Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Both my son and I have played with flyrods for years. This year we've gotten more serious. He has a Walmart special he learned on and a 66" Cabelas he's played with on small streams. I have a Redington Redfly 8ft 5w. A friend has let us borrow a Winston Boron III X 9ft 5w - wow what a difference (but we're both a little nervous using it). Anyway we're looking to get new rods but nothing like the Winston. I was thinking of the Redington Classic Trout or Hydrogen, TFO Sig 2 or Pro 2, or Orvis Clearwater. We're fishing streams in NW PA ranging from small stuff for natives and larger creeks holding 20"ers so thinking 9ft 5w would be best all around and we can add to the collection (7ft 3w) later. Also taking family vacation out to WY & MT this year and rod will be going along.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skip the TFO models you mentioned, they are way too slow to come close to the Winston in feel. The BVK line at TFO is an incredible rod for the money. I have more than several and like the 10' 4wt better than about any rod I own. I have a couple Winstons, the BIIx and the BIIIx you were using in 7 and 5 wts... I have a bunch of other upper end rods and feel the BVK comes closer for the money and for the feel you are looking for.

I am not impressed by any Reddington rod I have cast or felt (a bunch).

Another very good choice for minimum dollars is ECHO... but they are MUCH faster rods and with the right lines are amazing. but again, they are very fast and not as pleasant to cast as the BVKs.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott
We're fishing streams in NW PA ranging from small stuff for natives and larger creeks holding 20"ers so thinking 9ft 5w would be best all around and we can add to the collection (7ft 3w) later. Also taking family vacation out to WY & MT this year and rod will be going along.

Two different worlds. I fish a lot in south central PA in small streams (4' to 15' wide) using either a 4 weight 9 1/2' or a 3 weight 7 1/2'. You're dealing with smallish flies, short casts and no wind to speak of. Go west and you're dealing with bigger flies, longer casts and wind, always wind. Go with a 6 weight 9'.

You really need two different rods for maximum fun.

Price really has little to do with how good a rod is, with some really low-end exceptions. It's all about what you cast well. Go to some local fly shop (http://www.ncflyshop.com ?) and cast a few and see what resonates.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using St Croix rods for the last several years. You can pick up a great used St Croix on fleabay for sub $200, most right around $125-150. I have a Legend, Avid, and Imperial in different weights. I really like them. A 9 foot, 5 wt is a great all around rod. For PA mountain brookie streams, a shorter rod makes sense. I just picked up a 7.5 ft, 4 wt for that exact purpose. I'd also look for a better quality 4-5-6 wt reel. Again fleabay can be your friend. I'm researching reels now and have looked at most under $250. You don't need a $4-500 reel for the type of fly fishing you'll be doing. In fact a decent $100 reel will work fine.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Scott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. My boy decided on the Redington CT 590. It was in his budget and he liked it. I picked up a Winston Passport on fleabay for a good price. I've read good reviews on them.

I think that suits us for all around but I agree on the smaller rod option for the small stuff we fish locally.

This stuff is addicting.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
IC B2

F
F
I own or have owned fly rods from all "major" mfg. If you ever have a problem, Orvis has the best customer service imo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
109 members (375sunrise, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1911a1, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 516 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,431
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.