-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone hunted this area? Any thoughts on it?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up there. Never hunted it. Rugged, steep. Very tough hunt. No trails to speak of. I've heard it holds some big bulls and it is a tough draw.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My comments would mirror those of WyColoCowboy! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
WhatwyColo said.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Rugged, nasty country. I know lots of guys who live in Rawlins and they don't even think about putting in for the unit.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A friend of mine from Muddy Gap told me that once your on the mountain....getting an elk is easy. They just want to be put out of their misery! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for those that haven't been there...

[Linked Image]

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
If you draw the tag go play the lottery bc ur one lucky sob lol. Extremely hard to draw tag. But big elk if you get into em.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Has anyone hunted this area? Any thoughts on it?

Do you have a tag for that area? If so, be prepared for some nasty weather. The wind screams through there at times. Particularly later in the fall.

Ferris Mtns per se are not very large in areal extent. Steep and rugged, as others have noted. Surrounded by much more open country.

Some big bulls are rumored to live there. No grizzly bears to contend with. Not sure if there are any wolves there yet.

Not many tags, so not many hunters.

Interesting place to hunt.

WyoM70

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunted cows in 111 last fall. I drove around those mountains several times. As others have stated, it is tough country, BUT there are some giant bulls there. Check with the ranches on the south side of the mountains just in off the highway. I think at least one allows access from what my friends in Rawlins told me. I talked to a guy that was scouting deer, while doing some scouting in 111. He said that the north side has a drainage that is absolutely where he would hunt, if he ever got a tag there. Rose Canyon maybe? Don't remember for sure, but easy enough to find on the maps.

You got a tag that is tough to draw. Good job.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do not have a tag, just thinking, and looking at where to buy preference points. We have hunted mule deer across the road there and I have looked at it too many times passing by. Just have a hankering to go there

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.