-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think if the Glock had debuted with a safety identical in location and operation to the 1911's, it would still be a huge success; and a few less people might have shot themselves in the ass with one.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just to clarify, no one here has said that they have personal difficulty handling a 1911. What some have asserted is that there are now better designs more in tune with modern trends in thinking about concealed carry, personal defense, sidearms. One point wherein modern trends depart favorably from the 1911 regards the absence of a manual thumb safety, which entirely eliminates the possibility of a failure to disengage it in the gravest extreme. This is a statement about technology, not one about an inability to handle a 1911 correctly, although many of the 1911's devotees like to frame it in that way any time someone disagrees with them on this point.

….not wanting to be amazingly arrogant nor oblivious to it……the fact that many (almost all) of the new striker-fired guns have retro-engineered slide (thumb) safeties on their guns AFTER the original specie hit the market would seem to be a giant fly in the ointment of that argument. The Govt. mandated safety on the military version of the Sig 320 would seem to unravel the "obsolescence" issue of the argument that people with an adrenaline dump can't/won't work the safety. The non-Govt mandated companies (S&W M&P for example) voluntarily added the safety (and did a VERY poor job of it btw. So it would seem that "modern trends" as you call them are not a straight and narrow path, in fact, the trend appears to have made a U-turn.

To take this in a slightly different direction, would any of the 1911s devotees care to provide their arguments in favor of having a thumb safety on a personal defense sidearm? I think that might be interesting. Do you feel that you wouldn't be able to safety operate your sidearm without one?
Okey dokey………my wife has a S&W Shield with a hideous little-tiny-miniscule-nubbin of a slide safety, a truly poorly designed and ill-thought-out example of a slide safety; HOWEVER, when I occasionally borrow it and wear it in a "sticky" pocket holster, I very much appreciate having it there compared to the times that I carry a G-43 in the same rig and pocket. With the G-43, I get nervous every time I have to lift my leg to get into my truck, when I sit down or stretch my legs…..with the Shield I don't think/worry about it.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I think if the Glock had debuted with a safety identical in location and operation to the 1911's, it would still be a huge success; and a few less people might have shot themselves in the ass with one.

Yes, I've heard this before. I remember that it was a common point of criticism when it was popular to post that video of the DEA agent who shot himself.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One point wherein modern trends depart favorably from the 1911 regards the absence of a manual thumb safety, which entirely eliminates the possibility of a failure to disengage it in the gravest extreme.

TRH, For the sake of moving your increasingly uninteresting discussion to its logical conclusion, let's stipulate that you - and maybe others - just can't train to a level of proficiency that you can disengage the TS reliably during presentation of a 1911.

A 1911 is perfectly safe to carry cocked with just the grip safety off, in a prioper holster. LTC Cooper cited examples of this practice and I've proven this to myself and consider it to be 'Condition 1/2'. It's not my routine practice, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over proper training, but if I were as convinced as you that i couldn't reliably deactivate the TS, I might consider this as a viable option.

If you prefer something other than a 1911, great for you! No need for sophistry to try to prove the unprovable, or to convince yourself that a majority share your conclusions. Pick your SD pistol and own up to the choice. Hopefully you won't ever need to test it.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
To the OP:

In the same way that a wood burning fireplace is obsolete for home heat.................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I read a while back when Gaston Glock was asked about the problems policed were having with negligent discharges he replied he designed the pistol for the Austrian army and designed it to be carried with an empty chamber. YMMV

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

I read a while back when Gaston Glock was asked about the problems policed were having with negligent discharges he replied he designed the pistol for the Austrian army and designed it to be carried with an empty chamber. YMMV

That makes sense.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I think I've said what I want to say on this topic, and stand by it.

Exactly. There are people claiming to be able to do something vastly different and better than you, but rather than asking "how?" You just keep burying your head deeper in the sand. There are people here with a knowledge base so far above yours that you don't even know what you don't know. And if you were really interested in getting better you'd shut up and start taking notes.

Amazing arrogance. And, worse yet, you seem oblivious to it.

Arrogance is assuming that nobody else is capable of doing something you can't do.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

. One point wherein modern trends depart favorably from the 1911 regards the absence of a manual thumb safety, which entirely eliminates the possibility of a failure to disengage it in the gravest extreme. This is a statement about technology, not one about an inability to handle a 1911 correctly, although many of the 1911's devotees like to frame it in that way any time someone disagrees with them on this point.

