Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Good luck to those applying. Hopefully a buck antelope tag for my brother and nephew for their first hunting trip west. Doe antelope for myself.

Golden............
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anxiously awaiting. I'm in for a cow elk as well as me, my wife, and my uncle for antelope tags. I really want my uncle to draw that antelope tag.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Week has been dragging on in anticipation! Decent chance at a pronghorn tag, almost no chance at my first choice deer, but should get a general area on my second choice.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
we'll know tomorrow

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anxiously waiting to see what the leftovers list looks like this year. Should be interesting with the new draw. Good luck to everyone.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Results are posted. Hope everyone had better luck than I did. Thought for sure I had the points to draw deer 34 but no love. Did pick up a couple doe antelope tags in the close by unit I always hunt - its also sold out which I've never seen before. Not much left over.
Good luck to the rest of you!!

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 06/22/17.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife and I each got 1 buck (any antelope, actually) and 1 doe/fawn antelope tag. I did not get my limited quota deer tag and wife did not get reduced price cow/calf elk.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Unsuccessful non-res region Y deer frown

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No antelope. Bummer. Got Region A general deer

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got blanked. No antelope no elk.
HOWEVER, my wife got a doe antelope in 100 and my uncle got a doe antelope in 76 so I'll still be going antelope hunting. I just won't be pulling any triggers.
Additionally, our little 22yr old friend [Linked Image]
(on the right)
got an 82-4 elk tag and she wants me to take her elk hunting. She also wants to tag along on the antelope forays. I'm going to have to quit two of my jobs to get all this hunting in LOL!

Stupidity is expensive
IC B3

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Drew my second choice deer tag. Now onto the leftover draw where I hope to snag a cow tag.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My hunting partner and I drew Buck antelope for unit 47. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got skunked for antelope, 1st time in 8 attempts.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going for a general elk tag this year since I'm technically not considered a resident til September 1st. Possibly try for a antelope tag if any units are leftover that I have a chance to go after. Can't wait for next year to give it a go. I would also like to do a fall bear hunt? Good luck guys.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"Unsuccessful"

Dang, grats to you who won the goat lottery.

ETA: How many preference points do you need to have a good chance?

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 06/22/17.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't know. Residents don't get preference points for antelope. I went several years straight getting tags and now I'm on the other side of the coin going several drawings without. I'm picky about what units I'll hunt though. If it's just me myself and I, I won't travel across the state to hunt antelope. It's fun and all, but it just ain't worth all that to me.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unsuccessful...

The gimme days are gone...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fishing again this year. Aint' such a bad thing...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Son and I drew NR unit 74 either sex. We'll be hunting later in the season. Info on camping spots are welcome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RNF
My hunting partner and I drew Buck antelope for unit 47. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

That's where we hunt them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love living in Wyoming though. I was at the post office and asked the lady what the date was. She says "tag day" lol! A bit later I'm dropping stuff off at the Grand Teton national park foundation, right at 10am, and the guy at the reception station is checking his tags. He checked mine while I was standing there! He was unsuccessful as well, btw.

Stupidity is expensive
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We did a bit better struck out on one doe tag for mulies, and on special unit buck tag for deer.. One was the wifes and one mine.. We can still pick up general tags for bucks..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
No luck for my group, my nephew had a couple of points going in. Two of us tried for doe/fawn antelope tags in area 32-thought they were a gimmie. Wrong!! The antelope must have taken it on the chin there or we are incredibly unlucky........

Building points, hope for next year. Congrats to all you lucky bastids that got drawn grin grin

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hitler struck out again.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by RNF

That's where we hunt them.

If you see a brown 3/4 ton Chevy with Okie plates stop by and say hi.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by davidlea
No luck for my group, my nephew had a couple of points going in. Two of us tried for doe/fawn antelope tags in area 32-thought they were a gimmie. Wrong!! The antelope must have taken it on the chin there or we are incredibly unlucky........

