Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have a couple of Super Grade mod. 70 stocks that I plan to refinish with oil type finishes. They have white line spacers that I would like to get rid of. New Pachmayr pads will take care of that one, but will leave the forend tip and grip cap. Has anyone tried painting over these and ended up with good results? Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

NRA Patron Member
U.S. Navy Veteran 1969-1973
Sons of the American Revolution
Sons of Confederate Veterans
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I've simply removed them, 'course that really ain't that simple.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thought about that, but it didn't look simple and I am a simple soul. I really don't want to tear them up, nice wood and I have owned them for 30+ years.

NRA Patron Member
U.S. Navy Veteran 1969-1973
Sons of the American Revolution
Sons of Confederate Veterans
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i'll bite. WW how did you do it in short?

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is just a guess but several light coats of an automotive spray lacquer might do it, rubbing each one down between coats.

An intense aniline dye brushed onto the white spacer might pre-darken it enough that few spray coats would be needed. I had a similar problem with a re-stocked 6.5x54 M-S carbine that some presumably very recoil-sensitive previous owner had put a fairly thick white-line recoil pad on, having first cut the stock down to preserve the length of pull, of course, so replacing it with a thin pad wasn't an option. I removed the pad and soaked it in some black RIT fabric dye. It didn't turn the spacer totally black, but it is now far less obvious.

Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hesitate to post this, because it is quite a redneck (yes, we have them here in Sweden) fix... but here goes!

A friend used a black magic marker (it said "pigment type, Xylene free" on it) to hide the white spacers on a 1960's Sako that had the now out of fashion "Weatherby look".

It actually worked very well!

It does rub off very slowly with use (months!), but takes only a minute to renew.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hesitate to post this, because it is quite a redneck (yes, we have them here in Sweden) fix... but here goes!
John

Swedish Renecks???!! Oof Dah!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i'll bite. WW how did you do it in short?

woofer

VERY careful use of a saw, drill, dowel pins and epoxy on the forend tip.

A fit up and install of a checkered metal grip cap to replace the elcheapo plastic one that was also very carefully sawn off...

IIRC, I used a brand new dovetail saw.

Then a very simple finish strip and re-oil as well as install a non white line Pachmayr Competitor,on my first attempt at it a few moons ago..........

"Before" photo...
[Linked Image]

"After"...the white lines disappeared and the metal turned Plumb Brown...
[Linked Image]

"Latest Version" newly oiled, newly barreled/chambered and Fit-4-Dutied.......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 3,474 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,949
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.