Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
While I'm sure they are indeed an excellent pack, do you think they represent a good value? Looking at a pack and when its all said and done im pushing 700.00. Currently running a few different Eberlestock packs and just curious if the Exo packs are 400.00+ better. Looking at getting a lighter pack and MR, Exo, SG and Kifaru were on the short list but Im leaning heavily towards the Exo.

Thoughts or opinions?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried one out last summer. I liked the layout and quality seemed okay (good but a little less so than the MR and Kifaru) but it just didn't fit as well as the MR I ended up running last fall. I now have a Kifaru and am pretty happy with the setup. I don't know if the Kifaru fits better or what but it is as comfortable or more so than the MR.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent a bunch of time fixing an Exo that one of my sheep clients brought on a hunt 2 years ago. Straps were falling off, buckles coming undone, etc... I'd not run one myself and would save money for something better.

Tanner

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't enjoy the same time on the mountain as Tanner but I like everything about my EXO. I much prefer it to the Mystery Ranch packs I tried. I have a 2014 or 2015 model 3500 that I have gotten worn in (half the battle). It is very comfortable, nice layout and it carries reasonable weight very well when properly sized and adjusted. I like it better than a Kifaru late season I owned.

I have not tried a newer kifaru frame but I do own a kifaru day pack and it is built like a tank and I like it a lot. That said, I have never had a problem with my EXO in any way.

Matter of personal preference. Some run the EXO bags on Kifaru frames...

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Tanner
I spent a bunch of time fixing an Exo that one of my sheep clients brought on a hunt 2 years ago. Straps were falling off, buckles coming undone, etc... I'd not run one myself and would save money for something better.

Tanner

Was that the only Exo pack you've encountered or have you encountered with their packs on moire than one occasion? I really like the newest version layout and design. Is there a similar pack or packs you would recommend?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a used package with the K2 frame for sale on Rokslide right now if you're interested.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For the $$$, go Kifaru, and yes, they are 400 dollars better than an eberlstock.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a 2015 model last year, and sold it. I really wanted to like the pack, but ... my thoughts from ~ six-eight months with one:

Solid pack, and a good design for my needs. I will say that the 3500 could be collapsed down to nothing, and not be flopping around while empty.

However, the company has changed the frame design three times in three years that I am tracking, and that was a challenge to figure out what I needed if I wanted to add to the base frame and pack.

A buddy bought a 2016 model, and his frame broke. They were good about fixing it, but could have been a real problem in the hunting season.

We both carried 30-45 pounds in the pack pre-season, and about 20 during the hunt.

My recovery after the hunt was the longest I've ever had from a pack, and I trained with it for several months prior to the hunt.

In the end, the post-hunt back pain, the lack of timely response to questions, and the investment drove me to look elsewhere for a pack.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AH what pack did you switch to?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by warpig602
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Was that the only Exo pack you've encountered or have you encountered with their packs on moire than one occasion? I really like the newest version layout and design. Is there a similar pack or packs you would recommend?

That's a good question, as it does appear they've made some changes to their packs since then. That is the only one I've encountered. I'd recommend a Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or even one of the newer Mystery Ranches over them.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not sure what "all is said and done" means but I didn't spend $700 on my Exo 3500, of course it's a a few years old. Be sure to check for used high end packs in the classifieds here and Rokslide. There seems to be a lot of folks who upgrade annually or just want the latest model.

The Exo has worked well for my elk hunting but like boots, everyone is different. Also, I'm no guide or outfitter, just a flat lander who hits the elk woods for about 10-20 days per year.

For reference I have used multiple Kifaru packs in the past but my problem with them is/was excessively strappy bags when compressed into daypack mode. I got tired (and poor) adding pockets and pouches to get any organization of my gear with the Clampett method, which also adds weight. I did not like shooting my bow with the duplex frame regardless of the bag. It felt board-like on my back when trying to get proper shooting form with my longbow or compound. Things may have changed with newer Kifaru frames. The Kifaru packs are all very rugged, well built and should last a lifetime but at my age that's probably not a real challenge to any pack maker. (I still use an older Kifaru Scout for local deer hunting and is terrific for shooting a bow. My only MR pack is used as an airline carry on bag)

My Exo out of the box with one internal mesh pocket has good organization for me as a daypack or an extended trip. I shoot my bow better with the Exo, in fact I don't even think about the frame when drawing the bow.

I have hauled elk with both and Kifaru/duplex probably has the edge although I do not even come close to 80-100 lb loads and any elk hauling is always better than no elk hauling. Both systems were easy to get the meat loaded up close to my back. Meat hauling has not been a top priority in my pack selection because while I usually locate one elk stupid enough for me to kill, I have found that meat packing is a very small percentage of the time spent on the hunt. As long as I can get the elk to the truck in reasonable comfort I'm happy. I'm more concerned with the function of the pack during the daily grind of the hunt.

If you are looking at Exo, Kifaru, MR and SG I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. Just finding out what you like can get expensive.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 805

I'm currently playing with a Kuiu Icon large/tall frame, but too soon to tell if I like really it or not. I'm behind on training this year, and having to hustle to catch up.

