don't have to wear orange at all if we don't want to. They recommend it but don't require it. That's the way it should be.

I missed the word "camo" Ain't legal here in Missouri either.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

β€œIn Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wore out a number of cruiser vests in my career in the Forest Service and still have two orange ones, one each from Forestry Supplies and Ben Meadows. They are sturdy and have lots of pockets but not necessarily the size and shape you may want. (I used to have my working ones custom made because of the equipment I carried.

I also have a light simple one provided by Washington State when I taught hunter safety.

This year I'm going to try a Cabela's ProGuide II vest. It does not meet many of your preferences for simple and light. Last fall I decided to try a different vest than what I had on hand. I have not used it yet.

Colorado does not accept camo orange, Utah discourages the use of it but does not ban it outright like Colorado.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jim

Why in the world not?

I guess because blaze orange is meant to be seen and once you introduce the camo design it reduces its visibility.

Jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When it's warm I wear flouresant orange t-shirts when cooler flouresant orange hoodie with sleeves cut off.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,350 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,704
Posts18,534,752
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.