My coworker had zero points, him and 5 buddies put in for 32. Everyone of them drew buck and doe tags. 6 of the 12 'random' tags went to his group. We hunted there year before last but didn't put in with only 1 point. 4 of us drew buck tags in 46 and 2 of us, bro in law and niece, got doe tags to go with it. Looks like Dad and I will be searching out fishing holes instead of does.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Well I knew my son would get a tag... he had 2 points, and my buddy got a buck tag w/ 0 PPs in the same area, but my nephew & I didn't get doe tags there which sucks.

Had I known when I put in what I know now I'd have put in 4 separate applications for us for 2 doe tags each rather than 2 doe tags each as a party. Oh well live & learn it'll let me focus on getting Samuel a buck and once that's done the bunnies had better look out!!!!!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Got drawn for my third choice in Antelope unit 17. Got a cow tag for Unit 107. So I'll be hunting while I'm working on my perfectly planned 4-8 year preference point plan. Can't wait for the day The Wife tells me we can start looking for a home in WY.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
dazvidlea,

The wife and I got late season any Elk ,Area 64. Struck out on everything else. Maybe have to buy a general deer. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/24/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by memtb
dazvidlea,

The wife and I got late season any Elk ,Area 64. Struck out on everything else. Maybe have to buy a general deer. memtb

Good luck on the Area 64 tag. I hope the antelope herd recovers around where I like to hunt, I appreciate Wyo G&F doing the right thing and keeping the number of tags given out down but it hurts to miss a year.

Golden............
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

It seems to be getting harder to draw.... especially for moose, where the wolves have gotten "out of hand" ! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am 0 for 8!!!
Seems last year and this year I have drawn ZERO tags. The year before that only 1 tag. It is beginning to look like I will have to move out of state in order to draw a WY tag.

This is what happens when graduates from PA and VA run WY's Game and Fish system. No actual or first hand experience, but that piece of paper says they know everything.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bart
0 for 8! Bummer. What tags were you after? Can always get general tags correct?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

This is what happens when graduates from PA and VA run WY's Game and Fish system. No actual or first hand experience, but that piece of paper says they know everything.

2016 was the first time we had been since '11. We only got drawn for does, area 38. All we really saw were bucks, herds of bucks. They would stand around and look at you and follow you as you walked around the ranch. We have been hunting this 5 section ranch, for free, since 2003. Saw some of the biggest bucks last year, that we have ever seen on this ranch.

We stopped at G&F in Cheyenne on the way out of town, asked why no buck tags and only doe tags. The reply we got was, the antelope numbers are down due to winter kill and blood disease. My question was, then why give out so many doe tags? I got the RCA dog look in response to that.

Makes/made no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 06/27/17.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm building points. My next antelope and mule deer hunts are going to be diy in Wyoming, I just need to do my research!

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Bart

Antelope and deer

I can get 1 deer tag over the counter

Residents can't build points except for the exotics: moose, sheep, goats, buff... . Another thing that favors the non-resident

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 805
Bart

Antelope and deer

I can get 1 deer tag over the counter

Residents can't build points except for the exotics: moose, sheep, goats, buff... . Another thing that favors the non-resident

There are so great antelope tags that residents can draw second and third choice each year. The general deer tag is pretty good also.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I live here and pay taxes here and earn less money by doing so. There is no reason that I should have to plan a 400 mile trip, pay the trespass fees and overnight somewhere to bring home an antelope. I have plenty of areas to hunt within 50 miles of me. It is just that WY will not issue tags, because they want the increased revenue from a non resident tag. They also want the non res to pay the trespass fee on private property. As a resident I can visit with the property owner now (had I drawn a tag), develop a friendship with him and not have to pay the fee.

If I'm gonna pay all the fees and plan a hunt within my own state, I my as well go to TX and kill pigs. Pound per dollar per hour it is about the same.

805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Residents get the majority of the tag quota for all units. Non residents only get a portion of the available quota and that is split between regular and special fee. Non residents can get some resident tags only if they are not all taken in the resident draw first.
Where in Wyoming are you Bart? What units do you normally apply for? Antelope?Deer?Elk?

