Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
What percentile of confidence of making a shot to the vitalsdo you consider necessary before taking a given opportunity to shoot at a game animal? Stated another way on any given shot do you have to feel I can make that shot 98 times out of 100, 95 times out of 100 ,75 times out of 100 etc. before you will attempt or pass on a shot at game.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't put numbers on it. I just have a gut feeling, and it's pretty conservative.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Basically 100%. I guess there could be some freak occurrence like a mis-charged cartridge or freak 30mph gust of wind out of nowhere or the animal mysteriously bolting at top speed right when I shoot or whatever. But if there's a chance I miss due to hold instability or inability to read the wind, I don't shoot.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/21/17.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't shoot unless I'm certain of the shot. I'm truly amazed when I miss. We owe it to our game to provide a quick, painless death if all possible.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Basically 100%. I guess there could be some freak occurrence like a mis-charged cartridge or freak 30mph gust of wind out of nowhere or the animal mysteriously bolting at top speed right when I shoot or whatever. But if there's a chance I miss due to hold instability or inability to read the wind, I don't shoot.

This and this.......

Originally Posted by MichiganScott
I don't shoot unless I'm certain of the shot. I'm truly amazed when I miss. We owe it to our game to provide a quick, painless death if all possible.

While it is true that I have not shot/kilt a 'lot'............

To date/knock on wood, I have yet to miss with a center-fire rifle....................

Back in November of '83 I thought I had missed, I was stunned, it was a 14yd shot, astonished at the way he hopped the fence and ran..... but he was there, about 50 yds away, piled up just out of sight.

Last edited by muffin; 06/21/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by okie john
I don't put numbers on it. I just have a gut feeling, and it's pretty conservative.

Okie John

Yes I realized when I asked the question i really didn't know if I could really put a number on it , but I didn't know how else to quantify it. I can't really say 100% though I'd like to. I realize there is always some risk of pulling the shot , the target moving, hitting an unseen branch other wise no one would ever miss. But still like you I'm pretty conservative.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That's where I am. Last year I missed a good buck, he was standing statue still broadside less than 150 yds. Totted off unalarmed. I looked for sign for 2 hours --- nothing, nada, zip, zilch....still stunned (me).

Why ? you ask, "overconfident". The last few have been spread out over several years but EVERY one was from over confidence.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago I passed on a shot at a really nice mulie buck. He was at about 200-250 but there was a fierce cross wind, gusts maybe up to 30. The only rest I had was a bush that was moving as fast as the wind. I had a 270 with 150 gr bullets but there was no way I could hold it steady. He was sure pretty to look at, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

I can't put numbers on it in the field when I'm actually hunting. All I can say is, if I don't have confidence I can make the shot I don't take it.

Basically 100%. .

So it stands to reason that you've never missed a shot then?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I missed three times last year. Twice on hogs at 120 yds in the last 12 months of so, out of say 60 shot. One I'd knocked the scope off and it was shooting about 4" high. The other I just plain missed. Had a good rest and a good squeeze. Went back and checked and the rifle was dead on. Amazing!

The buck I missed was down hill at 175' yds. in a small clearing. Fog blowing in and out. The scope was a Swarovski 4-12 with the BRH reticle. As an aside, that reticle is too busy to use in blowing fog and you're trying to make out the critter. Damn frustrating when you can see the buck in your binocs, and then look thru your scope and he's not there. Watched this guy on an off for about an hour before the fog lifted just enough to take a shot. I could have sworn I heard a "whap". Bummer, I prefer a "whop". Got down to where I suspected the point of impact to be. Found about a dozen cut white hairs. Looked for over an hour and nothing. After three misses, I was beginning to think I'd lost my "mojo".

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/22/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't shoot at the distances you folks are used to. Ohio has been a shotgun state for a long time, and only a rifle state for a few years, so I'm used to 100-150yard shots with a gun, and no more than 45-50yards with bow or crossbow.
I've missed scoped shots with a sabot shotgun, but haven't missed since going back to iron sights.

Last edited by kellory; 06/22/17.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole

Basically 100%. .

So it stands to reason that you've never missed a shot then?

On big game, only one time. I took a shot at a feral pig that was about 550y away across a canyon. It was moving fast, so I ranged it with my reticle and did so badly and held for 375y. Missed low down by its feet. Didn't get a 2nd shot. A good lesson.

On predators, small game and birds, different story.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Question fer you guys,

if ya get several twofers (two with one shot) does that make up for the misses?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/22/17.

B
bangeye Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Naw, That's just show off stunt shooting. Cool story material though I've never managed that with a rifle but have pulled it off a couple of times with a shotgun. So what's the skinny on that nice full stock rig .

Last edited by bangeye; 06/22/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't shoot unless I KNOW I"m good, I like to use the figure 200% sure.

But I never know if I'm going to shoot, I never know when exactly the shot will break in the process and a few times animals have walked off before the gun went off... no biggy though, I'd rather them walk than me muff a shot.

Last 2 times I missed was around 350 yards, and later I found that the scope had died and was not moving off of its 100 yard zero....

Beyond that I actually have a hard time recalling a miss. Back up to the teen years.... yeah, back then I missed a few times. But my mentor was such that I actually was trying to aim at a single hair and as such shots took time to develop and even back then it was rare for me to miss.

All that said, one of the first shots, if not THE first shot I had at a deer, was, no chit, about 2-3 feet from the muzzle and dad whispered point at its head and pull... I"m pretty sure I just pointed, closed my eyes and yanked... I did not hit the deer... there were 3 of us surprised as heck that cold morning... The next one I had my own rifle and it got better from then on out..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Something I do and taught my kids to do; when I have a killing shot I take it. When I don't have a killing shot, I pass.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Question fer you guys,

if ya get several twofers (two with one shot) does that make up for the misses?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB

I gots a few of those, I generally try to avoid those on deer.... but my wife walked away one night, while I was messing around with some pigs, trying to get a 2fer head shot... it took a LONG time, but it finally worked. I have missed the 2nd head a few times too. 2 fer in the ribs, generally isn't to hard. But timing has to be good, never known a feral pig to be slow about moving. 2 fer with arrows means I have to be on the ground to start with and then both lucky and good.

Last edited by rost495; 06/22/17.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bangeye
Naw, That's just show off stunt shooting. Cool story material though I've never managed that with a rifle but have pulled it off a couple of times with a shotgun. So what's the skinny on that nice full stock rig .

I like Sakos, I've had the good fortune to score two of the Sako Bavarian Carbines. That one is chambered in 30-06 Springfield.

[Linked Image]

This one is chambered in the 308 Winchester. Not a two-fer, but two in the same evening.

JAPPFT,

GWB

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had confidence on deer with shots past 350, and no confidence on elk at 50-60 yards. Every situation is different.

I'll allow for shooting at moving animals, but a miss there is easy to play off. The miss that comes at a still animal well within range is a real shock though. I've missed easy shots a couple of times and just sat there shocked and confused as to how that just happened.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

^^^THIS^^^

I hate wounding animals. It's a PITA too when you have to track them and mess around for hours. Then when you do find them, dead or alive, the meat will taste like schit.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.