Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had a double fixed about 25 yrs ago.Laproscopic with the mesh.
Was walking the next day and poking around at work a few days later.Only issue I had ,was I could feel the staples every so often.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Going in next Thursday for an inguinal hernia. Had one done about 35 yrs, rough recovery. Hope it goes better this time.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had it done 50 years ago. All that I remember was how bad the food was for this 5 year old. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by usull
BTW , that Polymer Mesh is really expensive .

I remember when we got all of the insurance stuff back. My wife went thru it with a fine-tooth comb. She told me it would cost well over $100,000 to buy one yard of the stuff at the size/prices they charged me.......

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I had a umbilical hernia fixed in February '16. Did the less invasive way. Thought I was going to die when my bowels finally moved after five days. A doctor friend said it would take six weeks to fully recover. She was spot on. No issues now. Glad I did it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It is in my future, unfortunately.

Anyone had that done?

I suppose they will use a mesh in the procedure.

How about recovery/down time?

Anything to be concerned about or ask?

Thanks!

If you need it get it. The sooner the better as the tear is NOT going to heal itself - only get worse. Significant down time was 3 months followed by much improvement and more importantly, no further worries.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had one repaired several years ago. I slept in the recliner the first night. No problems since then.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine was terrible pain constantly for week 1. The drive home was bad enough I was whining to the wife to drive more smoothly. Occasional terrible pain for weeks 2 and 3. Back to work week 4, no more pain pills needed, but pain on occasion. Within 2 months, just a twinge on occasion. Glad I got it done, but it was a rough month, and I have no qualms about taking the good pain pills as prescribed.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Take a mild laxative, you do not want to strain--

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had one done in 2003. Cut/mesh, outpatient. Was pretty numbed up on the ride home. 1st couple of days was uncomfortable. Best advice I got was to use stool softeners.
Listen to the Dr.! Good Luck

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coworker had it done a couple years ago. He was late 50's, strong, but not "in shape".

He took 2 weeks off and had another two light duty then was back lifting 50+# bags. Been good since.

I'd be sure I found a guy that specialized in the procedure and had a pile of good references.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FWIW, mine is an epigastric hernia. Above my belly button, under my sternum. I can tell the tear is about 4-5" long.

Laid back on the bed one evening, and it looked like I had a softball sticking out of my stomach.

I'm real careful to keep things in place now. It seems like it's more of an issue when getting up, or laying down.

Damn. Be careful. If you colic I gotta come down there to choot you and fire up the backhoe.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alonzo_Tubbs
You've been given very good advice by the others on this board, If you'll allow it, I'd like to add my .02 cents, having had two double hernias repaired.

Be very selective of your surgeon (not all are as good as others) and then listen to him. An other patient who had the surgery the same day as I took a cab home from the hospital and went to work the same day. Ripped himself wide open and required a lot of painful repair work. Because the surgery doesn't take all that long, it's easy to think of it as minor. It's not. Recuperation period is about three weeks although it may take longer for a full recovery.

Your recliner will be your best friend. Because you never fully recline in one your abdominal muscles aren't stretched as they would be lying in bed; speeds up recuperation and diminishes pain. After a week or two in the recliner your first time in bed will be uncomfortable but not painful. This'll help you get off those awful pain meds much sooner. Both times, I've taken Percoset (sp)upon arrival home, slept for twelve hours and switched to Tylonal as required for the duration. Get off that pain medication as quickly as possible to avoid addiction.

Best of luck to you and I'll throw in a prayer for you tonight.

Alonzo Tubbs

Thank you, Alonzo!

I'm planning on doing away with the pain meds when I exit the facility.

Think again hombre. I decided I was going to not to take the meds, the doctor told me even if you feel OK, take the meds, that will be the surgery meds masking the pain. I didn't listen, first day was not feeling too bad, skipped the meds, paid huge with severe pain anytime I tried to get off the bed. It took everything I had to roll over onto my stomach and slide off the bed that way. If they cut you, take the meds, don't be a hero.
Then to top that off, I got a cough. Every time I felt I hat to cough, I would have to stuff a pillow under my stomach, put as much weight as I could on it, and it still felt like I was getting hit with a Bowie knife..it was hell.