Last edited by 805; 06/29/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I live here and pay taxes here and earn less money by doing so. There is no reason that I should have to plan a 400 mile trip, pay the trespass fees and overnight somewhere to bring home an antelope. I have plenty of areas to hunt within 50 miles of me. It is just that WY will not issue tags, because they want the increased revenue from a non resident tag. They also want the non res to pay the trespass fee on private property. As a resident I can visit with the property owner now (had I drawn a tag), develop a friendship with him and not have to pay the fee.

If I'm gonna pay all the fees and plan a hunt within my own state, I my as well go to TX and kill pigs. Pound per dollar per hour it is about the same.

If you're going to rant, have your facts straight, as every post you've made on this thread is total bullchit.

First off, as a resident of WY you can get, easily, 2 buck deer permits, at least 4 doe tags, 2 buck pronghorn tags, 4 doe tags, 3 elk tags, 2 lion tags, 1 wolf and 1 bear...

If you aren't hunting Wyoming as a Resident, its by choice, and I don't care where you live, you can find those permits closer than 400 miles.

I've shot at least 2 elk per year (usually 3), at least 2 pronghorn per year (a couple years as many as 6), and deer whenever I want...all on public land or lands enrolled in the HMA program...every one of the 17 years I've lived in Wyoming. I've never paid a single trespass fee, ever.

You're also wrong about the "exotics" and resident preference points...there are NO points for either R or NR hunters for goats and bison. Grizzlies wont have preference points either.

The split for R and NR tags is set by either statute (in the case of sheep, goat and grizzlies) or regulation (the rest of the species). The way its worded is that for example: 75% of the sheep tags will be reserved for R hunters...84% of LQ elk tags will be reserved for residents, etc. The GF is not giving your R tags to NR to increase revenue...that's purely a lie and a fabrication. Pure bullchit.

IMO, you're choosing to whine instead of hunt...count that as a choice and you must be a pretty casual hunter if you're complaining about the hunting and access to licenses as a resident...good grief.

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/29/17.
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Buzz! Glad to see your still around! I was getting there with my post but wanted to see where he applied first and where he lives.

Speaking of the WY Grizzlies any word on when seasons may begin?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and pay taxes here and earn less money by doing so. There is no reason that I should have to plan a 400 mile trip, pay the trespass fees and overnight somewhere to bring home an antelope. I have plenty of areas to hunt within 50 miles of me. It is just that WY will not issue tags, because they want the increased revenue from a non resident tag. They also want the non res to pay the trespass fee on private property. As a resident I can visit with the property owner now (had I drawn a tag), develop a friendship with him and not have to pay the fee.

WGFD has its faults, but my god...you're quite delusional here...

It is true that tags that were guaranteed 5 years ago for your first choice are not even guaranteed for your 2nd or even 3rd choice these days, but there's still plenty of opportunity...cow elk tags especially have been cut way down in the Wyoming Range but plenty of tags are still available elsewhere in the state.

Where are you at? Even if you're in Jackson, you're well within 400 miles of areas with leftover buck antelope tags and at least some public land.

I drew my 3rd choice buck antelope tag east of Rawlins, and an extra cow elk in 104. No doe antelope for me for the first time since at least 2012, though I am in for the 2nd draw. General deer and elk.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
no buck speed goat for me, maybe i can draw a leftover doe speed goat!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Didn't draw anything in WY but I'll keep busy with the tags I drew at home in Saskatchewan, good luck to those who got tags!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
First off - I'm not retired or independently wealthy. That means that I have limited time to scout/hunt.
I live 40 miles N of Cody, 1.7 miles S of the MT line. While the 400 miles number was meant to be an exaggeration, I see some took it seriously.
My rant about res vs non res was just that a rant - lighten up, you guys have NO sense of humor!!
Buzz, I don't know how you're getting all those tags, unless your saying that if I drew everything that I was eligible for. Even then I'm seeing a hard time getting multiple buck tags for deer/antelope. You show me how, I'll do it next year and shut my pie hole. I have never applied for or have no desire for lion and wolf - I imagine they taste bad. No guarantees that there will be a wolf season either.
Antelope area 80 & 81. Deer 120 &121. These are from memory, I don't recall the other areas w/o looking them up. I didn't apply for elk tags this year because my horses are dead and I'm too old and fat to pack them out (that's humor again, I'm 51, 5'8" 180 lbs - while I think my fighting weight is 165, I just can't seem to shed the excess).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cowboybart,

