Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was out with a friend this weekend and he brought one of these handguns out for me to shoot. He bought it off a guy that was needing to sell it but he has a bunch of 10mm's already and wants to sell it to me. Pistol is brand new and comes with the case, lock and magazine. I shot about 50 rounds of cheap ammo through it and it jammed on me several times so I'm a bit skeptical on buying it from him. Anyone have any experience with these pistols and can share their thoughts it would be much appreciated.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had one for a little while and had several jams myself. I tried Metalform, Wilson and Tripp McCormack mags with no luck. I got rid of it with full disclosure of its issues. I have a Sig 1911 that is great right out of the box and have had Dan Wessons, Colt Deltas and Kimbers in 1911 10mms and they were also good and dependable If I were in the market for a cheaper 10mm 1911 I would give the new Ruger a look. I am waiting on them to come out with a Commander to try.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't have direct experience with that gun, but have been shooting 10mm for years, including in 1911 pistols. First thing that comes to mind is when you say "cheap ammo" - in 10mm that usually means weak loads about 40 S&W power level. If the gun is set up for full power 10mm, it might be a little iffy with weaker loads. Unfortunately most 10mm pistols are built the other way, set up for weak loads not the full power stuff, and that can also cause malfunctions.

The other likely cause of "jamming", since you didn't say exactly what the problems were, is magazine issues.

I'd say it comes down to price, and whether you're willing to put the time and/or money into it to make it run right. That might involve replacing magazines, small parts like the firing pin stop or springs, or maybe gunsmithing work like cleaning up the feed ramp or extractor tuning. It's hard to say any more accurately than that without more information.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/26/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got one of these NIB about a month ago. Only have about 30 rounds fired so far, but it has run well. No FTFs or FTEs.

Only issue has been that it fails to lock the slide back on last round fired. Tried other mags and same result. This issue may work itself out with use. Could be an over heavy recoil spring as a friend suggested I guess which could cause jams also?

This rig is for shooting pests and hogs at the deer lease and not for defense so, overall it seems pretty decent for the money IMHO.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My friend wants $500 for it and it is brand new but the jamming issues worry me a bit still, though more break in could cure that or maybe better rounds? I wasn't paying any attention to the brand of ammo so I can't really speak about that but it was my friend that told me that the ammo was cheap. It seemed to shoot good, trigger was smooth, had some nice sights and I was grouping fairly decent at 25 yards, which was nice for an out of the box pistol.

Steelhead

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it's the TACT II model with the G10 grips, adjustable sights, etc. that is a decent price. Maybe he'd come down a bit since it is jamming a bit.

At half the price of a Colt Delta it may be worth a little tuning.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have had one for about a year, had trouble with jamming too. But it was just a burr on the little part that holds the bolt open on the last shot. Deburred it and it has been flawless since, it is a hoot to shoot.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by JERSEYJOHN
I have had one for about a year, had trouble with jamming too. But it was just a burr on the little part that holds the bolt open on the last shot. Deburred it and it has been flawless since, it is a hoot to shoot.

That's what I did TAC 45 that I had. Took it apart and inspected it before I shot it. It was a little rough here and there. It even fed Blazer.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
If it's the TACT II model with the G10 grips, adjustable sights, etc. that is a decent price. Maybe he'd come down a bit since it is jamming a bit.

At half the price of a Colt Delta it may be worth a little tuning.
I didn't see a TAC II on their website but this is the pistol he has for sale. http://armscor.com/firearms/tac-series/tac-ultra-fs-10mm/

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

That is like mine except I have the 4.25" barrel model.

I also have the same gun in 22TCM / 9mm and it has been flawless.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Agreed... Goes pretty much without saying that a gun that has major issues (like this one) the owner is going to take a big hit when He sells it===> Hey would You like to buy my gun that rarely works?.

AkMtnHntr,

I have the same pistol without the rail.

Had to have it, finally got one in locally, so I picked it up.

I had immediate trouble; The magazine would fall out every one to five rounds, it would frequently FTE (once to 3X every magazine), had some FTF issues. Poster child for a piece of [bleep].

I tried a diff. magazine, a different load, etc. all to no avail.

I wallowed in my buyers remorse, and looked with scorn upon any gun with RIA on it's slide (never mind I previously had a RIA 1911 9mm that ran flawlessly). I finally (months later) emailed RIA with a (long) list of it's issues.

They sent me a label for prepaid shipping. Including transit time they had the gun for about 12 days.

Runs fine now.

Compared to my Springfield Armory; It has a better trigger (IIRC 3 3/4 pounds measured), It is as accurate if not ever so slightly more (probably due to the better trigger). And the buyers remorse is gone.

