Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm interested in saving up money for one of these hunts. Which one would you choose and Why? And if combo hunts are available are they worth it?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd think an elk/moose combo would be almost impossible. NOt totally but I"ve never seen it.

I like moose. I"ve tried elk and they were ok, and in great scenery but I think mostly its the fact that we fell in love with Alaska, such that moose is more popular with me. They eat better too...IMHO.

Neihter is cheap, but I bet you can find elk cheaper than moose all day long.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Moose aren't too expensive if you go to Newfoundland. If you're looking for trophies there are better places, but I hunt for the meat. Can't wait to get back. From Grand Rapids, it's a three day drive.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd choose elk only because I can (and have) shot moose within a mile of my house. Elk live in places I don't get to see very often while one moose bog looks about the same as the other to me.

Other than that, I'd flip a coin and have a ball at whichever I chose..

Last edited by JDK; 06/15/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk are generally a lot tougher to hunt physically, they don't live in the nice flat valleys so you will get a workout outside a ranch hunt. A moose hunt up in places like northern Alberta will be boat/argo/atv/horse.

If you go horseback, try and get all the riding time in you can before you go, and hit the stair climber. If you do elk trip out west, hammer the stair climber and plan to die anyway when you start a climb a 10k feet. I live at 4k, and I can tell you when I hit 7k-8k I can feel it.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I didn't mean an elk/moose combo hunt. I meant like a combo hunt with elk/ mule deer or moose/black bear combo hint for example. With the main species being either the elk or moose. Either one that I would go on would be a trophy to me because the moose and elk we have in Michigan are few and far between. I think it would be an awesome experience to do one of these hunts.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suggest this outfit. I hunted elk, moose (successful on both) and mountain caribou in 2008 with them. A rut hunt for both elk and moose. Far more than just a hunt.

http://stonemountainsafaris.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have taken both and I like elk hunting because of this.

[Linked Image]

Nothing wrong with combo hunts but time can be an issue, cost can also be a consideration.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
That picture is pretty amazing. It's going to be a few years before I go. I need to squirrel some money away first and then decide on which one to go on. I do plan on doing at least one of the hunts in the next 5 years hopefully. The terrain seems to come into consideration for the elk hunts more so than a moose hunt. So maybe elk first while I'm still relatively young. Then the moose after a while.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you mention a combo hunt, is your goal to kill a lot of game, or is your goal a quality hunt after one species? Is your goal to bring home a lot of meat, or is it more the experience?

Moose terrain can be deceptive. If you're going through tussocks and or swamps, they can wear you out just as much as a mountain hunt.

Whatever you decide to hunt, spend the time researching guides. Top notch guides in good areas aren't cheap, but are worth every penny. Cheap hunts usually end poorly.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As you save up that money plan for the costs to be 15 to 20% more than they are now. I have done both and enjoyed both. Going to the Yukon this Fall for moose and back to WY next year for elk. Last elk hunt in WY I saw as many moose as elk but no tag in my pocket.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Moose aren't too expensive if you go to Newfoundland. If you're looking for trophies there are better places, but I hunt for the meat. Can't wait to get back. From Grand Rapids, it's a three day drive.

We're going back next year and while elk country is spectacular, and I'll be going back, Newfoundland isn't bad either and a bargain price-wise. Of course, a moose in the freezer is always a bonus! When my wife said "we need another moose in the freezer" who am I to argue. grin

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I was kind of thinking of the combo hunt to increase the odds of coming homing with meat for the freezer. Instead just having an elk tag and not having a decent shot but end up seeing a bunch of mulies and not have a tag. That's why I thought of the possibility of a combo hunt. I know nothing is 100% guaranteed (except in fenced in ranches) when it comes to guided hunts.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BC. Hint....

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've done both. Moose in Newfoundland and elk in Colorado. Enjoyed the heck out of both. Going back to Newfoundland next fall. Love moose meat. Have also done half a dozen trips to arctic Quebec for caribou. Other than Africa, caribou is probably my favorite hunt. If you haven't considered it, you should. License is for two caribou. Have run into Ptarmigan half the time. Fishing has always been a great bonus. Depending on location have caught lake trout, brook trout, char and pike.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey

I hunted Newfoundland for moose and black bear in 2006. Amazing place to visit populated with wonderful people and very reasonable price-wise as far as guided hunts go, don't expect trophy moose as it's basically a meat hunt and moose aren't indigenous to the island but the meat is the best game you will ever have and they have some incredible processors who will turn the moose into sausage that will blow your mind. Newfoundland is also fantastic for bear and you can do a combo hunt for bear/moose/woodland caribou. Hunted public land in Colorado for elk with an outfitter who provided a camp only in 1996 and won't go back, I'll save my pennies for a better destination. A trophy elk is, in my opinion, one of the world's great trophies but it is costly to hunt a good area and the odds are still long as far as getting one.

I booked my Newfoundland hunt with Affordable Adventures and was very pleased.

http://www.affordahunt.com/moose.html

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 06/15/17.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'll have to do some research on hunts in Newfoundland. I was kind of thinking somewhere in the lower 48 but I'll check out the Newfoundland hunts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drawing a moose tag in the lower 48 is becoming an almost impossibility. I've drawn 2 Shiras moose tags here in Montana, but they were many rears ago. I killed 2 bulls, and they made great burger. The steaks tasted like tough willow bushes. I've killed dozens of elk, and they taste MUCH better. Elk, moose, deer, and bears here inhabit the same range. I've killed several elk and deer on the hill behind my house, and last month a cow moose walked down that hill and by my house.

On out of state hunts I think it is always wise to do combo hunts or at least buy tags for extra animals. Much of the hunt expense is the travel to your hunt.

When I hunted Dall sheep in the Mackenzie mountains in Canada's Northwest Territories, I also bought tags for mountain caribou, wolverine, and wolf. I killed my ram the first day out, and while we were packing my ram and our spike camp to the Super Cub pickup point, we came across a wolverine which I shot. We then flew to another spike camp where I shot my caribou. We also saw a wolf but my guide made the wrong decision and I couldn't take the shot.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
^ This
When possible ALWAYS have a pocket full of fun tickets
I hunted moose 10 days upstream of the village of Kobuk Ak.
Between a buddy and I, we had tags for 7 species
It was a hell of a trip....
Step #1 Save $$$

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.