Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Bobmar
It will be interesting to learn the details but generally speaking, if you get hit on your starboard side, it was your fault.

Don't doubt that - I was questioning the REPORTER'S description skills. One cannot "hit another ship" in the bow with the side of yours , but one can cross his bow, or fail to avoid, or the other guy could turn into you. Assuming the Fitz was under way at the time, which I am.

The Fitz was hit by the other ship, whoever is at fault. IMO, anyway. But I know jack-all about seamanship, other than what I have read.

Last edited by las; 06/17/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by deerstalker
those boy's on the starboard rail could have dipped a cover full of sea water on that come about! awesome.

Which goes to prove there is no danged way a container ship deliberately runs down a Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer.

I figure the container ship saw the Fitzgerald and figured it would give way. Until the last minute when it realized she wasn't. Can't stop or maneuver a ship of that size in that situation with any kind of speed. The Fitzgerald did not give way as required. This falls all on the command and crew of the Fitzgerald, no way around that fact.

only other option is to have the Fitz turn across the bow of the barge.

Which is even more fu'd up. She's danged lucky that bigger ship didn't break her back. ( for you non-navy types that means breaking her keel.) A credit to her designers and builders.

Last edited by Armednfree; 06/17/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Fitzgerald" seems to be an unlucky name for ships.
The Edmund Fitzgerald museum at Whitefish Bay is worth the trip.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by jaguartx
How do you get hit by a merchant ship?

Black Shoe incompetence. They have little concept of closure rates. Cardinal rule of Sea and Airmanship: CONSTANT BEARING DECREASING RANGE..... simple.

This^^^^.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Yep, probably 10-15 more feet into the path of the big ship and the whole destroyer would probably have been destroyed.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Its really sad to hear of service men killed by our own idiots. Can you imagine being told your son or brother " was killed by a merchant ship this morning". I know it wouldnt be put that way but thats about what it boils down to. Lots of crushed parents, brothers and sisters in our country tonight.

I'll wait to hear the reason before 'passing judgement'. One of the perks of not being a 'christian'

Just stir the pot for no apparent reason, pick pick pick. Getting called a troll more and more and easy to see why.

He says 'Our service men killed by our own idiots"

You ever been dead ship in the middle of the ocean? Have you have lost steering? Propulsion? Power?

So again, I'll wait till the details come out before I pass judgement on this. That you are too fu*cking stupid is no surprise. Please give the old Christ cock sucker a reach around.

For you to chastise anyone for being too quick to pass judgement is so far beyond laughable it borders on insanity. You are quite simply the most judgmental person I have seen on the Fire. If you don't know that about yourself, I don't know what to tell you.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only possible excuse for the Fitzgerald is she was stationary. That is so unlikely it's not worth consideration. l

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Black Shoe incompetence. They have little concept of closure rates. Cardinal rule of Sea and Airmanship: CONSTANT BEARING DECREASING RANGE..... simple.

In today's Navy, CBDR was likely the relationship between two on-duty sailors' genitalia in the moments immediately prior to the collision.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Am I incorrect in thinking that the time to react to this (had attention been paid) would be similar to this? Sad for those men lost. Very interested in what really happened out there. But even sophisticated electronic warfare shouldn't be able to jam a pair of binoculars.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am just going to throw this out there, is there any way there was a software malfunction or possibly the ship being hacked? Jorge's explanation seems to be the case but something just does not smell right.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If they were coasties, they would have been having a circle jerk on the deck and could have seen the approaching ship.

That's kind of a dick head thing to say, Santa.

Last edited by Bobmar; 06/17/17.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

4 knot minds operating at 12 knots of closure.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The navy has sure had it's share of problems. Probably because of all the Obama people he put in charge. The navy needs to get back into ship shape. In a hurry.

Hopefully Rex will put some competent folks in, and drain the Obama swamp.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I am just going to throw this out there, is there any way there was a software malfunction or possibly the ship being hacked? Jorge's explanation seems to be the case but something just does not smell right.

Steering is still done the old fashioned way. There are quite a few people monitoring on the bridge. Radar Plot, Navigation keeps a constant log of speed, direction and location via GPS and reference points from land, all this monitored by the Officer Of The Deck (underway). There are also strict "night orders" issued by the CO when he is not on the bridge to be notified when a vessel is within X miles, especially if closing. I understand the big ship made an unprecedented and unexpected turn into them, but those DDGs with turbine engines are lightning fast. The issue arises when the Bridge Team hesitates, but I have to tell you, if that ship was THAT close, the CO SHOULD have been on that bridge.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge, correct me if i am wrong but from the pictures(pretty small) it looked like the two ships were on the same course with the Conship knifing into the Fitz stern to bow?

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Someone or someones screwed the pooch
This should have never happened!

Ships leaving and entering port are on THE most aware status.

Usually there is a Pilot aboard until the ship is clear of shipping lanes.

Last edited by TBREW401; 06/17/17.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Its really sad to hear of service men killed by our own idiots. Can you imagine being told your son or brother " was killed by a merchant ship this morning". I know it wouldnt be put that way but thats about what it boils down to. Lots of crushed parents, brothers and sisters in our country tonight.

I'll wait to hear the reason before 'passing judgement'. One of the perks of not being a 'christian'

You mean making a statement and putting your foot in your mouth?

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Naval wisdom-----"a collision at sea will ruin your day"

I used to have a Zippo lighter, with that saying, along with the name USS Dahlgren.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Harry M
How does a US warship allow any vessel to get that close? I did see that the Captain took over the vessel just over a month ago. My sympathies to all the family's involved.

Tokyo Marine Traffic

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
News report I just watched says the cargo ship made a last minute U-Turn and T-Boned the navy vessel.

Almost like it was done on purpose.

Though no official blame has been placed, authorities tracking both ships say that the ACX made an erratic and high-speed u-turn and set a course back to Japan. Shortly after, it struck the Fitzgerald.

http://tribunist.com/military/capta...th-massive-cargo-ship-7-sailors-missing/

Last edited by rockinbbar; 06/17/17.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,442
Posts18,528,710
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.