Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by Ringman
Personally I don't like to mess with a tube once it has been finished, I believe it was Kenny Jarret that said any cutting on the outside can change the internal dimensions , so the outside according to Mr jarret must be important once finished, have heard of others getting away with it but I'll pass!

What do you think about buying a barrel you plan to use as a 6.5 but you get a.224 barrel. Then have it fluted then have it bored to .264?

Not sure if your serious, but I think its your barrel to waste $$ as you see fit............

It was a serious question to the idea you get stuff done to the outside before the bore is finished. How would it be a waist of money if it accomplish what you, not me, want? To do what you and ol' Jerret are saying you would have to have your own barrel machine.

I am not committed to the idea everything on the outside needs to be finished before the inside is finished. I sent the bored and rifled barrel off to get fluted yesterday. When it gets back I will have it threaded and chambered on one end and the other end will be threaded for a brake. I tend to put my money where my talking is.

How are you going to quantify the accuracy of the barrel since you've never shot said barrel?

First, I'm not interested in the answer to that question. Second, It is not the difference I'm interested in; even if it was possible to ascertain. If I can get it to shoot up to my ability I will be delighted. This action with a .257 barrel did 10 in 3/4" at 100. Another did .870" for 10 shots at 200 yards. Either will work for me. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
To flute or not to flute; that is the question.

I know Twisted Barrel can reduce weight by at least seven ounce in a barrel by fluting. Does anyone know from experience if deep fluting reduces accuracy? The rifle would be fired once and then let cool before the next shot. This is sort of duplicates hunting. It's rare for more than one shot to be fired in a hunting situation.

Whatever you decide on, it will be wrong.

Did you ask liar Larry or didja just think this up????

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

I know Twisted Barrel can reduce weight by at least seven ounce in a barrel by fluting. Does anyone know from experience if deep fluting reduces accuracy? The rifle would be fired once and then let cool before the next shot. This is sort of duplicates hunting. It's rare for more than one shot to be fired in a hunting situation.

Go [bleep] yourself you mealy-mouthed homo piece of crap.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Based on the desire to lighten the rifle up I'm guessing you will be wanting to take it into the field. What scope will it 'wear'? For a mountain gun I'd go with a 6x fixed fuggher, unless I was shooting super long range..then a NF BEAST would for sure get the job done.

If only someone knew the best scope for spotting antlers in the woods at last light. It's a travesty that no one has ever looked into that and written on it.

I do know that with Vortex they have a no questions asked warranty. Not everyone loves Vortex (personally I think a few of their scopes are quite nice) but if say, an action were to completely explode (for reasons unknown) and the scope went with it, they will replace. Might want to consider one of the higher mag Razors LH's for this build...great glass, no nonesense scope and yeah when you blow the rig up during initial testing they will replace. wink

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How are things coming along here?

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good question.

Two freaking pages and we still haven't learned the ever-important-question of how many lugs the action has. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Based on the desire to lighten the rifle up I'm guessing you will be wanting to take it into the field. What scope will it 'wear'? For a mountain gun I'd go with a 6x fixed fuggher, unless I was shooting super long range..then a NF BEAST would for sure get the job done.

If only someone knew the best scope for spotting antlers in the woods at last light. It's a travesty that no one has ever looked into that and written on it.

I do know that with Vortex they have a no questions asked warranty. Not everyone loves Vortex (personally I think a few of their scopes are quite nice) but if say, an action were to completely explode (for reasons unknown) and the scope went with it, they will replace. Might want to consider one of the higher mag Razors LH's for this build...great glass, no nonesense scope and yeah when you blow the rig up during initial testing they will replace. wink

Until I read you last sentence I took you seriously and was going to answer appropriately.

Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by SKane
Good question.

Two freaking pages and we still haven't learned the ever-important-question of how many lugs the action has. whistle

Hopefully enough lugs to fling some of the lighter 6.5's at thrilling speeds. I'm thinking with enough bullseye a 120 gr bullet should reach 3500 fps w/ 'nearly' no problems. LOL. But, I still want to know about the glass that will ride atop this beaast.

Personally, I like the idea of fluting a 223 barrel and then drilling it out to 264. Just make sure that before you drill that barrel out you get it nitro-carbolized. It will be that much easier on the tools.

Also, want too know how this wildcat will do with Trailboss, loaded subsonic. This could be an extremely versatile rifle..one day wears a break, next day a can...a true everyman's shooting iron.

All kidding aside, I do enjoy your endeavors (Ringman) quite a lot. And I think you put a few here on from time to time.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I'm not here for your [bleep] entertainment. Two barrels of the same weight and length and the fluted one is more rigid, that's a fact.

Did you call Krieger?

No need to involve a 3rd party source.

Cutting flutes in a tube will not stiffen a barrel.....it will make it lighter

Your above statement gives me all I need.... "same weight"

I.E. bigger diameter fluted vs smaller diameter....both equal weight

The larger fluted will be stiffer

A 3rd party? Krieger? I'm pretty sure tedthorn from the fire' thinks he knows more about barrels than Krieger, but...

I don't know as much about barrels as Krieger

But I do have an engineering degree and just over 30 years in the machining industry

More then enough to understand the topic at hand

All engineers and critical thinkers know that you can't get more stiffness by cutting away metal to make flutes. Krieger knows that also. Maybe less barrel whip due to less mass but I doubt it.