Last edited by Barkoff; 06/30/17.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I had a double inguinal done arthroscopically. The doc said I'd be back to work framing in 3 weeks. Hell, I still needed help to get off the couch(where I had to sleep) for that long..... Missed 2 full months of work and had fairly light duty as a cut man for a couple more weeks after coming back. I swear I could feel the mesh clear down into my ballsack. The feeling was similar to rubbing yourself with drywall sanding screens..... The worse part was my incision was too close to my bellybutton. It has been years since the surgery and my navel still gets infected because the scar tissue pushes my 'innie' closed and it gets infected down under the blockage. Have fun, Barry.....

If I had to do it over again, I'd wear a truss like my ol' man did and not go thru that chit again.

Dammit.

I've got a girdle already... Might have to get one for every day of the week. wink

So now I finally have a quail hunting buddy who wears a girdle. Geerrreat. I'll tell God this isnt exactly what I had in mind. frown

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by usull
Wow , if I had read some of these comments about a year and a half ago , I would have been worried . Maybe because of other Medical problems , I had lost about 50 pounds and maybe that was the reason I had so few problems . I had two Hernias "meshed" ,,,,,, a few inches on either side of my naval . Went home the next day with little pain . Might have used a few Pain Meds for a few days . When I was leaving the Hospital I did lift a big bag and was told to cut it out . The only thing I remember is that a large part of the groin area turned black after 2 or 3 days and I checked in to my Primary Care who called the Surgeon and he said : " Dont worry , the natural color will return in about a week . I do remember when I went in for my Consultation with the Surgeon , he asked if I would mind if he brought in some Student Doctors . I said " sure , if they don't touch me " . Anyway , usually they bring in 1 or 2 Students . He brings in about a dozen and then he has me stand up on a raised platform , and says to drop my pants . Normally , I'm not very self conscious but after having lost 50 pounds , my stomach area looks pretty flabby . So there I stand wondering what to say next . I did think to say : " Prepare to be amazed " , but decided that since this was my first meeting with This Surgeon that I ought to ask some Technical questions . BTW , that Polymer Mesh is really expensive .

Ploymer mesh is expensive because lowyers er pertectin you from killr dockters.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
FWIW, mine is an epigastric hernia. Above my belly button, under my sternum. I can tell the tear is about 4-5" long.

Laid back on the bed one evening, and it looked like I had a softball sticking out of my stomach.

I'm real careful to keep things in place now. It seems like it's more of an issue when getting up, or laying down.

Damn. Be careful. If you colic I gotta come down there to choot you and fire up the backhoe.

Deal! laugh

I've checked funeral home prices. Just bury me the Cowboy Way! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
So now I finally have a quail hunting buddy who wears a girdle. Geerrreat. I'll tell God this isnt exactly what I had in mind. frown

That reminds me...

Was shredding the olive orchard last week. All those bobwhite pairs I was seeing in the spring are now coveys. Lot's of them. Was covered up by them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe

If you live in a fairly small town or city, I recommend doing a little research and going to an well experienced surgeon in a larger city. They get a lot more practice at surgery of a specific type. A botched hernia surgery killed my father-in-law. The local surgeon unknowingly nicked the intestine and the local hospital didn't do anything for 30 hours or more. They only sent him to a hospital in Spokane when he was going downhill from sepsis. By then it was too late to save him. You want a surgeon that has done hundreds of these operations.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

Best advice on this thread. I had a double inguinal done four years ago, using the mesh repair and a laproscopic approach. Both my younger brothers had the procedure before I did, so it was my turn. Have it done before a little problem becomes a big problem.

What you want is a surgeon who does hernia repair for a living, like very week. Who has done this surgery hundreds, if not thousands of times. Who can do this surgery blindfolded, one handed and behind his back. And who is Board Certified. We live in a smaller city but it has a big hospital which gets referrals from all over No MI, including 'da UP. I got plenty of recommendations from friends and family about who to use.

Recovery and healing was uneventful. But you must follow the surgeons orders. Repairing a botched up hernia surgery is a goat rodeo.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Good to see you again Natty. Been gone a long while myself but used to see you occasionally over on nssmbbs.

'Lonzo

Last edited by Alonzo_Tubbs; 07/01/17. Reason: fat fingers
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I had it done twice, no big deal, don't sneeze for at least 3 weeks. Mine hurt when I f....ked for a while.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257 mag, badwolf, 35, BABore, BDR1, 7 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,058
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.