Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The drive and capacity to learn stuff........not everybody has it.
Grew up in non mechanical household.
Poor college kid with beater car...........I learned rather quickly.

Then came the Jeeps, lift kits, engine and transmission changes etc.
Good times. Learned a lot, had fun too.

Too old to do that stuff anymore. Even lesser jobs.........'bout killed me just getting dang power steering pulley on new pump yesterday.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I don't think it's a city/rural thing either. I grew up in a city, and that didn't hold me back. OTOH, I can think of several individuals that I know were raised rural, by rural raised parents, who can't deal with simple mechanical or electrical tasks. Heck - farmers around here are famous for parking things instead of fixing them anyway.

Actually FM, it is a rare cocky that will fix anything, especially gates.

Cocky = white bird that sits in middle of paddock and squarks.

I don't think it's a city/rural thing either. I grew up in a city, and that didn't hold me back. OTOH, I can think of several individuals that I know were raised rural, by rural raised parents, who can't deal with simple mechanical or electrical tasks. Heck - farmers around here are famous for parking things instead of fixing them anyway.

You need to hang around a better class of cockeys.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW met folks that worked in mechanical type jobs............that outside of their jobs..............were completely clueless.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Kids with hot cars, lifted 4x4............playing on iphones.
Can't run machines at work, or fix their rides.
Posers.
Chicks like a fake dude (evidently).
Politically, moderates or democrats............they are.
Fuggin morons.

Bad thing, even some guys middle aged, worked in plant forever..............still clueless on their cars/trucks.
One guy asked to come over, his truck acting funny.
Driveshaft about to fall off, wheel bearing totally shot on one side, bad on other.
Drove it like that for a couple weeks.............lucky bastid it didn't fail or tear up other.

Bet his radio and outlet for phone charger worked.....or he'd have parked it.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/27/17.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother's step son is one of these. The kid is real smart. Flew through college and popped out getting a job at a large financial firm. I think he started off making about $70K. I'd be surprised if he even knows how to put gas in the car. I know for a fact that he doesn't even know how to check his oil. My brother said so.

His parents got divorced when the kids were little and the father is a pansy too. So the kids were basically raised by the mother (my brother's wife). He can't check his own oil, but he can tell you what the newest fashion of men's clothing is.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

You need to hang around a better class of cockeys.

How big is your block?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not big. You could walk across it in three or four days.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It is your property so if you wish to be cute about it then it is your right.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
No, no. You were supposed to say.....You can walk across New York State in two.......

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The acceptance of men driving Subarus, needing a shave 3 days ago, tattoos and piercings, and baby changing tables in men's rooms is not a good sign of what has happened to the American male.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No, no. You were supposed to say.....You can walk across New York State in two.......

Sorry, I am in the Riverina in Australia and not sure how you lot play these games there.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Ha! I thought you were trying to make a joke.....anyway I suppose its in the neighborhood of 8500 acres.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Caught me off guard. Might be a cultural thing, we dont ask each other that question.

I noticed from my time spent in New Zealand that the topic of "how big is your station" came up quite often.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Uselessness is now the accepted norm..

For some reason every time I see that commercial I find that woman to be pretty attractive. She has that "millf" thing going, I guess.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by gunner500
I had a small conference in a city I wont name, I saw "men" there carrying purses, yes purses,
Those purses for males are called "[bleep] bags".

Is the [bleep] supposed to read f-ag bag? sick

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ha! I thought you were trying to make a joke.....anyway I suppose its in the neighborhood of 8500 acres.

Fair enough...a small block here is around 30 000 acres, a large one is 70-100 000, a big one is 200 000, and a big one north/west of here is around 500 000, bloody really big ones up north are well over that.

A lot of fencing and gates to keep up, especially since most are dry-land farming with some small irrigation...mostly on dry arid country that is for most seasons barely tenable.

South of here the farms are much better land and much smaller, and more intensive.

Generally speaking.

The small block where I will be cutting firewood on Saturday is just over 30 000 acres and the farmer's son runs that by himself. when I shot 'roos for a living I had the run of over 30 properties, most of which were run by just the farmer with no permanent staff.

I would bet London to a brick that your country is far nicer and more productive than most small blocks here...the local cotton blocks deal in serious coin, as do the feedlots, but most others are one man shows.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Parenting has the most to do with it......but in the defense of today's youths, there seems to be a pretty big "feminization" campaign going on.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Caught me off guard. Might be a cultural thing, we dont ask each other that question.

I noticed from my time spent in New Zealand that the topic of "how big is your station" came up quite often.

No insult intended, my immediate family has had three properties, one in Victoria, one in NSW, and one in Queensland...none in this generation (including myself) have any desire to own or work land.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A couple years ago we were reading about the largest cattle ranch in Australia. It was for sale at the time so of course we all looked at it.

It was a lot cheaper than we had expected, so we looked a little closer. Turns out that the big ranch in Florida ran more stock units than the behemoth in Australia.

The acres required to summer one pair was astounding.

My father in law spent a lot of time in his youth mining up in the Territories and farming over in the West. I like to hear him talk about the sheer scale of everything, and the remoteness.

He has 1000 acres in New Zealand and it is a pretty sizable operation for his area. At one time he ran 5000 sheep and put up his own feed on those 1000 acres. Just himself and a helper.

My area is not as productive as that, but much more productive than some areas in Australia it sounds like.

My outfit would be considered mid sized up here.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A couple years ago we were reading about the largest cattle ranch in Australia. It was for sale at the time so of course we all looked at it.

It was a lot cheaper than we had expected, so we looked a little closer. Turns out that the big ranch in Florida ran more stock units than the behemoth in Australia.

The acres required to summer one pair was astounding.

My father in law spent a lot of time in his youth mining up in the Territories and farming over in the West. I like to hear him talk about the sheer scale of everything, and the remoteness.

He has 1000 acres in New Zealand and it is a pretty sizable operation for his area. At one time he ran 5000 sheep and put up his own feed on those 1000 acres. Just himself and a helper.

My area is not as productive as that, but much more productive than some areas in Australia it sounds like.

My outfit would be considered mid sized up here.

A thousand acres in NZ is like winning lotto...here it is barely a holding paddock for the shearing shed.

To put it in perspective Uardry (local) when it was owned by the Black family holdings and run by Chris Bowman was somewhere around 70 000 acres and ran over 20 000 sheep and some cattle and irrigation (rice etc).

Chris is a very good operator and a heck of a fellow to deal with, and more to the point his word is absolute gold which brings a lot of business to any enterprise.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 345dl, 219 Wasp, 47 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,973
Posts18,519,820
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.