Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Genius songwriter who left us too early. I know TRH probably isn't a fan because Warren was a member of the Tribe. I'm okay with that as I have some distant Jewish ancestry I'm proud of though I'm Christian (we were converted a couple of hundred years ago back in Germany).

He recorded this while dying from cancer and it is beautiful. I'd like to have it played at my funeral when I pass.

A couple of other great tunes...

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Huge fan, brilliant artist. My current favorite is the other song he wrote related to his diagnosis, ' My [bleep] f-cked up' brilliant expression of frustration, acceptance ,and will to fight.

Old 70

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by old70
Huge fan, brilliant artist. My current favorite is the other song he wrote related to his diagnosis, ' My [bleep] f-cked up' brilliant expression of frustration, acceptance ,and will to fight.

Old 70

It's beautiful, here it is. You may have seen the special VH1 did where they followed him around when he was dying. It was heartbreaking to watch especially how he maintained his dignity and sense of humor while he knew was dying, he was really a brave guy. I love him.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A brilliant musician, so, yes.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"Keep Me in Your Your Heart" brings me to tears everytime I hear it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm 32yo, so I was late to the party as a teenager. But I did play a few of his records on my dad's old Thorens 165 turntable. That was after I got it working for dad again. Good tunes.

ETA: And for the audiophiles... I was running a Nakamichi 410 pre-amp on a Phase Linear 300 Series Two 2x125W amp with some unknown model Acoustics Research speakers of unknown model- they has woofers on 3 sides. Man that chit rocked. Hard. Couldn't run the turntable at higher volumes because the bass would knock the needle off!

Last edited by bigfish9684; 06/23/17.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
I'm 32yo, so I was late to the party as a teenager. But I did play a few of his records on my dad's old Thorens 165 turntable. That was after I got it working for dad again. Good tunes.

You have good taste, it's never to late to appreciate genius. My kid is 19 and he loves and appreciates Zevon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut

You have good taste, it's never to late to appreciate genius. My kid is 19 and he loves and appreciates Zevon.

I can thank my dad for a lot of things. Taste in music is one of them. But the old man never liked Zepplin because it was too "heavy metal" for him. Used to drive him around in my car and he'd hear Led Zepplin and go "Who's this? They're good!"

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut

I can thank my dad for a lot of things. Taste in music is one of them. But the old man never liked Zepplin because it was too "heavy metal" for him. Used to drive him around in my car and he'd hear Led Zepplin and go "Who's this? They're good!"

I'll have to disagree with your dad on Zeppelin but we're obviously on the same page when it comes to Zevon!

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Damnit I'm supposed to be watching some chit on Netflix and I'm listening to Harry Chapin and Gordon Lightfoot right now...

Squirrelnutter, I disagree with my father about a bunch. Sometimes the old man just needs to be shown the light and vice versa. I'm sure it's all that way. I hate new music until I hear it. Yanno?

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FUBAR

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Damnit I'm supposed to be watching some chit on Netflix and I'm listening to Harry Chapin and Gordon Lightfoot right now...

Squirrelnutter, I disagree with my father about a bunch. Sometimes the old man just needs to be shown the light and vice versa. I'm sure it's all that way. I hate new music until I hear it. Yanno?

I understand completely. I'm 51 and my kid is 19 and he's educating me.every day.

I hate most new music and then I hear stuff like this that my son introduces me to...check this guy out...good stuff. I don't think this guy even has a recording contract yet. My kid is showing me the light.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Takin my arse over to friday night music thread...

Get your Zev on!

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big fan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy of mine called me up to tell me he had tickets to Warren Zevon and wanted to know if I wanted to go. I had been a DJ when Warren Zevon had first come out, and been comped tickets for a couple of his concerts. I remember my program director handing me a promo copy of Excitable Boy. It was one of the few albums I immediately took home and duped. That was 1978. This was now the late 90's and Warren Zevon had gotten sick. You could tell.

At first, the tickets were supposed to be for the Taft Theatre, one of our town's biggest venues. Later, the concert got moved to Bogarts, which was a much smaller place. Just before the concert, he got bumped and landed at Shipleys, a campus bar near the University of Cincinnati.

The place was packed. We got a seat just a few feet away from the stage. Warren Zevon put on a hell of a show.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Werewolves of London ......

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Warren Zevon was a great artist. "Werewolves of London" and "Lawyers, Guns and Money." Nobody else wrote songs like that.

In 1978 my buddy from the Georgia College soccer team and I went down to El Salvador to go surfing. Very good surfing down there.
We were living in a little town on the beach named La Libertad.
Well, one night, we had been there for about 2 months, George got into an argument with a goofball California hippie in the barroom there.
This guy was saying that, when the westward expansion began, all the people in Georgia who had any guts or brains packed up and moved to California. And only the white trash was left in Georgia.

So my buddy George, who weighed about 130, just beat the [bleep] out of this guy, who was about 50 pounds bigger. California hippie could talk big, but couldn't fight.
So, I got George out of that barroom and back to our apartment real quick. I mean the California hippie was a bloody mess.
I found out that the cops were liable to come arrest George and he would be in serious trouble. We had to get George out of the country!
But my van was broken down getting the motor rebuilt.
I called for a taxi for George. Right then, at midnight, George took a cab to the border of Guatemala. I told him to go to Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, and wait for me there in the town square.
So, off George went at midnight and he got the hell out of El Salvador safely. Cost him sixty bucks, I think the cabbie screwed him but he was in no position to argue.

A week later, I had the van fixed and drove up to Quetzaltenango and picked him up, and back we went to America.

So, "Lawyers Guns and Money" was our song. We sang it all the way back.

"I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The sh*t has hit the fan..."

Honduras, Guatemala, about the same. Life followed art. I especially loved Warren Zevon after George and my adventures in Guatemala.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great story

Huh! Draw blood...

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely a fan:

"Now they'll hunt me down and hang me for my crimes
if I tell about my dirty life and times"

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (240NMC, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.