IF he has the warranty paperwork in unused form and You want to add another caliber I'd go for it.

And I would try some full power ammo in it before contacting RIA

But I have to say, as cartridges go... I'll take a 45 Super (My SA 1911) over a 10mm (only if You reload though).

Let Us know How it works out for You.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy bought one of these and had issues out of the box as well. He sent it back to rock island and they replaced the gun. Turn around time was only a couple weeks and the new gun works perfectly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't buy that RIA trash.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I agree with Blue.

Paying $500 for a low budget gun that you know does not run, makes no sense at all.

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the thread about buying cheap guns, when I posted the following:

" A person in the industry once wrote this about the gun buying public, and their proclivity to buy cheap piece of crap guns:

"If you sold chocolate lollipops for $2 and dog [bleep] on a stick for $1.75, the American gun-buying public would suck a turd every time."

They were completely spot on.

90% of gun buyers will buy a cheap, sub par gun, and then brag about what a great deal they got on it. They will ignore the fact that every other magazine they have issues, or just don't
shoot it much at all, and carry it anyway, and use it as some sort of talisman. Hope being a strategy.

It makes no sense to me why a person would buy 3 or 4 garbage guns, of questionable reliability, instead of one high quality gun, from a manufacturer with a reputation of building
reliable guns.
"

AK,

Gambling that a cheap gun like a Rock Island will run, right out of the box for $500 is one thing, but knowing that the cheap gun does not, and still paying $500 for it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Do yourself a favor and up the odds of getting a handgun that will run right, right out of the box, by buying a better brand like Colt.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why even think of a Rock Island pistol?

Glock = perfect for Alaska

Glock 20 = perfect for 10mm

If I was dropping $500 on a 10mm to carry in Alaska, I'd get a Glock 20.

No jamming, no fuss, doesn't care about the water or corrosion.

Actually, that's what I did when I lived there from 1994-1997. Glock 20 with flat point bullets as a carry gun.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I agree with Blue.

Paying $500 for a low budget gun that you know does not run, makes no sense at all.

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the thread about buying cheap guns, when I posted the following:

" A person in the industry once wrote this about the gun buying public, and their proclivity to buy cheap piece of crap guns:

"If you sold chocolate lollipops for $2 and dog [bleep] on a stick for $1.75, the American gun-buying public would suck a turd every time."

They were completely spot on.

90% of gun buyers will buy a cheap, sub par gun, and then brag about what a great deal they got on it. They will ignore the fact that every other magazine they have issues, or just don't
shoot it much at all, and carry it anyway, and use it as some sort of talisman. Hope being a strategy.

It makes no sense to me why a person would buy 3 or 4 garbage guns, of questionable reliability, instead of one high quality gun, from a manufacturer with a reputation of building
reliable guns.
"

AK,

Gambling that a cheap gun like a Rock Island will run, right out of the box for $500 is one thing, but knowing that the cheap gun does not, and still paying $500 for it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Do yourself a favor and up the odds of getting a handgun that will run right, right out of the box, by buying a better brand like Colt.
This is exactly why I posted this in the first place, I didn't want to buy a gun for my wife that I would regret buying later on. It shot well, was very accurate for a straight out of the box gun but the feed issues were just to big an issue for me. I've decided not to buy the gun and will look for a deal on a Glock, Colt or Kimber.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMHO, any 1911 format handgun in Alaska weather conditions is asking for a jam compared to a Glock, which you almost have to try to jam.

Especially if exposed while hiking, riding a 4 wheeler, or having been tipped into a river from a canoe or boat.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Why even think of a Rock Island pistol?

If you want something to fiddle with and learn the 1911, a bargain RIA makes sense. The "upgrade" models, not so much. Especially since they aren't that much cheaper than other options (Ruger) of better build. If it's not for serious work and the price can come down, I wouldn't write it off.

As for packin' a 1911 in Alaska winters.....not what I would advise.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
By a used 23 or 22 for Alaskan carry and feed it BB or Underwood.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

This is exactly why I posted this in the first place, I didn't want to buy a gun for my wife that I would regret buying later on. It shot well, was very accurate for a straight out of the box gun but the feed issues were just to big an issue for me. I've decided not to buy the gun and will look for a deal on a Glock, Colt or Kimber.
[/quote]

I think you made a wise choice.

I believe David Walter's advice makes a whole bunch of sense.

A pair of Glock 29s would serve both you and your bride quite well. Add a couple of aftermarket .40S&W conversion barrels for cheaper training ammo, and you would be pretty well set.

Pick up a couple of full size G20 magazines, for a reload, for your G29, and you would be good to go. If you ever feel the need, you could always put the G20 mag in right up front and have 15+1 10MMs ready to go.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 264mag, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 37 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.