Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At anything over about 85-90hp, I'd be looking for a 6-cylinder based on my experiences using both types.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Orange is the new green!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
Orange is the new green!

smile

Not totally, down here anyway.

They came on pretty strong a few years back.. But, the past couple of years after word got around of them not lasting very long, and having durability issues, the popularity has waned quite a bit.

Here the orange is known as more of an economy type tractor, but not really suited for hard daily work.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Orange is the new green!

Not in farm country it isn't.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
My tractor search is over. In the last 3 months and a considerable amount of time last year, I researched many different tractor brands and models. I've always been partial to John Deeres and wanted to find a 2003 to 2007 7220. I gave up finding one. I did get a look at a 7200 2wd and did not like the cab. It looked cheap with lots of plastic in a weird color. I figured the 7220 would have been the same. Of the newer tractors, I ruled out the D and E series John Deeres because they were not built strong enough in a lot of areas and were cheapened in several others. The drawbar bracket was cast iron. Pto clutch was dry instead of wet. The brakes were manual. I liked the manual transmission it had but that was about it. The R series, the fancy JD with all the bells and whistles, I just didn't like. The engine was loud and rough sounding, clutch and reverser pretty abrupt, not smooth enough. The JD all share the same 4 cylinder 4.5 liter engine. D and E from Mexico, R from Germany.

Case IH was in the running too. I was pretty high on a used Maxxum 115 but it had a strange knocking noise at idle and no warranty. Same day I drove the Maxxum 115, I drove a Kubota 110X. I liked it but it had the small displacement 3.8 liter engine that turns 2600 rpm to get rated hp. That got me looking at new models and I discovered the M6-131 that has a 6.1 liter 4 cylinder that produces 125 to 131 hp at 2200 rpm. This tractor has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with 3 years on the powertrain. It has all the bells and whistles of the JD R series but is much less money. Then I found a dealer that had one is stock and he gave me a good price for my two trades. I pulled the trigger Wednesday and it was delivered Friday morning. It remains to be seen if it will turn out to be a good decision or not but for me it was the right one. It compares favorably to the JD 6125M and R and the Maxxum 125. Now if I can just get used to the color!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad you got that picked out! smile

Just out of curiosity, what is the price compared to a Maxxum 125?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Case IH's website never wanted to cooperate when I tried to spec out a new one but it was around 123,000. Used ones locally are priced at about 92,000 with loader. List on the Kubota is around 103,000 with loader. I paid a lot less than that. The used Maxxum 115 would have only been about 9250 cheaper. I wasn't really interested in a new Maxxum 125 as they have gone to a 4 cylinder of 4.5 liters, same size as the JDs.

Kubota's website is the best of the bunch. You can compare comparable models easily and verify with Tractor Data if you don't believe the data.

http://www.kubota.com/product/MSeries/M6101.aspx

I bought the M6-131.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/22/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Any pics?

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...cGRpVW1GVEVyU2NId1lWZm5DcmlhdGlCQzFuWkN3

Just off the trailer. Bale spike is still in the bucket.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 07/22/17.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Congrats! That sure is a sweetheart.Sure be interested to see how it compares to your neighbors maxxum you have been using.It looks like you are still green down there? All brown around here been haying cows now for two weeks.Enjoy your new tractor and be careful!

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks. We got about .52" last night but it has been a little dry here too. Here lately all the rain has been north of us and I thought Iowa was getting a lot. I guess it wasn't where you are. I don't like leaving a bucket up like that was in the picture. The dealer's son brought the tractor and did that to do the show and tell on the engine area. I don't ever walk under one. The neighbor bought my JD 4430 trade in, so it just went next door. I like his Maxxum 125 pretty well but like the pt. control on the Kubota better. Lever and rocker switch rather than a dial and switch on the Case IH.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anson, what are going to be doing with the new tractor?

Please also report back to us on how you like it, and how ou feel the power of the Kubota 4 cyl. compares to the 6.7L 6 cyl. Maxxum 125.

