-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will often check YouTube before a project, to see how other folks have solved the same problem. By comparing methods, you often see where mistakes are made, or better methods found.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by hookeye
On that same kinda thing............notice how some guys hold a pencil?
There may be some correlation between that and other mechanical skills (or lack of them).

I remember girls holding their pencils the same way back in elementary school.

I dont know about that, but I never did learn how to hold a fork properly.

I know how to, just dont. By the way, if you never learned the right way, how do you know you're doing it wrong?

Watching people on TV and others around my table.

I dont use a knife, so I grip a fork in such a manner to get enough torque out of it to cut with.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jnyork
Well, I have changed many a tire in my 76 years, but I will confess having nothing but trouble with a large new Chevy Suburban when I stopped to help an older lady with a flat. Struggled for half an hour trying to crank down the spare, couldn't hit the hole with the crank, couldn't even SEE the hole. Finally a stout young guy stopped and helped us out, he had one of the ultrabright new flashlites that allowed us to get the crank in where it belonged. Vehicle was stopped on the gravel on a sharp grade, made things interesting trying to jack it up. Neither one of us would have got the job done without reading the directions in the owners manual, tools were hidden in some very hard to find nooks and crannies.

I will admit that the jacks and lug wrenches that are in modern cars ( if you get one as most cars are w/o spares) are evidently designed by millennial engineers that have no idea what they are for. You get some 1/2 azzed folding handle about 10" long that is suppose to serve as both jack handle and lug wrench. The shallow socket end fits the lugs so loosely that they just want to slip off or round the lugs. The scissor jack is a completely useless piece of crap that takes 20 minutes to get the vehicle off he ground and the crank is setup so you get a 3/4 turn and then have to take it off and reposition it for ground clearance. Last time I used one if the engineer that designed that thing had been within reach the proctologist would still be looking for that lug wrench . The most pathetic piece of design engineering I've seen in a long time.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, I have changed many a tire in my 76 years, but I will confess having nothing but trouble with a large new Chevy Suburban when I stopped to help an older lady with a flat. Struggled for half an hour trying to crank down the spare, couldn't hit the hole with the crank, couldn't even SEE the hole. Finally a stout young guy stopped and helped us out, he had one of the ultrabright new flashlites that allowed us to get the crank in where it belonged. Vehicle was stopped on the gravel on a sharp grade, made things interesting trying to jack it up. Neither one of us would have got the job done without reading the directions in the owners manual, tools were hidden in some very hard to find nooks and crannies.

On my last truck, a '99 GMC 1500, there was a recall notice for the spare tire cranking rod used to lower the spare. Turns out that the tube or hole was too crooked for the supplied rods to consistently work. The recall notice said to go outside and try the originally supplied tools to see if it could be done before requesting the new recall rod. I didn't even bother messing with it and marked in the response to send the new rod. No way I was going to chance maybe getting lucky and making it work once, then have to mess with it for an hour on the next try. It was a stiff but flexible rod that could flex enough to make it work.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Being a farmer/rancher type, and being broke and cheap all the time, I save a lot of money doing my own mechanic work. Figure it comes out to 50,000 a year in labor costs saved.

700 bucks for a break job is absurd. Good for him.

Would some town kid need to be as handy as me? I dont see why he would need to be.

He better not be hiring the lawn mowed though or the plumbing fixed for that matter.

I would imagine you couldn't afford the down time of any of your equipment. How do you put a dollar cost on that?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Lots of farmers cant turn a wrench to save themselves. Hire mechanics at 120 bucks an hour.

I mechanic because I am really cheap!

But yes, a week of down time can wreck your whole year.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bangeye

I will admit that the jacks and lug wrenches that are in modern cars ( if you get one as most cars are w/o spares) are evidently designed by millennial engineers that have no idea what they are for. You get some 1/2 azzed folding handle about 10" long that is suppose to serve as both jack handle and lug wrench. The shallow socket end fits the lugs so loosely that they just want to slip off or round the lugs. The scissor jack is a completely useless piece of crap that takes 20 minutes to get the vehicle off he ground and the crank is setup so you get a 3/4 turn and then have to take it off and reposition it for ground clearance. Last time I used one if the engineer that designed that thing had been within reach the proctologist would still be looking for that lug wrench . The most pathetic piece of design engineering I've seen in a long time.

If I never have to change another tyre I will be well pleased as it seems that every one I have changed to now has been whilst bogged to the arse in mud, or I am sitting in the middle of a paddock full of box-thorn with both of my spares on already.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a choice to make today.

Kids car sounds like it has a fuel filter issue. It's on top of the gas tank so we'd have to drop the tank some. This is the kid that needs a heart/lung transplant so I'm doing all the work. It's pushing 100 degrees and the only place we have to work on it is out on the concrete driveway. He leaves tomorrow for Stanford medical center for his first operation towards getting him strong enough to survive the hopefully upcoming transplant. He wants to work on his car today so it's running when he gets back. I want to take it and drop it off at the mechanics because I'm fricken tired from working my azz off all week in 100 degree weather. In fact, I'm tired from working like a dog for 30 years.

Does not wanting to deal with it make me a bad step-dad?

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our kids would think us just as pathetic if they heard all the bellyaching about losing photobucket and needing to learn a new format. The epitome of lazy! All adults want to do is sit in their easy chair with the massager going and the neck support forward and mindlessly plug the same things in over and over! Won't even make the effort to learn a new program, while they sit there!!

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Take it to the mechanic if you want. Sheesh....free country.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That was all tongue in cheek, I'm rummy I'm so beat up. The boys car is going to the mechanics with no apologies. My point is we do the best we can, pick and choose our battles, (and that is a big one), and hope they pay attention enough to learn from us.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/08/17.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

That was all tongue in cheek, I'm rummy I'm so beat up. The boys car is going to the mechanics with no apologies. My point is we do the best we can, pick and choose our battles, (and that is a big one), and hope they pay attention enough to learn from us.

All about you again huh ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, thank you for noticing.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I notice you never answered the question about disclosing Flave's real name publicly, and notice you're still here anyway...you should have been banned
[

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

[b][size:11pt][color:#660000]I notice
[

Oh good, so you're not a COMPLETE moron. That's a relief.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still never denied it, you're a POS...it's been posted already, and you still come here ? wow, loser

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm mechanically inept myself, oh I can do the easy things, change starter, front end parts, tie rods, ball joints that sorta stuff and have had my boys help me do some of it when I'd have preferred to take it to a mechanic, but it's stuff my boys need to know how to do.

the oldest is semi competent, the younger one reminds me of me at that age, clueless. Neither my grandad who I spent the most time or my dad who I spent less time with were mechanical either.

my SIL is a top notch mechanic, knew my girl was smarter than her momma

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 338reddog, 375sunrise, 35, 35WhelenNut, 264mag, 16 invisible), 961 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,894
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.