I've been happy with the Kuiu ability to swap the pack off of the frame. The waist belt is similar to the Exo design, and "locks" when you adjust it. One of my biggest gripes with most packs is the need to re-cinch waist every quarter-half mile.

I've had good results with the Eberlstock products, I just spent a four-day weekend in the Sawtooth area of Idaho with a Little Brother day pack that was comfortable. My chief complaint on the Eberlstock pack line in the larger models is physical weight, they are heavy when empty, but they have carried well for me loaded. I used the Tailhook for a couple years as a day pack, but again, heavy when empty, and over-built bulky materials that took interior space away from carrying capacity.

However, I agreed with the comments above, they are a medium duty pack IMHO, and not as efficient as some of the other upper end packs listed in this thread.

I have used a Tenzig 6500 and a MR Grizzly as training pack over the past few years, the Tenzig more than others. The Tenzig has carried 30-45 pounds from Day One, and has not ripped, torn, sagged or really caused my any issues. It does not cinch down well when lightly loaded, and has some slop when moving. The waist belt slips, and that has kept it from being more than a trainer for me.

LA brings up a good point I missed - the Exo WAS very easy to shoot a bow with, and I could turn, bend, and kneel with little effort. The frame length of the Exo came up behind my head, which I also did not like as much.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/13/17.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I had a 2015 model last year, and sold it. I really wanted to like the pack, but ... my thoughts from ~ six-eight months with one:

Solid pack, and a good design for my needs. I will say that the 3500 could be collapsed down to nothing, and not be flopping around while empty.

However, the company has changed the frame design three times in three years that I am tracking, and that was a challenge to figure out what I needed if I wanted to add to the base frame and pack.

A buddy bought a 2016 model, and his frame broke. They were good about fixing it, but could have been a real problem in the hunting season.

We both carried 30-45 pounds in the pack pre-season, and about 20 during the hunt.

My recovery after the hunt was the longest I've ever had from a pack, and I trained with it for several months prior to the hunt.

In the end, the post-hunt back pain, the lack of timely response to questions, and the investment drove me to look elsewhere for a pack.

Thanks for the feedback. I know youve used quite a few differnt packs over the year.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by LostArra
I'm not sure what "all is said and done" means but I didn't spend $700 on my Exo 3500, of course it's a a few years old. Be sure to check for used high end packs in the classifieds here and Rokslide. There seems to be a lot of folks who upgrade annually or just want the latest model.

The Exo has worked well for my elk hunting but like boots, everyone is different. Also, I'm no guide or outfitter, just a flat lander who hits the elk woods for about 10-20 days per year.

For reference I have used multiple Kifaru packs in the past but my problem with them is/was excessively strappy bags when compressed into daypack mode. I got tired (and poor) adding pockets and pouches to get any organization of my gear with the Clampett method, which also adds weight. I did not like shooting my bow with the duplex frame regardless of the bag. It felt board-like on my back when trying to get proper shooting form with my longbow or compound. Things may have changed with newer Kifaru frames. The Kifaru packs are all very rugged, well built and should last a lifetime but at my age that's probably not a real challenge to any pack maker. (I still use an older Kifaru Scout for local deer hunting and is terrific for shooting a bow. My only MR pack is used as an airline carry on bag)

My Exo out of the box with one internal mesh pocket has good organization for me as a daypack or an extended trip. I shoot my bow better with the Exo, in fact I don't even think about the frame when drawing the bow.

I have hauled elk with both and Kifaru/duplex probably has the edge although I do not even come close to 80-100 lb loads and any elk hauling is always better than no elk hauling. Both systems were easy to get the meat loaded up close to my back. Meat hauling has not been a top priority in my pack selection because while I usually locate one elk stupid enough for me to kill, I have found that meat packing is a very small percentage of the time spent on the hunt. As long as I can get the elk to the truck in reasonable comfort I'm happy. I'm more concerned with the function of the pack during the daily grind of the hunt.

If you are looking at Exo, Kifaru, MR and SG I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. Just finding out what you like can get expensive.

After factoring the added accessories I wanted. I liked the Exo for the weight, pockets/oraganization and the camo pattern(was going to go with Cipher) that deal has now passed and afforded me more time to look at other packs. I still think the Exo has th e best layout but Ive also started to really consider the Kifaru Nomad 2. Coupled with a Native I think it would make a versatile pack. My biggest gripe with Eberlestockbags was the weight. As AH has mentioned we're looking at 9+ lbs bare. I have nothing to compare it to as far as load hauling. I dont mountian hunt a lot, once a year or every other year depending on how the draw goes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't sell the Seek Outside packs short. I have owned several Kifaru, Stone Glacier, MR, Kuiu, and Exo packs. I have sold them all except my Seek Outside. Carries weight the best of all of them for me and my body type. I'm 6'1" 180 with a 33-34" waist and normal back profile. The Seek Outside has been the lightest as well. I like the Exo pack best for layout and organization but it didn't carry as well for me with 80+ pounds. There are a few used ones for sale at an excellent price in the classifieds and on Rokslide.

