Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi AussiGW,

I will do the same as RevMike! What you have wrote about the 7x57, also my favorite cartridge after 45 years of use in EVERY big game animal down here, do extend to many others and, mainly, to the real hunting. Well done!

Best Regards

PH

GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
The 7x57 offers a huge lesson for those who would listen.
For the majority of hunters it is always enough, always loaded correctly, always adequate, always underestimated, seldom pushed to the limit and always within recoil tolerances.

With a 7x57, there is no need for a 6.5 cringemore, or any other cartridge either side of it.
Because it is a hunter s cartridge, you are more careful and thoughtful with distance, placement and bullet choice matched to the game you are hunting.
Because it doesn't belt you to death and blast the ears off the side of your head, you tend to practice with it, trust it and plan for it in your hunts.
Because it shoots flat enough over usual hunting distances, the scope does not have to be a multi-dial telescope.
The modest powder charges work well in a 22 inch barrel which means a relatively light and slim profiled rifle can be made/used/selected that is easy to carry, comfortable to port, natural to point and an extension of concentration and deployment in the field.

If it goes bang and the bullet hits where you planned, the load it good.
If it feeds so you do not have to look at the action or drop the butt from your shoulder, you have have competence.
If the animal did not drop dead like the others before it, it is more likely that it is because it is a different animal, and not the cartridges fault.
If you think you need more, maybe you haven't thought enough on it.
If you think there is better out there, maybe you haven't used enough cartridges or taken enough game to really know.

Most of all, your 7x57 doesn't care what powder you use, what bullet you choose, what latest offering is out there. Options are nothing more than a flippant phase to a 7x57. It has been there and done that. Now it is your turn.

John
PS: I quite like the cartridge.

Absolutely true words! Enough is enough and more is not needed.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
The 7x57 offers a huge lesson for those who would listen.
For the majority of hunters it is always enough, always loaded correctly, always adequate, always underestimated, seldom pushed to the limit and always within recoil tolerances.

With a 7x57, there is no need for a 6.5 cringemore, or any other cartridge either side of it.
Because it is a hunter s cartridge, you are more careful and thoughtful with distance, placement and bullet choice matched to the game you are hunting.
Because it doesn't belt you to death and blast the ears off the side of your head, you tend to practice with it, trust it and plan for it in your hunts.
Because it shoots flat enough over usual hunting distances, the scope does not have to be a multi-dial telescope.
The modest powder charges work well in a 22 inch barrel which means a relatively light and slim profiled rifle can be made/used/selected that is easy to carry, comfortable to port, natural to point and an extension of concentration and deployment in the field.

If it goes bang and the bullet hits where you planned, the load it good.
If it feeds so you do not have to look at the action or drop the butt from your shoulder, you have have competence.
If the animal did not drop dead like the others before it, it is more likely that it is because it is a different animal, and not the cartridges fault.
If you think you need more, maybe you haven't thought enough on it.
If you think there is better out there, maybe you haven't used enough cartridges or taken enough game to really know.

Most of all, your 7x57 doesn't care what powder you use, what bullet you choose, what latest offering is out there. Options are nothing more than a flippant phase to a 7x57. It has been there and done that. Now it is your turn.

John
PS: I quite like the cartridge.

Reminds me of the alleged reply by Rolls Royce (pre-WWII) when they were asked how many horsepower their car had: "Sufficient."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really good info here to keep and try in the XTR waiting to take a place in the shooter's side fo the rack. Thx Ya'll
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
J
JTPinTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So, we finally took the 7x57 out long range to see what it would do. I was pretty impressed from a sporter weight rifle and fixed 10x scope. My son, who is pretty new to LR shooting, shot this group at 1055 yards. The dope needs .1 mil more elevation, and he needed .2 more on his wind hold, but it put three in 7.25". I'll take sub-3/4 MOA at 1k plus out of a hunting rifle any day. That 162 ELD-M is a legit bullet.

[Linked Image]IMG_3094 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156517515N04/][/url], on Flickr

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
hmmm...maybe them Spaniards was on to somethin...

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dang! I like that business! Great shooting.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,622
Posts18,533,135
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.