Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#12151836 07/17/17
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Opens Friday, 7/21. Getting a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes so far which is high praise. I don't go to the movies any more unless there is a real good reason to do so, but this one might drag me into a theater.

"This is visceral, big-budget filmmaking that can be called Art. It's also, hands down, the best motion picture of the year so far."
"Let other directors play with toy soldiers and computer effects. This is big-time, old-school filmmaking. Dunkirk isn't overdone. It's simply done epically."
"Christopher Nolan's astonishing new film, a retelling of the Allied evacuation of occupied France in 1940, is a work of heart-hammering intensity and grandeur that demands to be seen on the best and biggest screen within reach."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have tickets for the premiere.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope they got the story straight.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Should be on Direct TV soon. Will be good to see I"m sure.

If I never set foot in a theater again, it won't be a loss.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm going.

Germany screwed the pooch.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I lived in London for 2 years starting in 1960. WW2 was very much a part of most Londoners life at that time. There were still many bomb sites in downtown London at that time and we had a bomb shelter in our back yard that contained helmets and gas masks. The American USAF school I attended had been the site of one of Ike's headquarters during the prep for D Day in France. Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain were a large part of my reading and the guy across the street was a former Spitfire pilot. I can hardly wait to see the movie and will hope for the best.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw the trailer when it first came out a while ago and have been waiting patiently to go see it at the theater. I hope it's as good as the trailer makes it out to be.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's why I was waiting for the Rotten Tomatoes reviews. Anyone can make a movie about an historic event with a lot of explosions but can they tell the story well? So many movies nowadays have fantastic CGI and flashy destruction but the movie itself sucks. RT takes the results of dozens of different reviewers - many of whom wouldn't know a Stuka from a B-17 - for an overall score and since it's now at 97% that pretty much guarantees a well crafted movie. I'm thinking of taking Friday off so I can go see the early matinee when it opens.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Some movies just need to be seen in a theater and I suspect this will be one of those! I'll be going in a few weeks!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When folks see the movie remember it was the French who stood and fought the Germans off to allow the Brits to evacuate.

Without the courage and the bravery of those French troops, many Brits would not have lived to be evacuated.

I, too, am hoping for a great movie.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grandfather on my mother's side was at Dunkirk and one of those evacuated on a small fisherman's boat. He never would say much about it, except to say that the beach was hell on earth........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The miracle at Dunkirk is where Germany lost the war. At that time the US Army was smaller than Romania's. Had the Brit's folded then, so would the world.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
When folks see the movie remember it was the French who stood and fought the Germans off to allow the Brits to evacuate.

Without the courage and the bravery of those French troops, many Brits would not have lived to be evacuated.

Ed

THIS. Also, while Guderian's tanks got there, the infantry had not caught up, hence the three day pause.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It has good reviews.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Opens Friday, 7/21. Getting a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes so far which is high praise. I don't go to the movies any more unless there is a real good reason to do so, but this one might drag me into a theater.

For me - there is no possibility of an "unless".. I'll wait til I can get it on DVD.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

For me - there is no possibility of an "unless".. I'll wait til I can get it on DVD.. smile

Some movies should be seen on the big screen. This looks like one of them. Go to one of the new theaters with reserved seating and big lounge chairs. A pretty nice experience.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

THIS. Also, while Guderian's tanks got there, the infantry had not caught up, hence the three day pause.

Had a friend from France who's grand dad commanded a company in the same regiment he had served as an enlisted man in during the Great War. ( (This man lost all his brothers and several cousins in less than 2 hours at Verdun).

Ok. Back to Dunkirk, they expended all their ammo. MADE SEVERAL BAYONET ASSAULTS. And survivors ended up burning their regimental colors on the beach. Most spent rest of war in POW camp. His grand dad was released due to health. Went back to France and served as best as able With The Maquis.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The 21st is our wedding anniversary. Dunkirk and supper will probably be our date. My wife is awesome.:)

I need to do a little reading up on it. I always sorta wondered, why, with Brit Naval firepower being what it was, they didn't offer more offshore artillery support. I'd have thought they could have owned everything to 10 miles inland. I get that the battleships and heavy cruisers with the big guns fretted U-boats, but I figured that's what destroyers were for.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Potsy
The 21st is our wedding anniversary. Dunkirk and supper will probably be our date. My wife is awesome.:)

I need to do a little reading up on it. I always sorta wondered, why, with Brit Naval firepower being what it was, they didn't offer more offshore artillery support. I'd have thought they could have owned everything to 10 miles inland. I get that the battleships and heavy cruisers with the big guns fretted U-boats, but I figured that's what destroyers were for.

Fear of being bottled up in the channel. Not only a uboat presence, but the Kreigsmarine still had a formidable
Surface fleet, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, Gniesanau, etc etc. Royal Navy didnt t need another Jutland.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/18/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.