Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Lately I've come to understand how deficient our history teachings in the Civil War actually are. I've come to understand why so many in the South were so hot for secession and why so many who weren't went along with them and considered that they were forced into it.

Consider John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry. My whole life it was taught as a hopelessly misguided crazy act by a nut. It was that but it was much much more. Brown took over the arsenal, killing several people in the process for the express purpose of starting a slave rebellion whereby white women and children would be slaughtered mercilessly. He invoked the memories of Nat Turner and of the slave rebellion in St, Domingo (Haiti). For those who don't remember Turner went on a killing spree where several hundred white women and children, down to suckling babies were hacked and roasted to death after being raped and tortured. In St. Domingo a slave revolt had literally killed every white person on the island regardless of sex or age.

To this end Brown hae secured nearly 2,000 pikes to give the slaves that he assumed would flock to him at Harper's Ferry. To southerners, a crazy man and his followers inflamed by years out of control invective and rhetoric were bad enough, but it soon emerged from captured letters that he had received the financial backing of at least five wealthy donors and that many more people were actually aware of what he was going to try to do. It was bad enough that of the five backers, all but one or two actually left the country for fear of prosecution until after Brown's execution and things settled down a bit. Even Frederick Douglas the famous former slave split to England for a bit because Brown had told him of his plans.

Now consider southern rage when despite pretty clear evidence of the involvement of these men, none were prosecuted. Further consider that instead of universal condemnation many northern newspapers and almost all of them in New England lauded him as a hero. Then imagine as further insult to injury that within a couple of years, the party founded on the ideas Brown expressed and backed by many of the same people who had backed Brown gained the presidency. Consider that Lincoln almost unanimously carried New England where Brown's support was the strongest and the rhetoric against the South the most hateful.

To put it in modern perspective imagine a world where ANTIFA takes over a federal arsenal in Texas for the express purpose of rallying illegal aliens to rebel against and slaughter Americans. Imagine if they did that and it was proved that George Soros funded them and bought 20,000 AK-47s to give to the illegals so that they could, in fact, kill us and our women and children. Then imagine that Soros was never prosecuted, continued to fund all sorts of anti-American causes, and a candidate bought and paid for with his money and vowing to end the power of "racist white Americans" wins the next election. Imagine all that. Would you blame Texas and a few other states if they said we're not going to be in the same country as the people who tried to murder us a few years before?

When the first New England troops mustered in and marched to Washington. They were singing John Brown's body.

I can say with the benefit of hindsight that the war was a mistake. I can say that they shouldn't have fired on Sumter and waited for the numerous political divisions in the North to fester. I can say all that now. But, by gosh, I understand completely why their blood was up and hot.

Well stated.

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
There's no doubt in my mind that the people today who think the Civil War saved the nation would have sided with England during the Revolution if they had been alive.

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
"but as I understand it, both sides knew secession would bring a war."

You missed the point of my post. It shouldn't have caused a war.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by victoro
There's no doubt in my mind that the people today who think the Civil War saved the nation would have sided with England during the Revolution if they had been alive.

Here's a clue for you whistle- They did fight for England.. They were called Loyalists The south of all places had the most bloody brother against brother fighting! Google the battle of King's Mountain.. The southern rebels slaughtered
the english and their own relatives on the loyalist side in that mountain battle..

Last edited by CEJ1895; 06/28/17.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

Here's a clue for you whistle- They did fight for England.. They were called Loyalists The south of all places had the most bloody brother against brother fighting! Google the battle of King's Mountain.. The southern rebels slaughtered
the english and their own relatives on the loyalist side in that mountain battle..

Tories.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't have any ancestors who fought at King's Mountain but I have a sixth-great grandfather who was killed at Cowpens fighting Banastre Tarleton and his goons. The war in the South was bad and was where the war was really won.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 06/28/17.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
"but as I understand it, both sides knew secession would bring a war."

You missed the point of my post. It shouldn't have caused a war.

How can that be a "point" when it obviously didn't?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lincoln said the following on March 4, 1861:

"In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow-countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The Government will not assail you. You can have
no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors. You have no oath registered in heaven to destroy the Government, while I shall have the most solemn one to
"preserve, protect, and defend it.".

"I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The
mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the
chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.".

Subsequent actions are well documented by historians, each with his/her own biases and perspectives.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Lincoln said the following on March 4, 1861:

"In your hands, my dissatisfied fellow-countrymen, and not in mine, is the momentous issue of civil war. The Government will not assail you. You can have
no conflict without being yourselves the aggressors. You have no oath registered in heaven to destroy the Government, while I shall have the most solemn one to
"preserve, protect, and defend it.".

"I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The
mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the
chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.".

Subsequent actions are well documented by historians, each with his/her own biases and perspectives.

I think JoeBob already explained why Lincoln's pretty words were held in as high an esteem as those from another popmpeous dousche from Illinois.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This thread is classic...... hey mcfly, s its liberals versus conservatives today . Demographics spread out nationwide......

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut

I don't have any ancestors who fought at King's Mountain but I have a sixth-great grandfather who was killed at Cowpens fighting Banastre Tarleton and his goons. The war in the South was bad and was where the war was really won.

