Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Wook
Originally Posted by GuyM
Firewood at Yukon Territories campgrounds was free. You'll need a way to split it, but it's avail in bins at the campgrounds. Those campgrounds are a bargain too at only $12 Canadian!

Farther south in BC, I did pay for some firewood, but it was reasonable. And split, and even delivered to the campsite!

Guy

WHAT???? $12/night to camp at the Yukon campgrounds and free firewood? That's insane. I was planning on $25-40/night for camping and I'm talking about a regular campground, not a full utility hook-up and whatnot. When it said '$12 camping permit required,' I figured that was in addition to the campground fee. lol

Yes. And really clean, neat campsites too. I'm looking forward to going back to the Yukon for a fishing/camping trip. Maybe next summer!

Guy

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
carry an extra can or 2 of fuel if you can

slow down for the bridges some of the bridges are quite a bit higher than the road surface so hitting them at a good rate of speed will be a bit rough on things.

otherwise it was smooth sailing 3 years ago when I did it with my brother-in-law and loved that road. for being a dirt road it's better than a lot of paved roads that i've been on over the years

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Check your phone service to make sure they don't tack on any additional foreign or roaming charges. These can get expensive quickly.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by GuyM
Firewood at Yukon Territories campgrounds was free. You'll need a way to split it, but it's avail in bins at the campgrounds. Those campgrounds are a bargain too at only $12 Canadian!

Farther south in BC, I did pay for some firewood, but it was reasonable. And split, and even delivered to the campsite!

Guy

i didnt want to disclose our secret ...even at our peso rate it is really a bargain ...

fishing is good too for sure ...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I made the trip from CT 14 times over the years. Make sure your vehicle is in good repair before you leave, as others say credit cards no problem. Most banks along the border will do currency exchange. I would cross from ND and the first town I would stop at the bank and make the exchange. The way I travel 1000 USD was more than enough. Fairbanks AK banks may have some CAN currency or may not. As for the trip, its pretty good one, I always planned on 7 days on the Alcan. Take your time. Keep your tank full, There are spots on the road that you are a good 120 miles between service stations. take some extra belts hoses for your machine- insurance if you will. 300 to 400 miles per day is about right little more or less. Enjoy it's a fun trip, even when you are alone like me, and your old underpowered VW Jetta Diesel. I even did the trip a few times in winter- that makes for interesting planning.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you plan on having some "adult beverages" in the evening you will want to take some with you, if you don't you will cringe at the price of them in BC.

The allowance you can take duty free is fairly generous, you can check Canadian Customs on line and the amounts are listed.

I usually take the maximum allowed and give it to my Canadian friends.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by yobuck
In 1952, my father and 2 friends drove from PA to Whitehorse for a 30 day hunt with the late Alex Van Bibber who lived in
Champain YT.
The 30 day hunt was $50 per day per hunter, with each hunter having his own guide.
At that time the entire highway was dirt, and still having some very crude bridges over streams.
The one guy was a Chevy salesman, and they took a new 52 Chevy station wagon with 3 spare tires.
They only ruined one tire, and the only car damage was a broken windshield and some paint damage on the hood.
Scrapers worked the road continuously to keep it usuable.

That was fairly inexpensive for the times but I just did a conversion of what the $50 would be in todays dollars -

$50.00 in 1952 had the same buying power as $455.53 in 2017

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr Van Bibber left us this last year. He was well thought of in YT!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I visit US campgrounds today, I see they want $8 to $15 for about a cubic foot of firewood. I probably have $100k's worth stacked behind the house.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have too many transactions a month for a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking Account.

IC B3

E
E
For any others making the trek, I recommend keeping an eye out for any big dark lumps up ahead on the pavement. In our case, they turned out to be two bison bulls with no interest in moving, matched by my lack of interest in striking one at highway speed. This was in winter, so it might not be much of an issue mid-summer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I travel into Canada a couple times a year. Have never had a border guard check my insurance.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eidsvolling
For any others making the trek, I recommend keeping an eye out for any big dark lumps up ahead on the pavement. In our case, they turned out to be two bison bulls with no interest in moving, matched by my lack of interest in striking one at highway speed. This was in winter, so it might not be much of an issue mid-summer.

Yes, have seen quite a few near Liard Hot Springs in winter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by eidsvolling

Yes, have seen quite a few near Liard Hot Springs in winter.

Same experience during a blizzard.....bison were covered with snow and lying in the road.......finally realized that a bull very close to me had just blinked an eye.....close call.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have Canadian money.
Mid 90s, in the truck, I was well up into Quebec,
stopped a a resturant for a travel mug of coffee.
They charged me over $2 for the coffee, and all I had was
an American $5 bill, got Canadian change! grin Expensive
darn coffee, but it was good. Glad I didn't have to break a
Benjamin.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
AWESOME trip. Loved driving to central, WA. Buddy and I drove the Cassiar to the Canadian Rockies (loved Smithers and Banff) and my buddy dropped me off in Walla Walla. Yukon, BC and Alberta are every bit as beautiful as Alaska. Free wood at the campgrounds, like others said. You can drive your vehicle as fast as is safe for the conditions. There aren't any Mounties, except in the urban areas. Beautiful weather 6/8 days. Canadian customs agents DID search our RV when we returned from Hyder. GREAT trip overall. $1,200 including camping fees to drive 2,810 miles to central WA.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear this! Good weather over that long a stretch, is, well.... a stretch!

Wook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kid0917
Glad to hear this! Good weather over that long a stretch, is, well.... a stretch!

Yeah, this white boy was struggling with 90 degree weather in both Canada and WA. Enjoyed it though. Wish I could have gotten in the water more.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just made the trip, dragging a small trailer. Had to divert from the Cache Creek to Williams Lk route due to fires. Saw many black bear, deer, wood bison, moose and Caribou. Took a run to Dawson, ferry across to the Taylor hwy.(start rant) The Taylor is terrible and seems to go on and on. Tok cut off is equally terrible with it's usual frost heaves and drops in the road. The Tok cut off has always been horrible between Mentasta to Chistochina. It was crappy in the 60s and continues to be so today, despite many many over lays and rebuilds. Even the earthquake rebuild is bad. No road in Canada is as bad as the Tok CO and the Taylor. Rant over. Tool 6 days and had 3 days of rain. Not a lot of construction delays. Overall, good trip.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pak
Just made the trip, dragging a small trailer. Had to divert from the Cache Creek to Williams Lk route due to fires. Saw many black bear, deer, wood bison, moose and Caribou. Took a run to Dawson, ferry across to the Taylor hwy.(start rant) The Taylor is terrible and seems to go on and on. Tok cut off is equally terrible with it's usual frost heaves and drops in the road. The Tok cut off has always been horrible between Mentasta to Chistochina. It was crappy in the 60s and continues to be so today, despite many many over lays and rebuilds. Even the earthquake rebuild is bad. No road in Canada is as bad as the Tok CO and the Taylor. Rant over. Tool 6 days and had 3 days of rain. Not a lot of construction delays. Overall, good trip.

Are you in town now?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (1lessdog, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 15 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,998
Posts18,481,175
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.