Since when did leaving a safety off qualify as technology?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
So really not trying to start a holy war, but I'm just wondering about how people feel about this.

Is low-cap just a deal breaker? Have you had such bad experience you just can't trust ANY 1911? Are you afraid if you carry a 1911 you'll be required to dress like an old man?

No.

Y'all can argue the details if you want.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I still favor the 1911 over any and all Glocks. Glocks just don't fit my hands, and there are other alternatives that DO fit my hands that are equally reliable (XD, M&P). I'd take THOSE pistols over any Glock.

BUT, 1911s, BHPs and CZ-75ish guns fit my hands better yet.

No, they are NOT obsolete.

I liken it more to the air support used in Vietnam. Jets carried big payloads of bombs, but a A-1 Skyraider or two on station is a comfort that a fast-mover cannot match. They both work.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

. One point wherein modern trends depart favorably from the 1911 regards the absence of a manual thumb safety, which entirely eliminates the possibility of a failure to disengage it in the gravest extreme. This is a statement about technology, not one about an inability to handle a 1911 correctly, although many of the 1911's devotees like to frame it in that way any time someone disagrees with them on this point.

Combining that with a trigger type that doesn't require one (any more than a double action revolver does) is what I'm referring to.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Obsolete? No.. Heavy? Yep.. But the right high-quality holster can ease the latter.. I've got a Milt Sparks that clings that Kimber to my waist like saran wrap..

The wrong holster will make it feel like yer carryin' a 12" cement block.. laugh

On the other hand, the extra capacity of (say) the Ruger SR9C (17+) can make it a better choice over the 1911 when traveling in neighborhoods such as North Murderapolis where the little urban troubadours usually travel in packs of 4+... ...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One of our armorers always exclaims, "Ah, a blackpowder pistol." when shown a 1911. IIRC, John Browning submitted, what was to become the 1911, without the thumb safety but, the Army demanded it be added.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Joe
IIRC, John Browning submitted, what was to become the 1911, without the thumb safety but, the Army demanded it be added.

I believe I recall that, as well.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Combining that with a trigger type that doesn't require one (any more than a double action revolver does) is what I'm referring to.

The trigger is not as long of a pull as a double action and with the amount of AD's one could argue that it indeed needs a safety.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The trigger is not as long of a pull as a double action and with the amount of AD's one could argue that it indeed needs a safety.

I can see that as a reasonable basis for disagreement, for sure. Depends on where you place your priorities, i.e., more on eliminating the need to disengage a manual thumb safety for that crucial first shot out of the holster, or more on decreasing the chance of an unintended discharge. Reasonable people can certainly disagree as to those aims and where they fall on that continuum. As for me, I think the length of travel and weight (on an unaltered Glock's trigger) provides sufficient margin for safety in the direction of that provided by a double action revolver so as not to require a manual thumb safety in order to operate safely. Again, reasonable people may differ on this, and it would depend on where they place the greater emphasis.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course not...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My EDC is a Glock 19. It is so because it is a compromise for me for concealability and capacity. I shoot it very well and don't worry about it going bang.

That being said, if I could afford that sweet Wilson that Mackay posted that is 1911 (2011?) with G19 size and capacity, I would buy it and carry it in a heartbeat. Maybe now that it is out, someone else will copy and make one a normal guy can afford. I see that STI makes one similar, but also similar price..

Last edited by RyanTX; 06/12/17.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joe
One of our armorers always exclaims, "Ah, a blackpowder pistol." when shown a 1911. IIRC, John Browning submitted, what was to become the 1911, without the thumb safety but, the Army demanded it be added.
I'm not sure what conclusions you can draw from that. A look at all of JMB's prototypes will show he always left the safety to the producer of the weapon. I don't think I've ever seen a JMB prototype with a manual safety. Of course all the exposed hammer guns had a half cock, but his guns with no external hammer don't have safeties. That doesn't appear to show any "mantra" of his, but rather allowing the producer (whom is taking all the risk) decide how to address the safety.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 14,694 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,217
Posts18,543,751
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.