-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
an alert bridge couldn't out turn a 504 foot barge? someone was not watching.
though i knew a Boat captain once that had a taste for weed and coke.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As usual, no shortage of numbnut comments on this topic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know. All I read was the container ship made an unexpected turn. The turn seems inexplicable. Yes those DDGs can turn and turn fast, but without the full picture and given the traffic density, there might be mitigating circumstances.

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/17/17.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
On the Mark 5 that my Son Captains they had a computer go haywire.

The boat went from dead still to max speed,i think they said something like 80 knots.
It t-boned another boat and all but two crewmen had to be flown to the hospital.

My Son saved his boat from sinking and drove it back to base,when he got there he was asked why he was limping,he had broke his ankle and had a large divot in his thigh.

The others were injured worse.
So yep sometimes computers do go awol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
YOKOSUKA, Japan — Navy divers found the bodies of missing sailors Sunday aboard the stricken USS Fitzgerald that collided with a container ship in the busy sea off Japan, the Navy said.

Searchers gained access to the spaces that were damaged during the collision and brought the remains to Naval Hospital Yokosuka where they will be identified, the Navy said in a statement. Seven sailors had been missing.
what a heart break.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
RIP sailors!
Prayers sent for their souls, and on their families behalf.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There should be no reason for a collision to occur, short of mechanical failure. But with all due respect, for all the arm chair quarterbacks here that have never driven a 550 foot long 8,000 ton ship in a constrained water way, surrounded by unpredictable mariners in the dark of the night, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 06/17/17.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Im pretty certain we will be given a perfectly logical and reasonable excu, uh, explanation. Just by luck it doesnt happen more often.

I do hope the cause was something that made the accident unavoidable on our servicemens part. Sometimes Murphys Law takes control and chitt just happens.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/17/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
RIP sailors!
Prayers sent for their souls, and on their families behalf.

+1

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Too many Paint-chippers on their hands and knees and not enough on watch.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
May the sailors rest in peace and their families consoled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
There should be no reason for a collision to occur, short of mechanical failure. But with all due respect, for all the arm chair quarterbacks here that have never driven a 550 foot long 8,000 ton ship in a constrained water way, surrounded by unpredictable mariners in the dark of the night, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I do. Edited to add, I want to know the backgrounds of the entire Bridge Team on that freighter.....

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/18/17.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I do. Edited to add, I want to know the backgrounds of the entire Bridge Team on that freighter.....

Very Good Point

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You should have ended your post at the first sentence. To allow an vessel with unknown intentions to approach and strike a USN ship calls for an immediate JAG review. How vulnerable was the Fitzgerald to a terrorist attack?
And no, I don't need to have navigated a USN ship in order to express my disapproval.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would like to see the paths of the two ships. I expect the bridge team on the destroyer is going to come under more scrutiny than that of the freighter. Although if someone on a freighter made a plan to ram a USN destroyer on the open ocean, it was a very ambitious plan.

Sycamore

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Its really sad to hear of service men killed by our own idiots. Can you imagine being told your son or brother " was killed by a merchant ship this morning". I know it wouldnt be put that way but thats about what it boils down to. Lots of crushed parents, brothers and sisters in our country tonight.

I'll wait to hear the reason before 'passing judgement'. One of the perks of not being a 'christian'

Hell, its nothing to do with Christian, even some of us, wait to pass judgement. Unless its a muslim....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's going to be plenty of guilt to go around. I've got many years experience on the bridge from helmsman and lookout to QMOW and Conn. Been the XO and had command. There's probably a chain of mistakes that allowed this to occur, but it shouldn't have and there is no acceptable excuse. The captain is at fault and the investigation will bear that out. He has the ultimate responsibility for the safety of his ship. PERIOD! It's a heart breaking tragedy, nonetheless.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's the end of a whole bunch of officer's careers. As it should be. Hopefully someone gives them this as a parting gift:

https://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-S...=8-1&keywords=how+to+avoid+big+ships

(read the reviews)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobmar
There's going to be plenty of guilt to go around. I've got many years experience on the bridge from helmsman and lookout to QMOW and Conn. Been the XO and had command. There's probably a chain of mistakes that allowed this to occur, but it shouldn't have and there is no acceptable excuse. The captain is at fault and the investigation will bear that out. He has the ultimate responsibility for the safety of his ship. PERIOD! It's a heart breaking tragedy, nonetheless.

Agreed. All the way around. The responsibility of the CO on a Navy ship underway is hard to imagine. They are responsible for every life and every outcome.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tragic news in some households this week that's for sure frown
I'm hoping by some chance it was an unavoidable accident. I'm sure there were some good people on that Navy ship, I hate to see lives ruined.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 06/18/17.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,395
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.