-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Few years ago I bought a Savage 110 LH that shot groups a little larger that a baseball, with several factory ammo, and reloads.
Called Savage, they said send it to them, I paid postage.
Rifle was returned free, and promptly shot a 9/16" group with mixed brass reloads.Some of the same ammo used before.
Don't recall exact price, but it was in the $300 and change range.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Why anyone would spend over 1000 on a Kimber rifle these days and then spend countless hours trying to get it to shoot when they could just buy a $500 Tikka and have a shooter out of the box is beyond me. I owned 1 Kimber and it was the worst shooting rifle I have ever owned.

I have not seen accuracy issues with Kimbers.. and I have with Tikka.

Even the sloppy-chambered one in question shoots more than acceptably well. And I do not have to look at a Tikka.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They make fine hunting rifles.

I only own 3 so a small sample.

That said the next rifle I buy will probably not be a Kimber.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never owned a Kimber, probably won't after reading this thread, but have a hunting buddy who swears by them and has a couple of Kimber rifles he always takes. Never heard him cuss them or bi*ch about accuracy.

Sorry to hear another American company has sold out for profits over quality and service. It will be the death of American industry if we stop caring about the consumer.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The planes I could borrow lack that kind of range....

Find richer friends.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Why anyone would spend over 1000 on a Kimber rifle these days and then spend countless hours trying to get it to shoot when they could just buy a $500 Tikka and have a shooter out of the box is beyond me. I owned 1 Kimber and it was the worst shooting rifle I have ever owned.

Hahahaha!

Good one, Donny.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I sold my Montana and bought a Sako. The Montana shot right around 1 moa but the Sako will do even better. I sure like the feel and weight of the Kimbers but getting an accurate one is hit and miss. I sent an 8400 back for a customer because the last inch or so of the bore was rough. The customer asked Kimber to install a stainless barrel (instead of the stock blued one it came with) which they did and that improved performance. He was getting under 1" 3 shot groups at a 100 which ain't bad for a lightweight hunting rifle. My Savage 116 FSAK in .338WM will consistently print 1/2" at 100 if I do my part, it just doesn't like Partitions. Weird that it'll shoot everything else with precision but not Partitions. If going cup and core (which is rare for me anymore) it'll put A-frames or TBBC into one hole. It loved the old original X bullets and the fail safes and seems to love the new TSX and TTSX so I'm okay with it not liking Partitions. I don't hunt with it as much anymore but when I do I know it'll do its job flawlessly. An accurate Savage isn't quite as earth shattering as an accurate Kimber nor is the Savage as refined or handsome as the Kimber but the animals don't seem to mind. 😉

I've never been impressed with Kimber's QC or customer service but as previously mentioned their marketing department s top notch.

Yeah. Savage all the way. Great rifles...

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 30_06Hunter

Sorry to hear another American company has sold out for profits over quality and service. It will be the death of American industry if we stop caring about the consumer.

It's heart wrenching.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There must be good reasons why guys spend $1,100+ - or even $800 - for "modern" rifle designs and then need responsive customer service because the things don't shoot straight, malfunction, lose head space (how does that happen?), etc.. But, it's difficult to identify those reasons, One has to wonder why such a mfr. is still in business. Maybe it has to do with aesthetics or keeping up with the Jones, or??

Realizing that I'm very old school not cool, cost-conscious, prone to nice wooden stocks, curmudgeonly, etc. - it still is a pleasure to pick up any one of these old Winchester, Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, Savage, Browning, Remington, etc. designs - some more than 100 years old (cartridge designs too) - and know that they will shoot good groups and kill animals - without breakdowns. Some of them have hundreds of rounds (maybe a thousand) through them but they don't seem to fail or need any customer service. Well, I do have a couple of modern design (35+ year-old) Ruger rifles - but they work just fine too.

I automatically feel bad when any gun guy has early trouble with an expensive firearm - could be anyone - and it's simply not the way this is supposed to work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by heavywalker
thats bullschit it's not like you're asking them to give you your stock back or something.

grin

Kinda what I was thinking.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I've had good luck with them but the best customer service I've ever had is with Ruger.

1 hour 50 mins is unacceptable.

Same here.. Ruger customer service is top notch and most of the time they'll send out small parts free of charge..
Ditto... Same with S&W...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... I am currently less than a minute away from being on hold for an hour. This is the third attempt at speaking to anyone, well over two hours without an answer on their phone line.