Last edited by gmack; 07/17/17.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny
And I think you put a few here on from time to time.

I have no idea what this statement means. If you don't mind, would you elaborate, please?

By the way I have another wildcat, a 6.5 RUMLN, based on the 7RUM that will do 3,500 with a 120 grainer. It holds 109 grains of water. The 6.5SLR will be for a more sedate 3,100 - 3,250 feet per second with 125 Hammers or 127 Barnes.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wes
tside_benny
And I think you put a few here on from time to time.

I have no idea what this statement means. If you don't mind, would you elaborate, please?

By the way I have another wildcat, a 6.5 RUMLN, based on the 7RUM that will do 3,500 with a 120 grainer. It holds 109 grains of water. The 6.5SLR will be for a more sedate 3,100 - 3,250 feet per second with 125 Hammers or 127 Barnes.

I think you are quite the enthusiast. I think you 'might' know your way around the reloading bench. I think you might 'occasionally' write up your new projects in such a way as to excite some of the readers. But, I have been wrong before...in which case you are a reckless dumbass that has somehow lived into his golden years. Congratulations?!?!

All that aside, I do appreciate a 6.5 aficionado doing things I would never bother with. I look forward to the progression of this latest build...and that is not said in jest.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Go [bleep] yourself you mealy-mouthed homo piece of crap.

Haha, are you crying and stomping your feet right now??? Read some more, I'm sure you'll "learn" something....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Haha, are you crying and stomping your feet right now??? Read some more, I'm sure you'll "learn" something....

Some folks just can't help themselves.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Flute it

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I sent it in last Friday.

Last edited by Ringman; 07/19/17.

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Look for an upcoming essay from this fellow, titled,......" A lifetime's study of how to properly screw up a steel ball, with a rubber hammer,... and secrets to success in so doing, and what I've learned along this challenging path "
U.S. $ 29.99, plus shipping and handling

BUT WAIT ! , for only the additional paltry sum of $10.00, Get his earlier, and now hotly discussed work, " A startling and innovative Bushido approach to hand loading and interior ballistics, passed on to me by a wise old Japanese monk, while sharing a ward in a mental health facility"
DON"T miss out on this bargain of a lifetime, particularly if shortening it is on your bucket list of things to do.....order the "twin Pack" and receive free shipping and handling , for no additional charges (offer may not apply in most states) !

GTC

WOW! Is this offer still valid? Will you throw in his "Anecdotes of a Wandering Theologian as Pertains to Insights Into Applied Physics"? I'm really looking forward to reading that chapter about dodging pieces of receiver shrapnel while pondering the loud ringing noise!
Also does the booklet "Raising Consciousness After 100K PSI Explosions Near Your Cranium" come in this set or do I just pay separate shipping & handling?

Eagerly awaiting , nay, breathlessly awaiting, news of these products.

Yr. Obt. Svt.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Personally I don't like to mess with a tube once it has been finished, I believe it was Kenny Jarret that said any cutting on the outside can change the internal dimensions , so the outside according to Mr jarret must be important once finished, have heard of others getting away with it but I'll pass!

What do you think about buying a barrel you plan to use as a 6.5 but you get a.224 barrel. Then have it fluted then have it bored to .264?

Not sure if your serious, but I think its your barrel to waste $$ as you see fit............

It was a serious question to the idea you get stuff done to the outside before the bore is finished. How would it be a waist of money if it accomplish what you, not me, want? To do what you and ol' Jerret are saying you would have to have your own barrel machine.

I am not committed to the idea everything on the outside needs to be finished before the inside is finished. I sent the bored and rifled barrel off to get fluted yesterday. When it gets back I will have it threaded and chambered on one end and the other end will be threaded for a brake. I tend to put my money where my talking is.

No.

You do all the boring and cutting before the barrel is stress relieved.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A lot of arguing over a few words. Both sides are right and that is why you cant get an answer. You cannot make a barrel stiffer by removing material, but you can create a more efficient section by using flutes, and have a stiffer barrel when compared to a thinner, unfluted barrel with no flutes. It would seem that a bunch of sportsman could find it reasonable to agree that when ounces matter, and barrel stiffness matters, that flutes could be a good solution. I like the way flutes look, and if they are lighter and the barrel provides more stiffness than an unfluted barrel of the same weight.... I win again.

Sorry if I disturbed the womenfolk too much in their banter... but it was dragging on and I am trying to watch TV

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oakster
A lot of arguing over a few words. Both sides are right and that is why you cant get an answer. You cannot make a barrel stiffer by removing material, but you can create a more efficient section by using flutes, and have a stiffer barrel when compared to a thinner, unfluted barrel with no flutes. It would seem that a bunch of sportsman could find it reasonable to agree that when ounces matter, and barrel stiffness matters, that flutes could be a good solution. I like the way flutes look, and if they are lighter and the barrel provides more stiffness than an unfluted barrel of the same weight.... I win again.

Sorry if I disturbed the womenfolk too much in their banter... but it was dragging on and I am trying to watch TV

Excellent answer.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"I like the way flutes look, and if they are lighter and the barrel provides more stiffness than an unfluted barrel of the same weight"

The flutes don't provide ANY stiffness, the larger diameter of the fluted barrel provides the stiffness.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.