Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Looks like I'm going to have to take up golf. Not only does this deer hunting stuff seem overly complex but now I have to give up meat during deer season.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Looks like I'm going to have to take up golf. Not only does this deer hunting stuff seem overly complex but now I have to give up meat during deer season.

Nope, just hunt the wind. Take a look at vintage deer camp photos, you will see no camo, no scent-lock, pipes, cigars, woodsmoke, beer, gas lanterns, and all sorts of smelly things (including the men. Most bathed seldom). You will also see a dozen bucks and does hanging in the background. Hunt the wind.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Check the backgrounds on Pa vintage Deer pics and most times you can't find a tall tree. They didn't have woods, they had never ending mountains of regenerating forest and perfect Deer habitat and more Deer than they knew what to do with. Fires were pretty much allowed to run their course. I knew some of those boys and their Deer hunting was the Golden Age of Deer hunting in Pa. it was much different than our hunting today. You can't compare the two. Hunting the wind wasn't the reason for their success. An excess of Deer played a bigger part.

Last edited by battue; 07/10/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Check the backgrounds on Pa vintage Deer picks and most times you can't find a tall tree. They didn't have woods, they had never ending mountains of regenerating forest and perfect Deer habitat and more Deer than they knew what to do with. Fires were pretty much allowed to run their course. I knew some of those boys and their Deer hunting was the Golden Age of Deer hunting in Pa. it was much different than our hunting today. You can't compare the two. Hunting the wind wasn't the reason for their success. An excess of Deer played a bigger part.

You're right, you can't. Deer were nearly hunted to extinction in some parts. Market hunting was a big reason and no seasons. There are more deer here now, than when Columbus landed!

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm not referencing the entire U.S. However, if you think there are more Deer in the Pa mountains of today than there were in the 1920's-1950's, you probably also believe in global warming. Because you believe everything you read.

Ever wonder why the Pa game pole pics of today rarely equal the ones of the 20-50's. You need to wonder a little more.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm not referencing the entire U.S. However, if you think there are more Deer in the Pa mountains of today than there were in the 1920's-1950's, you probably also believe in global warming. Because you believe everything you read.

Ever wonder why the Pa game pole pics of today rarely equal the ones of the 20-50's. You need to wonder a little more.

Hunted Pike,Wayne ,Potter and Tioga counties in the 70's and 80's sounded like a battlezone, there were a ton of deer everywhere. My friend who lives near State College experienced the same thing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
This all sounds strange to me. I've never had deer spook from my scent & had them walk within feet of me.

Deer are really tame at the zoo. I think it's those quarter machines full of corn or pellets that helps them to become tame.

I kid. If you've never had one spook from your scent, you're either extremely lucky or know how to play the wind like a mo fo!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Dang it anyway!

I had a boss that used to hunt Idaho with some resident guys. He told me about the crazy azz diets these guys would go on a couple of months prior to hunting season all in the name of scent control. I can't remember what they ate but it was some weird s hit!

To the OP:

Knee high rubber boots sprayed down with Scent Killer has worked for me.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Hunted Pike,Wayne ,Potter and Tioga counties in the 70's and 80's sounded like a battlezone, there were a ton of deer everywhere. My friend who lives near State College experienced the same thing.

And there were more in the 50-60's. Today there isn't 1/100 of those years past. In the 60's we would see 100 plus per day in Warren and Forest. 100 and you may see a 3inch spike or a few small forks. Spotting at night you quit counting. There were too many for the habitat. Of course they were few and far between below I80.

Grouse were like ticks today. The old Boys talked about 40-50 flushes per day just walking down the trails. No need to bust into the thick stuff. Then again if you believe yesterday was the same as your today, you never will get it. The world never cooled and warmed in the past, it's all about today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kellory

Take a look at vintage deer camp photos, you will see no camo, no scent-lock, pipes, cigars, woodsmoke, beer, gas lanterns, and all sorts of smelly things (including the men. Most bathed seldom). You will also see a dozen bucks and does hanging in the background. Hunt the wind.

