Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'll bet he is not a friend of Justin's.

Justin who?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why do folks get their panties in a wad when the luck factor is mentioned? No one has disputed that it wasn't one hell of a shot. Or that the skill of the sniper isn't a deciding factor in enhancing said "luck". If the intended target, is a smaller area than the theoretical accuracy potential of the rifle, which it would almost have to be in this case, then it is pure luck that the bullet would happen to land within the confines of the targets torso, rather than outside it. Jeez, cool your jets and accept it for what it is. The good thing is, it's one more ISIS [bleep], that isn't stealing oxygen from the planet any longer. Kudo's to the rifleman, but to deny luck isn't a factor, is simply delusional.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since we don't know how many forms of remote techno gizmo data services he actually relied to take the shot,
we don't know how much luck was actually involved.

also, was he using ball or custom tuned rounds?

WE also don't know how mission critical the shot was, i.e.; was he just varminting? Had he missed it may have only
meant there was still one more iSIS raghead left to kill..He may have also missed on occasions at similar ranges prior,
which effects his KILL RATIO.

People talk about Chris Kyles 160 confirmed kills , but what was his K-R..?

Pound for pound, I reckon Elmer Keiths 600yd mule deer with open sight 44mag revolver takes the cake...grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
was he using ball or custom tuned rounds?

The fact that this question is even being fielded at this point is a good verifier that this thread's gone into endless loop,

Than and again, one can consider the source.....

You feel he may have picked up some Ball ammo from Cheaper than Dirt,.....or maybe just some that he found somewhere, and de-linked to play with ?

Jesus Weeps.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How stupid can you be to compare a Sniper holding a rifle that weighs around 200 lbs and shoots a little .50 Round that you can carry in your pocket to the 16" guns on a Naval ship that Weighs over 2,000 lbs. And has a number of bags of powder under it that are capable of pushing the projectile for 23 miles? Why don't we sit and compare an apple to an orange?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by rondrews
Ignorance may be bliss, but common sense is not.

are you pulling our leg or do not understand how that shot is possible, even though it would involve some luck.

Gotta be yanking our chain. IF not no one would put on a box that a 22 lr can go 1.5 miles... and that deer rifle type stuff can go 7 miles or so give or take like our hunter education stuff teaches.....

Common sense ain't all that common eh?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'll bet he is not a friend of Justin's.

Justin who?

Justin Trudeau
23rd Prime Minister of Canada

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Joken: Thank you for the clarification and interesting links.
Clearing the jungle with one shell to a diameter of 200 yards (600 feet!) is absolutely amazing.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
rondrew: For you to call someone stupid for something they didn't do is juvenile, petty and ignorant.
Its obvious you have something in your pimply faced head other than sharing information and interacting in a mature way with adults.
I suggest you graduate from "South Park Grade School" and grow up a bit then come back and interact politely.
Sheesh - your remind me of Kartman in so many ways.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
For sure, one unlucky muzzy.

I hope he lived long enough to hear the shot that got him and wonder how long the lag time before the sound got there.

Can you imagine others standing around him and hearing a whack and seeing a leg fly off and wondering wtf.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/25/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For those who are interested JBM ballistics will do calculations out to 4000 yards. It's free and online.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by akjeff
Why do folks get their panties in a wad when the luck factor is mentioned? No one has disputed that it wasn't one hell of a shot. Or that the skill of the sniper isn't a deciding factor in enhancing said "luck". If the intended target, is a smaller area than the theoretical accuracy potential of the rifle, which it would almost have to be in this case, then it is pure luck that the bullet would happen to land within the confines of the targets torso, rather than outside it. Jeez, cool your jets and accept it for what it is. The good thing is, it's one more ISIS [bleep], that isn't stealing oxygen from the planet any longer. Kudo's to the rifleman, but to deny luck isn't a factor, is simply delusional.

