Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
If a gentleman decides he needs to a lot of hunting to have a happy life, which state would be best? I'm mainly talking medium and big game, but I also love some good upland bird hunting. A place where a resident can get a tag for something every year. I'm a rifle Hunter if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If money is no object, there are more animals to shoot in Texas, year 'round than everywhere else put together. If you're talking about the regular native big game animals, I'd say Alaska or Montana.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm thinking native animals, I could go down to Texas for an exotic hunt anyway.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm thinking native animals, I could go down to Texas for an exotic hunt anyway.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JackVliet: The answer to your inquiry is Montana (list to follow):
Antelope
Buffalo
Whitetailed Deer
Mule Deer
Elk
Black Bear
Grizzly Bear (soon to be)
Moose
Bighorn Sheep
Cougar
Wolf
unlimited Waterfowl Hunting including not just a myriad of Duck and Goose species but Swans and Sand Hill Cranes also
Wild Turkey
Pheasant
Hungarian Partridge
Sharptails galore
Ruffed Grouse
Sage Grouse
Blue Grouse
in addition to the above there are MANY species of Varmints and predators to Hunt year round!
GO BIG SKY!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
That is a huge variety, montana really sounds great. That along with Idaho and Wyoming seem to be at the top of my list

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
How is public land access?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JackVliet
How is public land access?
For that, Idaho is hard to beat. More than 60% of ID is public, over 51,000 square miles. Plus, ID has an unusual trespass law. There are many tracts of private rangeland mixed in with public land. If the private land isn't irrigated or cultivated, it must be posted or hunting is allowed without permission.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wyoming and Idaho's hunting is off the charts! I would choose either of those. whistle

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
South Dakota seems like it'd be hard to beat IMHO. Rapid & Hill Cities are gorgeous and darn close to the Wyoming border which is pretty awesome too.

Insane bird hunting, good reservoir fishing, and pretty awesome deer & elk hunting.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm going to need to visit each of these states and see what suits me best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, WY if your focus is big game. Though in the upland birds and I'd give the overall nod to Idaho. MT would be in the running as well, but some of the elk management stuff there makes me think it's not what it was a decade ago...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Montana sucks. Don't come here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely California!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cracks me up... AK has more of everything and everything can be hunted almost every year. How many from MT have killed big bull moose the last two years and then drew a fancy bull tag for this coming season? How about caribou seasons for multiple bulls each year? Elk, deer, mountain goat with OTC tags? Sheep, too?

Brown bears with a two per year limit... black bears at three per year most places.

Seven grouse species with ridiculously liberal seasons... ducks and geese.... sandhills... swans...

Yup, head to TX!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a guy is perfectly content hunting whitetails and pigs, some of the southern states have virtually unlimited opportunity...but the western states have a more variety of critters.

As far as Alaska...I know a fair number of folks who lived up there for several years, but ended up moving back to the western continental US for various reasons...including the hunting. If you're specifically after big antlers and bears, then yes....Alaska is the place to be but other states have their own virtues, including an unlimited number of deer one can kill in a season...you couldn't pay me enough to live in the deep south, but in some areas down there hunters can kill as many deer and hogs as they want. It's all dependent upon what a guy wants.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'd really like elk, mule deer, with the possibility of goat and bighorn. Alaska is great but I think it's more of a move than I would like. Cost of living is another factor. I do not like the heat either so that rules out southern states.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Texas is totally a POS for hunting don't even think about coming down here. If you wanted to bust a few diseased Jack Rabbits that could be done.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd really like elk, mule deer, with the possibility of goat and bighorn. Alaska is great but I think it's more of a move than I would like. Cost of living is another factor. I do not like the heat either so that rules out southern states.

Jack---Colorado is your state. I've drawn 3 bighorn ram tags & 1 mtn goat. Elk & mule deer every year. Still waiting on a moose tag. Antelope can also be had. FYI---all hunts are DIY on public land.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Deleware

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, anothergun, 11 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.