Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The American civil war, 1860 to 1865. My great, great, grandfather was in the Union army. The family story is, he had an arm broken by a southern woman that slammed a barn door shut on his arm while he was leading a horse out. He died of typhoid fever, and never returned home. We have a Seith Thomas clock his wife bought with money he sent to her.

Any "Fire" members have ancestors that served on either side?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Two great great grandfathers enlisted for three years in the Union army. One became a sergeant. He took a bullet in the lung and had intermittent problems with it until he died in 1908. Their regiment was in every Confederate state but one, including occupation duty. However their enlistment was up in 1864 and they did not reinlist.

I've often wondered what would motivate Northern farm boys to enlist. Hey, if you didn't like Southerners, and the Southerners wanted to leave your country forever, what's there to complain about?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm named after a great or great great Uncle who fought in the Civil War. He was in a Pennsylvania unit from right on the Ohio-Pa border. I have his sidearm, an 1851 Colt Navy. By far my prized possession.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Southern boys will be along directly to discuss the War of Northern Aggression, I'm sure.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
NW Missouri one member was with Quantrill, another was with Bill Anderson and yet another was with Union regulars out of Iowa...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My great, great grandfather was in the CSA.

He has a CSA headstone in our family plot.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have not been able to learn much about my ancestor, even with a different name spelling. The family histories have conflicting information on where he is buried even.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
The Southern boys will be along directly to discuss the War of Northern Aggression, I'm sure.

P

Great G G grandfather took the youngest children west months before the war started due to the robbery and aggression from Kansans that started well before the war began and yet the family was split by the one older son that married a girl from Iowa. The aggression was real and easily documented. It's just the way it was...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think it was just a BIG misunderstanding.
Not hate. whistle

Being both sides of the family were from MS.i think it is a good bet i had folks in the war.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Either side? Nope. BOTH sides...... My great, great grampa has honorable discharges from the confederate navy AND the union army..

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My great, great grandpappy was on the Union side with a Nebraska detachment (I think) and was with Sherman march through Georgia. I know that he sustained some sort of injury that provided a pension after the war. THat's all I know.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had some forbears in the 93rd Pennsylvania .

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
on both sides.
however i chuckle about this
one of my guys was with sherman when he burned atlanta. One of my wives people was in atlanta when he burned it.
my guy took a bullet and some weeks later died.
he is buried in a federal cemetary near where mr clinton grew up.
when i found that out i wondered out i could have him exhumed and moved to a better spot.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One ancestor fought in the 1st Minnesota Infantry from beginning to end, he was wounded at Gettysburg but survived. We have three letters home that were written for him as he was illiterate.

Another joined the Union army right off the boat. He spent about a year in service before losing a leg. We don't know what unit he served in nor where. He received a pension of $15/month allegedly for being wounded but have not been able to verify if true or not. It seems kind of high for the times and I do not think the practice was very common. Maybe it was payoff for taking the place of a rich person and not a government pension as famity lore believes.

Another was a civilian volunteer during the Sioux Uprising. He was involved in the defense of New Ulm and a couple of other excursions. He was released prior to the end of hostilities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Either side? Nope. BOTH sides...... My great, great grampa has honorable discharges from the confederate navy AND the union army..

now there is a book in the details Huntsman!

had a great granddad with the union. lost a leg and an arm. lived until 1914 when he committed suicide. mom was a little girl then and it was her first funeral.
g gdad's 2 brother's were in Andersonville . One came out.
on my Dads granddad side had a second cousin that was the president of the Confederate states of America.
my dads granddad was in Camp Douglas.
seems my ancestors got the best accommodations .
one of the most humbling experiences of my life was a self guided tour of Gettysburg. i wept.

Last edited by deerstalker; 06/15/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My wifes side. I don't have all the info at hand but a father and son from Indiana were rumored to have been imprisoned at Andersonville and survived.
Another story is a Missouri Hillgenburg was nursed by a Indiana Hillgenburg as a POW and survived the war. The north south split is because ol Daniel had something like 9 kids and over a couple generations they migrated to Indiana and Missouri. At some point the "g" was dropped mostly on the Missouri side and the family was known as Hillenburg.
Like a lot of family folklore it can be difficult to verify all that history.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Numerous ancestors fought on both sides of the Civil War and also many who fought in the American Revolution.

This Civil War portrait of my 3rd great grandfather on my mother's side, Pollard Jackson Brown, 3rd Indiana Cavalry Company F, hangs in our living room. It was passed down to me by my mother who inherited it from my grandfather. He was wounded at Gettysburg and also participated in many other notable battles. The horse "Old Bob" was given a military burial in Howard County, Indiana when he passed many years after the war. Most of my dad's family fought for the CSA but he had one great-grandfather who was in the 14th Battery Indiana Light Artillery, his daughter was my great grandmother and I remember her so I actually knew the daughter of a Civil War vet which is cool.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

There's really no need to re-fight the war at this time, is there?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The American civil war, 1860 to 1865. My great, great, grandfather was in the Union army. The family story is, he had an arm broken by a southern woman that slammed a barn door shut on his arm while he was leading a horse out. He died of typhoid fever, and never returned home. We have a Seith Thomas clock his wife bought with money he sent to her.

Several ancestors on my maternal Grandmother's side from New England, or who had roots in New England, served the Union. Most note worthy were Salmon P. Chase and Grenville M. Dodge. Chase was a successful politician, having represented Ohio as both Governor and U.S. Senator before serving as Lincoln's first Secretary of the Treasury and later as the 6th Chief Justice of the SCOTUS. Dodge had a successful military career, rising to the rank of Major General, and later represented Iowa as a U.S. Congressman and served as the first chief engineer for the transcontinental railroad. Another Union soldier, Phineas Sanborn met a Confederate soldier, Milburne Oglethorpe, during the Atlanta Campaign and after the war they become brothers-in-law, as Sanborn married Oglethorpe's sister and Oglethorpe married Sanborn's sister. Both women shared the same first name, Dorothea, which I'm sure was a little bit confusing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a couple several-greats uncles on the Union side. One was killed at 16, buried in some unknown place, and little other than his name is known. The other came home but would never tell anyone what he'd seen or done. His war history is a complete black box. He was just known as Uncle Robbie.

This is Robbie's enlistment pic. Today they take photos of all new recruits in uniform. Back then, traveling artists carried hundreds of these pre-printed bodies and they'd draw in the heads of the recruits like an assembly line. The quality of the bodies is terrible. Look at the distorted hands and other details. Also, his head is too small for the body.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 64 invisible), 4,024 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,582
Posts18,532,275
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.