Jeff

WELL stated Jeff.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rondrews
How stupid can you be to compare a Sniper holding a rifle that weighs around 200 lbs and shoots a little .50 Round that you can carry in your pocket to the 16" guns on a Naval ship that Weighs over 2,000 lbs. And has a number of bags of powder under it that are capable of pushing the projectile for 23 miles? Why don't we sit and compare an apple to an orange?

Disregard my post... you ain't a chain yanker, you are just an ignorant person. Carry on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
was he using ball or custom tuned rounds?

The fact that this question is even being fielded at this point is a good verifier that this thread's gone into endless loop,

Than and again, one can consider the source.....

You feel he may have picked up some Ball ammo from Cheaper than Dirt,.....or maybe just some that he found somewhere, and de-linked to play with ?

Jesus Weeps.

GTC

No chit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by westside_benny

I shot a can of beef stew off a stump at over a mile once. True story.

What kind of beef stew? Dinty Moore I would understand.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in Armor training at Ft Knox in the 1980 s. The Army instructed us the Geneva convention forbid shooting a 50 cal (M 2) at troops. We were instructed to aim at the troops equipment. Is it now O.K. To snipe troops with. 50 cal?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by westside_benny

I shot a can of beef stew off a stump at over a mile once. True story.

What kind of beef stew? Dinty Moore I would understand.

P

Kind of hard to remember the details. It was a bad year. I lost my spotter and best friend, but shot down a helicopter; so there was at least a little payback. Had kind of become a recluse to be honest...lol. Was living in a chithole cabin with my dog and pretty much living off of canned goods. Then these spooky G Men show up, upset my dog, and got me thinking about whether or not a crazy shot at a mile would be possible. Now, I don't want to embellish, for the record it was not a standard 15 oz can but one of the big 25 oz ones; living alone in a mountain shack did not decrease my appetite! Anyways, and thanks for the question, I am pretty sure it was Dinty Moore; if only because there really is no other beef stew worth a damn.

As luck would have it I "go-pro'd" the whole thing...you can see it on Youtube.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
varmint guy. Go back and look at the post by crossfireoops and you will see why I answered in that manner..

Better to be over the hill than under it.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rost495
With the right AR and the right ammo and bullets, thats possible shooting, have done the same more than a few times myself with irons. MOA isn't that hard and you get lucky now and then and get sub MOA with irons too. SOmewhere if I could find it I have a 6 inch spotter disc that has 17 holes in it out of 22 shots, thats where you move the spindle to the last shot hole every time thats in the center of the 6 inch disc... that was only 900 though, but irons and an AR15.

Not hitting a 10 foot target at 1000 with a scoped rifle, I wouldn't have admitted that. LOL.

That is what happens when a friend calls you up and asks if you want to go to Twentynine Palms Military base and shoot your AR50 out to a 1000 yards
Having never shooting it past 100 yards to break in the barrel.
After about 5 shots I was on the Target and at fifteen shots I close to center my friend was not to good and after he sighted his rifle in his son was spot on.
The Officer that shot the AR15 told us at the end of the day that he would not be to afraid of my friend and myself but he would not want his son shooting at him.

We all got a good laugh out of it.

I invited another shooter he had an EDM 50BMG with a Leupold scope on it. Blew the scope up on the first shot.
at the end of the day I fired 3 rounds out of it and told him he could have it hurt me to much to care to ever shoot another one again.
My girl friend can shoot my AR50 all day and she is pretty much a Girly Girl when it comes to recoil.

Our Military guys deserve a lot more than they get. As bad as we were at first they all still gave us non military guys full respect.
Shook our hands at the end of the day and invited us back.

Last edited by funshooter; 06/26/17.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They do deserve more respect than they get thats for sure.

My wife is around 115 pounds, not quite 5 feet....she shoots all the time, and anything we have, the AR50 basically has no recoil to speak of. The concussion is a bit rough though after a while.

800 and 900 are not so bad, but things seem to get a bit weirder once you hit 1000... like I said I"ve never fired over 1800 yards with the 50 but I sure would like to at some point. I believe Alaska will allow me that chance in the coming years.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.