The first thing you have to do is understand how the draw process works and also the statutes/regulations regarding how many tags you can have...go to the GF website and you'll find that.

Then, look over the draw odds...apply smartly and apply for 3 choices for deer and pronghorn. Don't waste a second choice on area where all the tags were taken by first choice applicants...same with third choice, don't waste time on an area that didn't have tags available for 3rd choice applicants.

Apply smartly for type 4, 6, and 7 elk tags...you can draw 2 in the initial draw, then pick up another in the leftover. Apply smartly for deer, think type 3 whitetail.

Utilize general elk, deer, bear, lion, turkey tags that can be purchased OTC.

Look at the leftover lists to get a second buck pronghorn tag, second buck deer license, more doe pronghorn and deer tags and additional antlerless elk.

Its not tough to do...and frankly, I don't have the time or freezer space to take advantage of all the easy opportunity Wyoming has to offer.

You may have to travel a bit, but opportunity abounds.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
North central Wyoming...stopped by for a quick afternoon hunt on my way to hunt Montana for a deer hunt with my Dad and Brother.

Had a type-3 and general deer tag. Shot one, 2 more jumped out of the brush and filled my second tag.

[Linked Image]

The 2 buck pronghorns I shot last year.

Draw tag:

Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

Leftover buck:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
More pronghorns on additional leftover buck tags, all from different units that I'd never hunted until the day I showed up.

[Linked Image]

Picked this tag up 2 weeks after they went on sale. Not bad for an additional buck.

[Linked Image]

Scouted a half day before the opener, best I found on public land, shot this one as the sun came up opening morning:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shot these elk in 2014.

Early season type 6 tag through the draw:

[Linked Image]

Draw bull permit:

[Linked Image]

Additional type-7 bought as a leftover:

[Linked Image]

Shot these in 2015:

General tag OTC:

[Linked Image]

Type 6 (drew the tag but could have picked one up OTC as a leftover)

[Linked Image]

Type 7 that I picked up OTC:

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I live in Gillette, but I have never hunted that area for antelope. I would imagine that you will see plenty. If you dont have plans made yet, you might consider contacting game and fish and requesting the landowner contact list for the area as well as landowners who will allow hunting. It is two seperate lists. You will need to contact the Sheridan office to get the lists for Area 17. It is normally pretty reasonable to purchase access for an antelope hunt, which will allow you the time and the peace to have a fun hunt.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shot these 2 about 30 seconds apart in 2013

Shot a cow first:

[Linked Image]

They had no idea what was going on and this bull walked out 30 seconds after I shot the cow...bad move on his part as I had a general tag to go with the type 6 cow tag.

[Linked Image]

Last year sort of "sucked" for elk hunting for me...had 3 tags only filled 2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But, really the elk season was a total success as I was able to help my 12 year old nephew kill his first elk...drew a type 6 as a NR. He was pretty darn happy.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Shot these 2 about 30 seconds apart in 2013

Shot a cow first:

[Linked Image]

They had no idea what was going on and this bull walked out 30 seconds after I shot the cow...bad move on his part as I had a general tag to go with the type 6 cow tag.

[Linked Image]

I am assuming this was during that freak snowstorm on Oct 2-5ish of that year? I shot a young rag bull during that same snow storm in unit 98...during furlough of course...

I'd post a picture, but haven't figured out how to do that yet under the Mod's instructions. I'll sit down and figure that out here later today.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.