If you like those old deer camp photos, here is a collection.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsoci...e-gallery-page/vintage-pics?page_id=2661

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bcp

Take a look at vintage deer camp photos, you will see no camo, no scent-lock, pipes, cigars, woodsmoke, beer, gas lanterns, and all sorts of smelly things (including the men. Most bathed seldom). You will also see a dozen bucks and does hanging in the background. Hunt the wind.

If you like those old deer camp photos, here is a collection.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsoci...e-gallery-page/vintage-pics?page_id=2661

Bruce

Very cool, thank you. Been a while since I saw a vintage quad-runner like that..... wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used a zip line to get to a stand. If you intend to hunt this spot long term, you might think about setting one up.

If i thought I needed a zip line to hunt a spot, I think I'd find another spot😊

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Arns9
I've used a zip line to get to a stand. If you intend to hunt this spot long term, you might think about setting one up.

If i thought I needed a zip line to hunt a spot, I think I'd find another spot😊

It was a unique situation. I set it up in summer for a winter hunt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen mixed reactions to deer crossing my trail from none to bolting and snorting. Some of the best hunters I have seen are the Kalahari Bushman many have never had a bath in their life. When Bow hunting I was more conscious of scent than for rifle hunting. I have used Fox pee, skunk, cedar, deep woods off, sage and doe scents with differing results. Campfire smoke seems to work well and is universal.I have also intentionally stepped on every cow pie I run across and done the same thing soaking my boots in an Elk wallow to mask scent. This makes you real popular in the truck later.

One hunter I read about was trying for a big buck that only would be seen off season. Apparently a vehicle would spook it so the hunter road a mountain bike in one day and got the deer. Might be worth trying and with a cart would be a great way to get a big deer out especially if down hill.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Farm tractor works too.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have 600 acres in Woodville MS, hunting pressure is our biggest problem. It took us years to learn this. NOISE is bad for our property. We stopped using 4 wheelers during deer season, except to remove a dead deer that is deep in the woods. We bought a old quiet 4 wheel drive truck and everyone gets put out via the truck. It has made a huge difference. You keep making constant noise on our place AND you will see/kill small young bucks only BTDT.

As for scent, I agree with Skane, I have used all kinds of scents and the last 12 years I just hunt as clean as I can. That includes scent control at the camp, my hunting gear and clothes don't stay in the camp with all the food smells etc...

Also I use knee high Rubber boots only, and for cold weather I put on boot blankets.

And last, ALWAYS hunt the wind, never get in a stand with a bad wind and funk up the area.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You're always going to alert some deer while moving through the woods. I would think that on public ground, the movement of other hunters would be more of a factor than the stink you make going in. Unless the deer are taking the same path to your spot you do, I don't see a problem. It also occurs to me that a sweaty guy hiking half-nekked is going to lay down more stink than if he was covered up a bit.

Like somebody said, only hunt your spot on a good wind, and try very hard not to alert any deer with sound or sight while you're there. Hunting in the rain, when possible, would be a good strategy too.

During hunting season, deer encounter hunter scent all the time. It might put them on alert, but they don't go running off in a panic every time they run across a spot where somebody peed, or leaned on a tree. If they did, they'd die from nervous exhaustion. Unless your area is a very small one, with "safe zones" nearby the deer can flee to for the duration, the deer will deal with hunter pressure by lying low and going nocturnal. When that happens, it's the movement of other hunters that's going to run something past your stand, and they'll likely be moving quickly, so you've got to stay alert and be ready to shoot.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You're always going to alert some deer while moving through the woods..

Good post Pappy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You know when I was young and inexperienced I used to worry about all this crap. Either move the stand or walk to it and live with the situation. However if there is a cattle farm near where you hunt? I have been told if you rub your body with cow pie the deer won't know your there

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.