-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes woodford is smooth, which I dont always prefer, but is lacking in flavor imo. Turkey 101 isnt a bad bourbon. Always seem to have a handle sitting around. Still hard to beat Eagle rare. Varies bottle to bottle with some being absolutely fantastic.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Scotch, single or blended has a wide range of tastes, from smooth/sweet, like Glemorangie for example, to smoky and "peaty" (my favorite) like Talisker, Lagavulin, etc. Bourbon has a wide range of tastes too, although in my experience not as wide ranging as Scotch Whiskys, specifically the single malts. Taste, like everything else, is a matter of personal preference and of course education of the palate. Like art for example, some think the dogs playing pool on velvet is masterful and prefer it to say, a Velazquez, Goya, or Rembrandt. There's just no telling sometimes.

In general I would probably agree. Highland v Skye v lowland etc.

However, you can get increible variations going the single barrel route for bourbons. We recently went to Woodford to pick out a single barrel and they choose 6 barrels 2 done on one day and 4 on another. Each one tasted distinctly different based on where they were in the Rick house, the wood in the barrels, etc. my group was all amazed. Can't wait to get the one we picked out.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought s bottle of Elijah craig...i won't buy another.

I do love Blantons

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used to like smooth, prolly wore my taster out. Now been drinking Old Granddad 100 bottled in bond. Good bite, ice don't hurt it. Only thing I like really smooth anymore .....is skin.

"Course it depends where you are , in or on the way to a hunt may require a variety. From blended to at least on bottle of top notch bourbon. However, i have been pleased to have a cup of Rich& Rare.

Attached Images
IMG_0709.jpg (58.53 KB, 19 downloads)
IMG_0771.jpg (68.29 KB, 13 downloads)
DSC00252 (2).jpg (78.41 KB, 12 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enjoying a glass of the 1783 as I write!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same here cisco. I dont care for smooth much. Prefer a little bite. Why I lean on the higher proofs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed Gitem. Elijah is not pleasing to my taste buds

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pendlton here tonight..

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pour some likker through this and ya got scotch. I hate the stuff.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scotch, single or blended has a wide range of tastes, from smooth/sweet, like Glemorangie for example, to smoky and "peaty" (my favorite) like Talisker, Lagavulin, etc. Bourbon has a wide range of tastes too, although in my experience not as wide ranging as Scotch Whiskys, specifically the single malts. Taste, like everything else, is a matter of personal preference and of course education of the palate. Like art for example, some think the dogs playing pool on velvet is masterful and prefer it to say, a Velazquez, Goya, or Rembrandt. There's just no telling sometimes.

Jorge You do realize that single malt will vary slightly in batch to batch that is why they brought out blended to keep the taste constant.I don't trust any whiskeys that have something added for flavor. P.S. did work a liquor store for about 8 years..YLMV Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Pour some likker through this and ya got scotch. I hate the stuff.

[Linked Image]

So delicious

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And here's to it:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntinaz; 07/17/17.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I do love Blantons

sage advice!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I do love Blantons

sage advice!

Are you guys talking about the Elijah Craig 12 year old? I haven't bought any in several years, but it used to be great stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by northcountry

Jorge You do realize that single malt will vary slightly in batch to batch that is why they brought out blended to keep the taste constant.I don't trust any whiskeys that have something added for flavor. P.S. did work a liquor store for about 8 years..YLMV Cheers NC

Yes I do, and as a matter of fact, if you talk to the folks that make the stuff, Single Malts used to be the drink of the common folk, whilst the blended stuff was for the blue bloods. It's oly been a recent phenomenon the roles have been reversed..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm still trying to figure why so many don't like Scotch, 12 year old Glenmorangie is mighty fine sipping to me, could it be a dna deal, i am scotch/irish injun crossbred. crazy

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm still trying to figure why so many don't like Scotch, 12 year old Glenmorangie is mighty fine sipping to me, could it be a dna deal, i am scotch/irish injun crossbred. crazy

YEP!

Bourbon??? I can drink it, anything more than a shot an I have an incredible headache the next morning.

RUM? My preferred mixing liquor! For me, hangover proof. smile

SCOTCH??? Oh Yeah! Single Malt and at least a 'Teen'

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, gotta believe preferred drink is somehow related to race ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Jorge, I'm like muffin with the headaches on the blended varieties, seagrams 7 and crown royal make my head feel like it's been in a shop vise for a week the next morning.

Trump Won!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 117LBS, 30 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,776
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.