-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't sure where is the best place to ask this question so I thought I'd try here first.
I’ve been having a tough time getting my Remington 7600 30-06 Carbine to consistently shoot well off the bench. I’ve tried different loads, bullet weights, rings, scopes etc. I’m wondering if there is a “trick” to shooting a pump gun off the bench.
The action cycles itself during recoil so I’m wondering if my lack of success has something to do with how the fore end is positioned or held. The only contact I have with the gun is with my right hand on the grip and trigger, and my cheek on the stock.
For a front rest I've been using either a Gorilla Ridge shooting bag or a "owl ear" leather bag along with a leather rabbit ear rear bag.
So what do you guys say? Should I use a softer front rest? Maybe hold the fore end with my left hand? Do you have a different, successful technique for shooting pump guns vs. bolt action rifles?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I held the forearm on mine, as I do most of my rifles.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not had issues with the 7600 off bags, but had issues with the 760's. I've had several 7600's that were sub MOA - 5 shots.
The fix for the 760's was to rest the magazine in the front bag.

MD has written about relieving the fore end on 760's to get them to shoot. A late article on a reborn 35 Whelen 760 was very accurate.

The hangers were redesigned in the 7600 which made it easier to get good groups off bags. I suspect that your 7600 may have an issue with the fore-end. Just a guess.

Try a couple of things, try resting your arm on a bag and holding the rifle.
Try resting the rifles on the magazine.

Finally, you may want to have the rifle looked at by a competent gunsmith or you might try the gunsmith forum on the 24hourcampfire forum.

But, I think Mule Deer to be very knowledgeable on the pump action Remington's and would follow his advice.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 760 & 7600. I need to hold the forearm of my 7600 to get consistent groups. The 760 gets better groups using a soft padded front rest but I have started holding it with my left hand too. My son & I both found a Bull Bag type rest caused us to hit high and right by one inch. Owl ear type front rests don't work well for me. I have a "sausage roll" type pad on top of my front rest. I suggest using a PAST recoil shield at the bench with your pump because they kick hard and will cause a flinch sooner or later.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
+1 on what Bugger said! I have had the best luck holding the forearm resting my hand on a bag. 7600 isn't a target rifle so I am more than happy with 1-1/4" +/- at 100 yards. Even 2" is OK for most real life hunting where very few shots are much over 200 yds. About the only time my 7600 makes it out anymore is coyote or jack rabbit hunting, but it's still a fun gun to shoot and work with.
Hope you enjoy yours.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ON THE BENCH U DON'T HOLD THE BARREL DOWN NEAR OR ON FOR ARM STOP EVERY TIME FOR ME

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the advice guys. The fore end screw was a little loose too. Anyway, I flattened out my Gorilla bag and put a pillow on top, and also held the fore end. The groups shrunk down to 1 1/4" with a 180 Hornady Round Nose and 55 grains of IMR4350. The Campfire is a great place for advice.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thats the bullet I always wanted to shoot out of mine, never could get it to group. The Sierra Pro-hunters are another story.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.