Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Potsy
The 21st is our wedding anniversary. Dunkirk and supper will probably be our date. My wife is awesome.:)

I need to do a little reading up on it. I always sorta wondered, why, with Brit Naval firepower being what it was, they didn't offer more offshore artillery support. I'd have thought they could have owned everything to 10 miles inland. I get that the battleships and heavy cruisers with the big guns fretted U-boats, but I figured that's what destroyers were for.

Fear of being bottled up in the channel. Not only a uboat presence, but the Kreigsmarine still had a formidable
Surface fleet, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, Gniesanau, etc etc. Royal Navy didnt t need another Jutland.

They also did not enjoy air superiority. The Luftwaffe sunk several of evacuation vessels. E-boats also accounted for a couple.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=Potsy]. Royal Navy didnt t need another Jutland.

Why not, they won,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Opens Friday, 7/21. Getting a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes so far which is high praise. I don't go to the movies any more unless there is a real good reason to do so, but this one might drag me into a theater.

For me - there is no possibility of an "unless".. I'll wait til I can get it on DVD.. smile

Some movies should be seen on the big screen. This looks like one of them. Go to one of the new theaters with reserved seating and big lounge chairs. A pretty nice experience.

Last big screen theater I went to just about blew the rest of my poor eardrums out.

I like big screen TV a LOT better.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll go to this one. Theater movies (hell, ANY movies) are a rarity for me. I wear earplugs to all movies, mostly due to the damn previews. They really crank those damn things up. But I'm pretty sure a war movie will require them, also.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I lived in London for 2 years starting in 1960. WW2 was very much a part of most Londoners life at that time. There were still many bomb sites in downtown London at that time and we had a bomb shelter in our back yard that contained helmets and gas masks. The American USAF school I attended had been the site of one of Ike's headquarters during the prep for D Day in France. Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain were a large part of my reading and the guy across the street was a former Spitfire pilot. I can hardly wait to see the movie and will hope for the best.

mike r

Mike,

Lived in England also from 63 to 66...wasn't London, was up in Huntingdonshire... Dad was stationed at Alconbury.

Neighbor and friend of the family, Tom Scott was with the BEF in France and was with the last group of men
left at Dunkirk for Evac. The Germans were assaulting the beach, and his unit was running for the boats, all of
their equipment ditched on the beach. His "mate" was hit and went down. He stopped and turned to get him.
The area was being machine gunned. He didn't see his friend, but another soldier was hit, and several other soldiers
were grabbing him, dodging the machine gun fire, and motioned for his help. The drug the wounded man behind a burning
vehicle for cover. When the machine gun fire stopped, the men he'd helped realized he wasn't German and he realized
they weren't British.

POW thru out the entire war. He is credited with 17 escape attempts, all unsuccessful. He was with the men
who got out of the POW camp that the movie the Great Escape was based on. He was one of the lucky ones
brought back, and not shot. He was a consultant when they were making the movie. He was also from Scotland, but his
wife was English. She spent the war, raising two young kids and working in a munitions factory, not knowing for a long
time if her husband was killed or not.

Her story during the Battle of Britain was something else also...

As a kid, I use to think the comic strip Andy Capp had to be made modeling Tom and Ella...a real pair of firecrackers.

If one didn't live in Britain during the time we did, its hard to explain what it was like for kids like you and I.

The remains of the war was all around us...they were still constantly finding dud bombs from the Battle of Britain
and nuisance raids from all during the war. I still remember B17 and B 24 fuselages and tails, still on some of the
bases that were auxillary fields the Air Force used for NATO needs... or in some of the local scrap yards.

I'm really looking forward to this movie, knowing many people in my youth who were there.

When we lived there, even if they weren't in the service, pretty much ALL adults over 40 were 'veterans' of the Battle
of Britain and WW2, if they were British..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
[quote=Potsy]. Royal Navy didnt t need another Jutland.

Why not, they won,

But pretty damn costly!!! And I aalways considered it a German victory given the Brit losses

And yeah. The Luftwaffe would have made things a bit dicey too!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/18/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Some movies just need to be seen in a theater and I suspect this will be one of those! I'll be going in a few weeks!

I'll try to go see it in the theatre, but this time, unlike last time, I'll take good foam earplugs. Man they crank the sound up in there! My ears were ringing when I came out.

Don't leave home without them, unless you are 75% deaf already.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
When folks see the movie remember it was the French who stood and fought the Germans off to allow the Brits to evacuate.

