Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
anyone have one like this? looks interesting i hope it shoots well. the front swivel has me wonderin'
thanks chris
http://www.auctionarms.com:80/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7815336

Last edited by ctw; 01/23/07.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's a Savage .22 target rifle, one of the later versions from the late '30s with the faster action. It will shoot if it hasn't been abused. Savage test fired them at the factory, and they didn't leave until they would shoot.

This one is missing the receiver sight, a $100 item, but has a scope mount. Squirrels beware!

An old dog don't run no trails, an old dog don't flush no quails, but he can still bury a bone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My serial number is a little higher. It only has three holes in the rear and two in the middle. Also, mine does not have the rail(?) in the bottom of the forearm. Sould be a great shooter if the barrel crown is good. Not a common version of the 19 and not pictured in any of the Savage catalogs, that I remember.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
do you think this rifle would be able to letter? are there factory records.
she looks neet i will let you guys know when i pick her up.
thanks chris

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think these are late 30's-early 40's. I doubt that there are records for this version but not positive.

Rick...

IC B2

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
hi rick
picked her up today bore and crown are perfect! have you had yours out of the wood? the bbl channel on this rifle was hand carved also wondering if yours has lead in the but stock this one has two sets of lead filled holes that look factory the rail in the front does not look factory but does not bother me. i really need a set of modern rings to fit the target blocks does anyone know if they were made?? the trigger is great i know this will be my new carry rifle. wondering if this rifle will shoot in the class of the win 52? i'm sure savage made them for a reason. this rifle also lacks a few marks that are common the but plate is plain and the mag is not stamped both are original though. looking forward to responses i am very excited about this 22 and need to get her up and shootin again.
thanks chris

Last edited by ctw; 01/26/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it D&T'ed on the left side?

The lead sounds like something a target shooter would do to balance his rifle.

I don't think there is any cheap way to use those target blocks other than buying a long tube target scope.

Rick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the front swivel has me wonderin'

The adjustable front swivel would be used by a target shooter to adjust the length, and thus the fit and tension, of his shooting sling.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
yes it has the holes for the side mount but i have never seen one of them in 1". a steel 1" side mount would work perfect. so your rifle does not have lead in the stock? the target block are close enough together with slight offset rings i could use a modern scope.
thanks chris

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No lead in my stock. Whoever added the rail probably added the weight in the butt.

I don't know if anyone is making 1" rings that would mount to a target block. Since the barrel and action is all one piece you coud have a one piece tip-off base made that would use the target block holes and mount what ever scope you want. Or you might find two piece Weaver mounts with the correct hole spacing.

Rick...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is some info that might help in adapting target block holes to use Weaver rings: web page

Rick...

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
well
i finally had a day off a trip to the local shop and 30 dollars later i mounted a cheap simmons. the weaver bases are ok with me but i still need to fine tune to mount the scope i want. anyway two full mags 3 shots to get me on paper, seven shots off the bench (cold hinder and hands) into a 50 cent piece with poor light and optics i was happy with this start. the two extra holes helped me out.
thanks chris

Attached Images
6993-MVC-013S.JPG (39.16 KB, 88 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chris,

Were you shooting in those conditions, Chris? Damn tough. Nice rifle.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
the northern lower of michigan. went searching for a better mount set up today and found some intersting stuff but no better for the 19 than i have.
longbeardking posted on a boone scope repair a bit back (wondering if you sealed the scope after?and what with?)i have a four power and a 99 mount the scope needs surgery.
thanks chris
in the second pict what are these rings??

Attached Images
6998-MVC-014S.JPG (37.81 KB, 80 downloads)
6999-MVC-015S.JPG (39.49 KB, 55 downloads)

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They look like Buehler rings. They pop up on eBay from time to time and so do the mounts that they go to.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Rings are Buehler

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is only one flat side on the front ring base so they only fit a Buehler base. I have not tried it but I think you can grind the other flat so it will work with Redfield, etc.

Correct???

Rick...

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
what about the boone scope repair? how would you guys reseal it?
thanks chris

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
well here is something i have been thinking about for a while wondering what you savage 22 guys think? i decided to clean the gun vault this am (still have rifles everywhere) found these parts and decided to take a few and put them together i think the rear base is to high will hve to find another mount to butcher with the correct hole space and a lower profile. awhile back one of the members here was asking about a clip for an early 19 nra in my cleaning i found a few and listed them on ebay along with a bunch of stuff. (just purchased a custom flintlock and need to pay for her) wondering what you guys think of the 23aa mount idea. thanks chris

Attached Images
7038-MVC-012S.JPG (39.14 KB, 101 downloads)
7039-MVC-013S.JPG (39.12 KB, 117 downloads)

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like your ingenuity on the mount. Should be very effective if you get the elevation lined up.

I've done several things like that on the 99s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.