Well, sounds like their caller ID is working just fine.

smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
$500 Tikkas that shoot as good or better than rifles costing twice as much is no surprise and in fact, common knowledge. $650 binoculars (Tract Toric) that perform or out perform binoculars costing twice as much is no surprise anymore either. Companies with borderline products and service usually fade away from being taken seriously by the buying public (Legendary Arms Works rifles). Companies that take care of its customers prosper. Kimber appears to be taking cue from Leica USA in that regard.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kid0917
... I am currently less than a minute away from being on hold for an hour. This is the third attempt at speaking to anyone, well over two hours without an answer on their phone line.

Well, sounds like their caller ID is working just fine.

smile

Lemmee git some ice fer dat burn!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive owned 2, both 308 classics, both shot well and were not picky. The reason I currently dont have any is the feeding and ejection. If the mag spring is slightly out of sorts, or the cartridges werent perfectly lined up in the column then they hiccup. If the scope is mounted to close to the ejection port, the brass can bounce back into the port upon ejection. If I want a modern lightweight, there are other PF rifles that do it as good, some for less $. If I want a classic CRF rifle, I am prolly going to seek out a Pre-64, Mauser or Husky.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Someone should print out this thread and send it to the CEO of Kimber. CS might improve.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TomM1
- - - - The reason I currently dont have any is the feeding and ejection. If the mag spring is slightly out of sorts, or the cartridges werent perfectly lined up in the column then they hiccup. If the scope is mounted to close to the ejection port, the brass can bounce back into the port upon ejection. - - - -

Feeding and ejection problems with a modern bolt action hunting rifle - and a fellow can pay over $1,000 for the privileged experience of fundamental malfunction - possibly when hot on game. What's wrong with that picture?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
There must be good reasons why guys spend $1,100+ - or even $800 - for "modern" rifle designs and then need responsive customer service because the things don't shoot straight, malfunction, lose head space (how does that happen?), etc.. But, it's difficult to identify those reasons, One has to wonder why such a mfr. is still in business. Maybe it has to do with aesthetics or keeping up with the Jones, or??

Realizing that I'm very old school not cool, cost-conscious, prone to nice wooden stocks, curmudgeonly, etc. - it still is a pleasure to pick up any one of these old Winchester, Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, Savage, Browning, Remington, etc. designs - some more than 100 years old (cartridge designs too) - and know that they will shoot good groups and kill animals - without breakdowns. Some of them have hundreds of rounds (maybe a thousand) through them but they don't seem to fail or need any customer service. Well, I do have a couple of modern design (35+ year-old) Ruger rifles - but they work just fine too.

I automatically feel bad when any gun guy has early trouble with an expensive firearm - could be anyone - and it's simply not the way this is supposed to work.

This^^^^^ in spades!

There's simply no excuse for a gun to be shipped out for sale that won't feed, eject, or otherwise function properly and safely. For what Kimbers cost, it goes double. I've never had a single issue with an FN, pre-64, or older Sako, not one. Never had an issue with an M77 or Howa product either, for that matter.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
E-mail is an amazing thing.

Dave

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by TomM1
Ive owned 2, both 308 classics, both shot well and were not picky. The reason I currently dont have any is the feeding and ejection. If the mag spring is slightly out of sorts, or the cartridges werent perfectly lined up in the column then they hiccup. If the scope is mounted to close to the ejection port, the brass can bounce back into the port upon ejection. If I want a modern lightweight, there are other PF rifles that do it as good, some for less $. If I want a classic CRF rifle, I am prolly going to seek out a Pre-64, Mauser or Husky.

I wouldn't call it "shooting just fine", if feeding, ejection, etc. don't work properly. One can push a bullet down a barrel with a stick (figuratively speaking), but that doesn't make it a "shooter".

I haven't bought but one rifle (that POS out of obligation to settle a deceased brothers pawn) in over 30 years. If I do buy another it will be a used, but reliable brand (as Art noted - hell- I'll even throw in Savage, even tho I don't like to work on their their trigger/safety mechanism) for $300 or so, throw in anouther $100 or so of materials plus a little time and effort and have a rifle I am happy with. I don't really care how pretty it is, if it reliably handles and shoots well.

One of my favorite rifles is a RU77 that I had to bob the barrel to 17 inches because of an unsightly bulge at the muzzle. I paid $85, for it, glass bedded/free-floated, bobbed stock for and aft, with forend slimmed down to make it look right, installed a Decelerator pad on it, and came out with a rifle that shoots darn near anything into 1.25 MOA, 3 shot or 10 shot groups. First thing I killed with it was a ram at @330 yds. Longest shot was on a caribou at @375. Works just fine without flaunting rights cost, which is often what it seems all about.

Last edited by las; 07/16/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 39 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.