Without the courage and the bravery of those French troops, many Brits would not have lived to be evacuated.

I, too, am hoping for a great movie.

Ed

THIS. Also, while Guderian's tanks got there, the infantry had not caught up, hence the three day pause.

Guderian's tanks were accompanied by mechanized infantry, and the combination had been sufficient to overrun the entire French army and out the BEF on the run in the preceding weeks. Yes, having great numbers of infantry might have made a difference, but that was First World War thinking on the part of the old men in charge (Hitler and Von Runsted).

The German high command made a decision to stop the advance that Guderian, if not ordered to stop, would never have considered. He could have overrun the BEF with what he had in hand, using the tactics that had conquered the entirety of Europe in less than a year.

If the Germans had killed or captured theBEF at Dunkirk, England would have had no choice but to capitulate. There would have been no Battle of Britain, no invasion of Europe from England, and quite possibly the Third Reich might still rule Europe today.

The more I study history, the more I'm amazed the world is in the shape it's in. It could be so much different! Makes me wonder...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a WWII buff, I will go. Looking forward to the movie and hoping it's well done. I wish my father, a WWII vet, was here to see this. My deepest thanks to all those who fought this terrible, terrible war.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Check out the reviews on youtube, just search for "dunkirk review". PG-13 so not a ton of blood and guts like SPR and Hacksaw Ridge, not a lot of introspective soldiers sitting around talking - apparently it's an hour and 46 minutes of the battle of Dunkirk.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Redneck
Opens Friday, 7/21. Getting a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes so far which is high praise. I don't go to the movies any more unless there is a real good reason to do so, but this one might drag me into a theater.

For me - there is no possibility of an "unless".. I'll wait til I can get it on DVD.. smile

Some movies should be seen on the big screen. This looks like one of them. Go to one of the new theaters with reserved seating and big lounge chairs. A pretty nice experience.

Last big screen theater I went to just about blew the rest of my poor eardrums out.

I like big screen TV a LOT better.
Ditto... I have a 65" HDTV at home hooked up to a rather nice 7-ch surround sound set... Last movie I saw in a theater was Terminator II... It will be the last.. And now - with the "new" theaters - we get to watch dozens of ADS....while idiots all around are on their damned 'smart phones' and talkin' to their friends.....OH, and ya get to pay $8-10 for popcorn and another $5 for something to wash it down with.. Not to mention the $10 it takes just to get IN the damned place..

Pass. Never again.. I hope y'all enjoy the show.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You ain't gotta buy popcorn, I don't see idiots all around on their damned smart phones.

Amazing what a bunch of nasty old farts here.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pass. Never again... Pretty much hate seeing or having to interact with people in any public venue.

I am going to wait till it comes out on VHS so I can enjoy it in the comfort of my living room with my six cats and a pack of Slim-jims.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wait for dvd to come out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have tickets for Friday afternoon. Small local multiplex theater. Total for two adults $12.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tat's a good price. Local theater I go to charges $7.50 for matinee tickets - same price for senior discount.

Taking Friday off of work myself. Going to the range in the morning to test some new cast bullet loads in the .30-06 and then will decide whether to attend the 11:50 or 12:30 early matinee.

I'll tell you how it ends... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tat's a good price. Local theater I go to charges $7.50 for matinee tickets - same price for senior discount.

Taking Friday off of work myself. Going to the range in the morning to test some new cast bullet loads in the .30-06 and then will decide whether to attend the 11:50 or 12:30 early matinee.

I'll tell you how it ends... wink

Jim, what theater are you going to see the flick ... and do they have a "No Guns" policy??

Thanks.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I go to the Majestic in Meridian and AFAIK they don't have any no guns policy, or if they do I've ignored it since I've carried more than once going in there. I've never been bothered there by rude folks since I go to the early matinees where the audience is mostly retirees anyway and they display notices over and over to turn off your cell phone. Some addicts stay on their phones until the very last second until the theater darkens for the previews, but a couple warning shots by their ear usually gets them to shut it down... wink

It is playing at Edwards and I'm strongly tempted to pay the big bucks to see it on their huge IMAX screen if they show it there, but I have this irrational aversion to that theater for whatever reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Jim. We'll give it a shot next week. We're not too far from Meridian.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Old rejuvenated family theater a mile and a half from my house has it starting Thursday night. Friday matinees for $5.75. Think that'll be the ticket.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,030
Posts18,520,938
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.