Looking at the link you posted, it appears to be a pretty high tech tractor. smile

Not sure how much of that stuff I would use regularly, but I know that tight turning feature would get me in trouble real quick with my CV joint on my big shredder. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Rockin B, It will just be a general use mowing, dirt, gravel mover. Moving snow in the winter etc. I could get by with a lot less hp but didn't want to limit myself if I decide to farm my ground again or put it into hay. (some of it is now rented out) I also think this size is more desirable in the resale market not that I plan to get rid of it anytime soon. Unless I pull the neighbor's 20' bat wing, it will be hard to compare power. Yes, it is a pretty high tech machine but not much different than the Maxxum or the JD M and R. It turns pretty short without engaging the bi-speed turn. I think that is more for when it's in 4 wheel drive. I've only put about 2 hours on it so far. Mowing with my "huge" 7 foot Bush Hog at 1700 rpm the display said it was burning 2.2 gallons per hour. I'm still figuring out the side display. It has lots of info. I hear you on turning with a pull type b'hog. You have to watch it. I'll try to let you know how it does and whether I regret my decision or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anson, that looks like a nice tractor, good luck with it!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks Sam. Did you buy that 7320 with the IVT?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rockin B, It will just be a general use mowing, dirt, gravel mover. Moving snow in the winter etc. I could get by with a lot less hp but didn't want to limit myself if I decide to farm my ground again or put it into hay. (some of it is now rented out) I also think this size is more desirable in the resale market not that I plan to get rid of it anytime soon. Unless I pull the neighbor's 20' bat wing, it will be hard to compare power. Yes, it is a pretty high tech machine but not much different than the Maxxum or the JD M and R. It turns pretty short without engaging the bi-speed turn. I think that is more for when it's in 4 wheel drive. I've only put about 2 hours on it so far. Mowing with my "huge" 7 foot Bush Hog at 1700 rpm the display said it was burning 2.2 gallons per hour. I'm still figuring out the side display. It has lots of info. I hear you on turning with a pull type b'hog. You have to watch it. I'll try to let you know how it does and whether I regret my decision or not.

Oh, I doubt you'll regret it! smile

I've had regrets from buying a tractor that didn't have enough hp before, but never from buying one that had too much!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Orange is the new green!

Not in farm country it isn't.

The guy that rolls my hay has about a 95hp Kubota with cab and loader. This Spring , he had to put it in the shop for the PTO bearing. I think he said the cab had to come off. Hours were around 1500.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were to decide to start up a new farming operation, and someone gave me a blank check, and told me I could spend any amount of money that I needed to in buying new equipment, here is the route I'd take. First choice would be JD, and I have never owned a JD tractor other than a 22 HP sub-compact. The reason is this.......JD has an advantage in technology, dealer support, parts, resale value, and such things. Second choice would Case-IH or New Holland, and I'll make it perfectly clear that I wouldn't necessarily buy a JD, just look at them first. My current tractors are both NH, and I've had pretty good luck out of them. I know lots of farmers who own Kubota tractors, but only a handful who own a big Kubota's. I think the mid size Kubota's would be an excellent choice, but much prefer another brand for a bigger tractor.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
... I think the mid size Kubota's would be an excellent choice, but much prefer another brand for a bigger tractor.

Having roamed all over KS, as well as areas of CO, WY, MT, ID, and WA, I can't remember ever seeing big Kubotas being used for serious acreage. There are several guys around East Texas who use them for large hay operations, but they are outnumbered by the JD and Case/IH guys with Massey coming in third..

Having just spent a couple of months in Eastern WA, it looks like Case/IH is the preferred brand there.

IMHO, the OP's HP range requirement is right about where the Kubotas end their popularity and the JD, Massey, Case/IH, and NH pick up.

My choice would be partially dependent on the nearest full-service dealer, with Case/IH being my first choice, Massey second, and JD last.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My part of Kentucky has some large farming operations that will rival those found most anywhere. Corn, wheat, soybeans, tobacco, with some canola starting to be grown. You will see JD more than anything else, with Case-IH next, followed by NH, and then Kubota. Massey's are not very common, though you do see a few. For strictly grain operations, JD has always been the most popular,

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.