Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My wife is getting a new kitchen and I need something in return. She agreed to buy me a new rifle . not sure if $20k+ is same as $1000, but its a win win since happy wife is a happy life.
for years now , I have been on kick too get a medium bore rifle. I started off looking for a donor for either a 338-06 or a 35 whelen. I love my 270 and 06. So it seemed fitting to stay with the same parent cartridge.
I have been having hard time finding something decent at a reasonable price. Or after I get a donor and send it out is another expose,
I found the souer in 9.3x62. Its a beautiful rifle and even a bigger caliber. I found some impressive load data on it and looks like I'm just going to stick here. for now.
I know these rifles are fairly new, any one have hands on experience? the good, the bad, the ugly.
thanks again in advance
Andre

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Can't say as to the quality of the Sauer 100's, but the 200's are mighty fine.

[Linked Image]

Mine are in 30-06 and the Europa-lux with irons is chambered for the 25-06.

They are shooters and lookers. The actions on mine are slicker than owl schitt. I like the quick detach sling attachments. The rifles break down and the barrels can be changed out with the wrench included. Old world quality fit and finish. You will luv the 9.3 x 62. It will thump on the business end and is like a 30-06 on the back end.
Pre-enjoyed, the 200's can be had at a value!
Good luck and enjoy!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/24/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I own a Sauer 100 and it's a great rifle. I think you'll be pleased.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Osu.
Pics?
Wood or synthetic? Caliber ?

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GWB
Those are lookers for sure!!
I've seen many of your post and you have some beauties!
My 06 is an elk killer. But for some reason I want a real thumper.

IC B2

R
R
I am also interested to hear peoples experiences with sauer 100. Currently torn between Sauer 100 and T3x so any new information is welcome.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Don't Sauer 100's have press fit barrels?

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I know the Mauser M12 has press fit barrels but I thought the Sauer 100 is screwed in. I'll verify that tomorrow and get back to everyone.

Dre, my Sauer 100 (actually it's my wife's) is a synthetic in 6.5 Creedmoor. I struggle with posting photos here so pm me your phone number or an email address and I'll send you some.

The Sauer 100 was introduced in order to compete directly with the Tikka T3. It has the following advantages:

1. Remington 700 scope spacing for the attachment of any type of scope base you choose.
2. 5 round, flush fit magazine
3. The synthetic stock is more rigid than the Tikka.
4. Externally adjustable trigger.
5. Typical Sauer fit & finish.

Full disclosure here, I'm on Blaser-USA prostaff & J.P. Sauer & Sohn is part of the Blaser family. The barrels are made in the same room as Blaser & Mauser barrels with the same equipment.
Having said all that, I have been a fan of Tikka rifles for years, currently owning 4, one of which is a custom re-barrel. Either rifle is going to deliver a high level of satisfaction to the owner.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 06/25/17.

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking at wood and want to see actual pics and not a website pic.
If you don't mind me askIng, what did you pay for the synthetic?
The way I post pics is upload on Photobucket and get/copy the image code and paste it on here.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Full disclosure here, I'm on Blaser-USA prostaff & J.P. Sauer & Sohn is part of the Blaser family.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, pre-enjoyed R93 barrel, chambered for the 9.3 x 62 cartridge. Would appreciate a heads up if you know of one.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Here is some more information on the Sauer 100.

1. The barrel is press-fit.
2. The rifle comes with a 3 position safety.
3. It is offered in synthetic or wood stock, although the wood stock is just short of terrible looking.
4. The only downside I can see with the rifle is that it is not offered in a left hand version.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks for the reply.
I'm looking at wood and want to see actual pics and not a website pic.
If you don't mind me askIng, what did you pay for the synthetic?
The way I post pics is upload on Photobucket and get/copy the image code and paste it on here.

The synthetic rifle sells at $699. If I remember correctly, the wood sells at $799.

send me a pm and I'll send photos to your phone number or email address.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Full disclosure here, I'm on Blaser-USA prostaff & J.P. Sauer & Sohn is part of the Blaser family.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, pre-enjoyed R93 barrel, chambered for the 9.3 x 62 cartridge. Would appreciate a heads up if you know of one.

Best,

GWB

Will do!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Here is a review of the Sauer 100 by Ron Spomer. It's very well done and high quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GDOROS840

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After watching the video, it does have a press fit barrel. What are pros and cons can threaded ?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You are stuck with it as is. You cannot change the barrel, ever.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by peeshooter
You are stuck with it as is. You cannot change the barrel, ever.

Not true. Not for the home gunsmith, but changing the barrel is possible. Quoting John Barsness:

"But the desire to change the chambering of your rifle every few months, whether because of boredom or the introduction of a new “Wonder Cartridge,” is far from universal, and if you happen to shoot enough to wear out a Sauer or Mauser barrel then you can also probably afford to send the rifle back to Germany for a replacement. (A new barrel probably won’t cost any more than having a typical American gunsmith screw in a new barrel, and probably won’t take any longer, either.) Pressing the barrel into the action also results in a very stiff connection, another reason for the accuracy of both rifles."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/3/20/german-resurgence-mauser-12-and-sauer-101/

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
In the video, Ron shows that bolt lugs lock into the barrel and he believes that aids accuracy.

Dre Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OSU, the silencers that Sauer has. http://www.sauer.de/us/products/sauer-accessories/silencer-sauer-titanium-pro.html
Looks like available in some state, would I need a stamp for hunting surpersor?
Do the riffles come threaded for it or is that something extra or something I have to take to a gun smith?

Last edited by Dre; 06/26/17.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
At this point, suppressors are still covered under the NFA and have to be purchased much like a class III weapon, beginning with a $200 tax stamp and a lengthy delay. We all hope the Hearing Protection Act passes as it will allow suppressors to be bought over the counter with a simple NICS check, like long guns.

The Sauer does not come threaded but I will check to see if it could be done in San Antonio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.