Lee

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got back from 9 days in the Bob Marshall running an EXO 3500 and am very pleased with how it handled and fit. This was my first trip with the pack. After floating the Southfork in packrafts we had to pack our gear and the rafts out to the trail and my pack was running 70+ at that point and I have to say that it was the most comfortable 70lb load I've ever had on my back. I'll be selling my MR after this trip.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by warpig602
While I'm sure they are indeed an excellent pack, do you think they represent a good value? Looking at a pack and when its all said and done im pushing 700.00. Currently running a few different Eberlestock packs and just curious if the Exo packs are 400.00+ better. Looking at getting a lighter pack and MR, Exo, SG and Kifaru were on the short list but Im leaning heavily towards the Exo.

Thoughts or opinions?

We (work) spent the last year or so testing and using most of the major pack brands- Kifaru, MR, Seek Outside, Stone Glacier, Hill People Gear, etc. We did not use any Exo packs as they chose not to participate. The general thoughts of the group after hundreds of miles with each pack suitable for 5+ days were-

Kifaru AMR-

Pros-
Good suspension
Relatively easy to fit
Carried heavy loads well

Cons-
Relatively heavy
Lots of straps
No sleeping bag compartment

Kifaru DT1-

Pros-
Good suspension
Carried large heavy loads well
Relatively easy to fit

Cons-
Relatively heavy
Lots of straps
No side water bottle pockets

MR Nice 6500 and Recce ruck-

Pros-
Carried loads well though not as comfortable as others for some people
Best pocket layout of all packs.

Cons-

Extremely heavy

SO Revolution-

Pros-
Most comfortable pack tested
Belt locked in really well
Lightest pack tested

Cons-
Lack of pockets
Lots of straps with kind of a chinky way they attach

Stone Glacier R3 w/lid-

Pros-
Extremely comfortable
Good pocket layout
Easy to use load shelf
Overall highest rated pack

Cons-
Requires use of load shelf for use more than 3 days

Hill People Gear QUI-YA:

Pros-
Comfortable suspension
Good belt

Cons-
Longest time to fit to each person
Lack of pockets

In the end, the Stone Glacier R3 and Kifaru DT1 were the top picks. That isn't to say that the others were "bad", it's just one groups thoughts carrying each for a bunch of miles with heavy weight. I hunted all last year with the DT1, and will be using the R3 and Sky 5900 this year. For a pure mountain hunting pack, if Seek Outside would offer a pack with usable pockets and layout, it would be what I would choose (though the SG Sky 5900 is showing promise). If one likes spartan pack layouts, it's a great choice.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 805

I'm currently playing with a Kuiu Icon large/tall frame, but too soon to tell if I like really it or not. I'm behind on training this year, and having to hustle to catch up.

I've been happy with the Kuiu ability to swap the pack off of the frame. The waist belt is similar to the Exo design, and "locks" when you adjust it. One of my biggest gripes with most packs is the need to re-cinch waist every quarter-half mile.

I've had good results with the Eberlstock products, I just spent a four-day weekend in the Sawtooth area of Idaho with a Little Brother day pack that was comfortable. My chief complaint on the Eberlstock pack line in the larger models is physical weight, they are heavy when empty, but they have carried well for me loaded. I used the Tailhook for a couple years as a day pack, but again, heavy when empty, and over-built bulky materials that took interior space away from carrying capacity.

However, I agreed with the comments above, they are a medium duty pack IMHO, and not as efficient as some of the other upper end packs listed in this thread.

I have used a Tenzig 6500 and a MR Grizzly as training pack over the past few years, the Tenzig more than others. The Tenzig has carried 30-45 pounds from Day One, and has not ripped, torn, sagged or really caused my any issues. It does not cinch down well when lightly loaded, and has some slop when moving. The waist belt slips, and that has kept it from being more than a trainer for me.

LA brings up a good point I missed - the Exo WAS very easy to shoot a bow with, and I could turn, bend, and kneel with little effort. The frame length of the Exo came up behind my head, which I also did not like as much.

AH64guy, let me know if you want to test drive a Kifaru Reckoning. I've been wearing it up and down Bull Run mtn with a loads varying from 60-80lbs getting ready for this fall. I also have a Seek Outside which is nice.

Last edited by prm; 07/27/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by 805

AH64guy, let me know if you want to test drive a Kifaru Reckoning. I've been wearing it up and down Bull Run mtn with a loads varying from 60-80lbs getting ready for this fall. I also have a Seek Outside which is nice.

Thanks,

Being a gear junkie, I'd probably take you up on the offer. The Reckoning may be a bit more in size than I need, though.

I've got about 50 miles under the Kuiu, it's been good, limited back pain, and has seemed to ride where I put it from start to finish of a hike. I have the training weight in a 1800 Icon bag, and held against the CF frame in their version of a load sling.

The Icon bag does "squeak/groan" against the pack frame a small amount, not an issue for rifle hunting IMHO, but may be a factor for archery. I'm carrying the bag in a different manner than designed, so I may inducing the problem myself.

The waist belt has been great on staying locked, it doesn't slip nearly as bad as I had found with Tenzig and Eberlstock.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/31/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.