Campfire Outfitter
T
Naval wisdom-----"a collision at sea will ruin your day"

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If the Captain "steps off the bridge", someone is in charge, but the CO has ultimate responsibility.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This seems extremely weird or extremely FU'd. How do you not see a ship like this on radar? I don't think it could sneak up on you if it wanted to, no way.

Radar man asleep, playing with his fidget spinner? The freighter is not likely running darken ship, if it was that's weird. What about the deck watches?

The captain is done because he owns it under his command. The radar man (or woman) will stand before the man when they review the radar logs, most likely. Bridge personnel and deck watches, yeah, all will be handed their balls ( unless they are women, then their ovaries).

[Linked Image]

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
How does a US warship allow any vessel to get that close? I did see that the Captain took over the vessel just over a month ago. My sympathies to all the family's involved.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will be very interested to find out what happened here, God Bless these Sailors and their families.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It almost seems like the U.S.S. Fitzgerald would have to have been running darken ship and emissions silent. I can't see any other way. But then you have to have deck watches and the ship has to be in condition Zebra. As I remember, at dusk the ship normally would go condition Yoke.

As I also remember, when you went darken ship and emissions silent you doubled the deck watch.

Last edited by Armednfree; 06/17/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What pizzes me off are the headlines "Destroyer collides with..." Because the destroyer didn't hit anything: it was hit BY the freighter. Fugging news people either can't get anything right or they are deliberately trying to besmirch the Navy. Either is likely.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
What pizzes me off are the headlines "Destroyer collides with..." Because the destroyer didn't hit anything: it was hit BY the freighter. Fugging news people either can't get anything right or they are deliberately trying to besmirch the Navy. Either is likely.

It was hit in the starboard side. When a vessel is approaching your starboard side you have to give way by stopping or turning to starboard. It's essentially the same as you failing to yield and getting T-Boned.

Here's the thing, an Arleigh Burke-class is highly maneuverable. She looks like she can darn near turn back on her own wake. Somebody, and more than one, eye was off his (or her) job.

Look at the turn radius:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&feature=related&v=mzveUz-WRGQ[/video]

Last edited by Armednfree; 06/17/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand the maritime "rules of the road" that say the ship on the right has the right of way. That doesn't men that all collisions are avoidable, however.

I'll wait until the official inquiry comes in before I pass judgment.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Here's the thing, an Arleigh Burke-class is highly maneuverable. She looks like she can darn near turn back on her own wake. Somebody, and more than one, eye was off his (or her) job.

Look at the turn radius:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&feature=related&v=mzveUz-WRGQ[/video]

Impressive!

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like the USN needs a "collision avoidance system" installed on their ships. Jeez what an embarrassment!!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Sounds like the USN needs a "collision avoidance system" installed on their ships. Jeez what an embarrassment!!

I don't know but I bet they already do. I bet the computer in the radar warns them of possible collisions. Of course the man on mid-watch was probably young and thinking of Sally the Sailors sloppy slit. Eye's off the ball, criminal dereliction of duty. Only way I can see the outcome. Article 92 violation to the felony level.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I was on the Midway on the night of July 29, 1980 when it was t-boned on the port side by a Panamanian freighter in the Strait of Malacca. It was almost catastrophic when the rigging of the freighter tore the tails off of several Phantoms, one of which had both engines turning. The bow crushed the LOX plant and killed two sailors there. Hundreds of gallons of fuel spilled all over the flight deck and running down the side of the ship by the LOX plant and on a couple of missiles that were loaded.

If I remember correctly, the captain of the of the freighter (the Cactus) misinterpreted the Midway's running lights and made a right turn into us from about 10:00 to 11:00. We went to abandon ship stations a while later. Search Midway/cactus collision at sea.

Hard to dodge something in a ship that big.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bet I know what happened in our new Navy. A female sailorette, and a male sailor were on watch.
He started banging her and they both quit watching the ocean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I bet I know what happened in our new Navy. A female sailorette, and a male sailor were on watch.
He started banging her and they both quit watching the ocean.

That is possible, we all know Poontang can kill.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by g5m

Look at the turn radius:

Impressive!

I had no idea that they were that maneuverable! Wow!
Hoping all 7 are found safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
those boy's on the starboard rail could have dipped a cover full of sea water on that come about! awesome.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
those boy's on the starboard rail could have dipped a cover full of sea water on that come about! awesome.

Which goes to prove there is no danged way a container ship deliberately runs down a Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer.

I figure the container ship saw the Fitzgerald and figured it would give way. Until the last minute when it realized she wasn't. Can't stop or maneuver a ship of that size in that situation with any kind of speed. The Fitzgerald did not give way as required. This falls all on the command and crew of the Fitzgerald, no way around that fact.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
How do you get hit by a merchant ship?

Black Shoe incompetence. They have little concept of closure rates. Cardinal rule of Sea and Airmanship: CONSTANT BEARING DECREASING RANGE..... simple.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Which goes to prove there is no danged way a container ship deliberately runs down a Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer.

I figure the container ship saw the Fitzgerald and figured it would give way. Until the last minute when it realized she wasn't. Can't stop or maneuver a ship of that size in that situation with any kind of speed. The Fitzgerald did not give way as required. This falls all on the command and crew of the Fitzgerald, no way around that fact.

only other option is to have the Fitz turn across the bow of the barge.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,801
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.