I have read that between 15% and 20% of the people in the thirteen colonies, subsequently the thirteen original states, remained loyal to The Crown and tens of thousands of them gave up their properties and the lives that they had built from New Hampshire to Georgia and relocated to the UK, Canada, and other British colonies. Through my Father's side, I am a descendant of Crown Loyalists who left their farms on Long Island, NY, and relocated to settle near Fredericton, NB. When I was a small boy, I remember visiting the Fredericton area every couple of years so that my Father could reconnect with his relatives. I don't remember a lot about those visits, other than that we always stayed at the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel and one of the families that we visited with had an original Brown Bess musket that I thought was very cool.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The question has been answered on the field of battle a hundred and fifty years ago.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As a "southerner" I agree that the whole question was settled 150 years ago. And as for John Brown being a "terrorist"... The thought of slaves rising up and killing whites was terrifying....but not nearly as terrorizing as a couple of centuries of whites putting blacks in chains, raping the black women, separating families, treating them all like animals, killing or beating to death, those who desperately ran for freedom etc etc. and even though other Blacks (and Muslims) originally captured and sold the Africans into slavery, to be deported around the globe, the fact remains that the South's economy was built on the foundation of the Evil institution of slave labor.
Those most wealthy and powerful in the south were either directly dependent on slavery to support their wealth and power or politically dependent on supporting its continuation. The mere thought of outlawing slavery had huge economic and security concerns for the south. Even church denominations split over the topic of slavery. Crazy that those who organized around the Love and Redemption of Christ, placed that love in subservience to economic and social pressures of the day. Unfortunately, we were headed for civil war for 40-50 years before the war actually stated.
I am no liberal, and have great misgivings about an ever encroaching federal government, but as to the civil war, despite our loss and the loss of many ancestors, I truly believe it was God's intervention that finally had to be done. I'm just glad we were able to reconcile and eventually move on as one Nation.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great assessment RBH. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ancient history and water long gone under the bridge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread sounds like the whiney liberals after the November elections.

I know your feelings are hurt but you got your azz kicked. Deal with it and move on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
As a "southerner" I agree that the whole question was settled 150 years ago. And as for John Brown being a "terrorist"... The thought of slaves rising up and killing whites was terrifying....but not nearly as terrorizing as a couple of centuries of whites putting blacks in chains, raping the black women, separating families, treating them all like animals, killing or beating to death, those who desperately ran for freedom etc etc. and even though other Blacks (and Muslims) originally captured and sold the Africans into slavery, to be deported around the globe, the fact remains that the South's economy was built on the foundation of the Evil institution of slave labor.
Those most wealthy and powerful in the south were either directly dependent on slavery to support their wealth and power or politically dependent on supporting its continuation. The mere thought of outlawing slavery had huge economic and security concerns for the south. Even church denominations split over the topic of slavery. Crazy that those who organized around the Love and Redemption of Christ, placed that love in subservience to economic and social pressures of the day. Unfortunately, we were headed for civil war for 40-50 years before the war actually stated.
I am no liberal, and have great misgivings about an ever encroaching federal government, but as to the civil war, despite our loss and the loss of many ancestors, I truly believe it was God's intervention that finally had to be done. I'm just glad we were able to reconcile and eventually move on as one Nation.

My ancestors owned slaves. Family history and census records bear it out. Big deal, doesn't bother me in the least as it was legal to do so at that time. My family were Southern Baptists, just as I am today, a church that was split over slavery. The events of that period of time can be discussed all we want to, but we cannot.....nor should we......be able to change history. Yankees and Southern apologists want to keep throwing the slavery thing up in our faces every time some Negro commits a crime, and then blames it on the Confederate flag or his ancestors being slaves. If we had half as much sympathy for the American Indian, who's land were stolen and who's people were slaughtered , as we do a bunch of half wild heathens who were captured and made into slaves 200 years ago, we'd be much better off.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

What a load of abolitionist horseschit. Were the southern planters more dependent on slaves than the planters in Brazil or the British West Indies? Were they more brutal or less moral? Of course, not. But in those places slavery was peacefully abolished with compensated emancipation. The difference? None of those places had crazed Yankee Puritans preaching hell fire and brimstone about the need to purge the nation of the sin of slavery with the blood of southerners.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/29/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just glad we were able to reconcile and eventually move on as one Nation.

To be honest, I feel like we HAD moved past the vast majority of issues...

Until Obama and BLM and Soros, and snowflakes started scraping the scabs off again. Not to mention removing all the sacred monuments and changing names and trying to re-write history.

I truly feel since Obama, race relations in the U.S. have been set back 50 years or more.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob

What a load of abolitionist horseschit. Were the southern planters more dependent on slaves than the planters in Brazil or the British West Indies? Were they more brutal or less moral? Of course, not. But in those places slavery was oeacefully abolished with compensated emancipation. The difference? None of those places had crazed Yankee Puritans preaching heel fire and brimstone about the need to purge the nation if the sin of slavery with the blood of southerners.

That's because the concept of "bringing everyone up" is foreign to liberals. Anybody different than themselves must be destroyed, or at least brought down to their level.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.