K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RIO7
Ed, If ya ain't cheating ya ain't try' in. Rio7

Remember sometimes you need a big hammer and someone to hold up the side of
A USFS fire ring to get a rifle sighted in!!! 😉😂

Edit! There were several other campfire members present!! You know who you are! 😂

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/15/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A gun vise is the only way to go. Sandbags are next best, but shoulder aimed is useless for this method. I do it like it is described, but with a vise. I have saved quite a bit of ammo over the years this way.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Toddly
To be done correctly you need a gun vise. You lose your original aim point when you start moving the sight turret. Hand held is not the way to go.

HORSE SCHITT!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Whatever bobs your cork. Here is what I do if I lack ANY conficdence at all in the rifle or load.

1. Bore sight (bore or device) first. (if new to me rifle, or I've rebedded, rescoped, etc)

2. One shot at 25 yards to confirm I and/or device isn't cockeyed, or the barrel pressure-point stressed out of all reason. All but two of my rifles are free-floated from about 2 inches forward of receiver. No problem. The M98 with heavy barrel is full-length bedded. No problem. The Rem 700 .243. REQUIRES a light pressure point at the fore-end tip (that's a valuable piece of information, that took over 100 rounds of "sight in" to get it from 2.5 MOA to one). Not that 2.5 MOA has been ineffective in cleanly killing game to 300 yards over the last 40 years... the MOA is just more comforting... smile

3. Three - repeat- 3 shots at 100. The rifle is likely more accurate than I, but this not only tells me something about 2 above, but gives me an "average" for more realistic hunting situations, both on the rifle's ability, and on mine. Mark center of 3 shot group with a Sharpie.

4. Adjust scope from original aim point to Sharpie mark. Test fire one to 3 shots to confirm.

"One-shot sight-in" makes me nervous if ANY factors are in doubt or may have changed, or if I haven't shot the rifle in quite some time. I trust my RU77 in .338WM implicitly, but since I haven't shot it in 8 years, it is getting the above treatment from #3 down before I next take it hunting. I expect to have to fire only 3 shots- maybe two. With no scope adjustment needed.

If I have hunted with it the year before, it gets a one shot "sight-in" to confirm zero, and we are good to go. In a good year, I fire 3 shots with it.. the third being the stand-off insurance shot. In a really good year, only two.

Video works with already known rifle/ammo accuracy with rest and procedure caveats others have mentioned.

Last edited by las; 07/15/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Back in the mid 70's, I was shooting in the IBS Nationals, I believe in Mainville, PA when the guy next bench over had his scope break after his second record shot. He had maybe 4 minutes to finish the target or be DQ'd. He unscrewed his scope and ran back to his car, got a new scope, ran back to the line, screwed on the new scope, bore sighted it, fired at a rock next to his target frame, made some adjustments, went to his sighter, made another adjustment and fired the next three shots into his group. He finished the record group with maybe a few seconds to spare. It was a bug hole group, probably no more than .250" It was an impressive performance. After bore sighting, all he did was move his crosshairs to the bullet hole. Simple.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 2 shots to sight in. As long as the first shot is on the paper, that is all I need. I sand bag the long gun, fire one shot with the crosshairs zeroed at target center. The gun will move, no matter what, so don't worry about it. Reset long gun to same aim point, and sand bag it again. Confirm zero, then move scope crosshairs to hole in target, take second shot. It should hit original hole.

(Ammo is expensive, I try not to waste it.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Agreed. It works fine with a gun of known parentage and upbringing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by las

I've been able to sight in even the surliest bastard that way. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by las

I've been able to sight in even the surliest bastard that way. 😉

I'm thinking groups, not patterns.... smile

One can chase bullet holes all day long, one shot at a time. Ask me how I know...

Last edited by las; 07/15/17.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Scoping is not rocket science - take a peanut butter jar with a red lid about 4" or 5" in diameter - lay it on top of a gate post about 50 yards distant with the red lid facing your rest. Unless you are one of those strange lever or auto gun guys, remove the bolt, sit the rifle on a solid rest (bags?) and see the red lid through the barrel - get it in the middle. Hold that sucker there tight and adjust the cross hairs (backwards?) to center them upon that same red lid. If you want a higher POI, settle the cross hairs nearer the bottom of that red peanut butter jar lid.

Then, put the bolt in, put up a nice big piece of white paper (with some kinda dot in the middle) 100 yards or so from your rest, load a round, aim at the dot and gently squeeze. The bullet hole will tell you how you did with the bore sighting. Then, get the cross hairs steady on the same dot you aimed at - keep holding the rifle tight on the rest and on the dot - look through the scope and turn knobs until the cross hairs are on the bullet hole. Then fire a bunch of rounds to celebrate - sighting-in party. Eat the remaining peanut butter.

Now, zillions of guys know how to do all of that - it has worked well for them for decades. One of these days I need to try it.

That has worked for me over the years. A couple years ago I had a rifle built and used this system. The bullet missed the whole 2'X4' target board. Upon further investigation I discovered the barrel was bent toward the right. When I was really careful looking through the bore I could see the slightest vertically oriented oval shape rather than a round bore.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.