Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stantdm
Don't come to South Dakota. Whitetail and pheasants are fairly easy to get, elk and antelope permits are harder. I know people who have drawn an Elk tag in fifteen years. Montana has us beat hands down, their seasons are longer and better, their weather is better, and they like out of state people who move there.

So I've heard. smile

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to think North Dakota.
In recent years I've come to really appreciate the Oklahoma panhandle.
Good local deer and waterfowl hunting, easy access to Texas ranches to the south, walk-in access for Kansas roosters to the north, elk hunting just a little to the west.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotta agree with Alamosa. The OK panhandle is a hidden gem. There are some giant whitetails there, some very good mule deer, fantastic bird hunting. We hunted several years near a small place called Knowles.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I can't stand Oklahoma, sorry about that. Basic training and AIT ruined that state for me. I'm going to take some trips to the Montana Idaho Wyoming areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska

1Minute
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Alaska has only one road - makes getting around a little expensive sometimes. smile

If I ever leave the state, it would be for MT, ID, WY, possibly western CO.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I moved to Colorado 40 years ago so could hunt elk every year.If I weren't so old now,I'd get the heck out of here and move to ID, Wy, or Mt.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Idaho👍

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That's the great thing about this country, the diversity of topography and the diversity of the game. From exotics in Texas to incredible pheasant hunting in the Dakotas to my favorite ALASKA. A man could spend his whole life hunting this country and never get bored. I say spend a few years hunting your top 5 or so destinations and make the tough choice of only choosing one to live in. I chose Alaska because those white critters on craggy peaks intrigue me as much as the grizzlies and moose do. Good luck and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you and yours. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Montana or Alaska. Personally, I'd pick Montana. Living a large portion of the year in darkness pretty much sucks.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice try, it ain't working. Scoot over........

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Wyoming has a lot of variety, but the seaons are pretty short, at least for gun hunting with OTC deer and elk tags. For gun hunters, the period between mid-September and the end of October can be pretty hectic, and the abundant public lands have extremely abundant numbers of hunters. You can pick up some quality hunting time by archery hunting. In fact, I don't even like to gun hunt for deer or elk anymore.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wyoming has a lot of variety, but the seaons are pretty short, at least for gun hunting with OTC deer and elk tags. For gun hunters, the period between mid-September and the end of October can be pretty hectic, and the abundant public lands have extremely abundant numbers of hunters. You can pick up some quality hunting time by archery hunting. In fact, I don't even like to gun hunt for deer or elk anymore.

In Idaho, elk hunts that aren't draw have A and B tags to choose from. An A tag gets you a month of bowhunting plus a short cow and/or spike gun hunt later. It might include a ML hunt, too. The B tag is for any weapon and will generally go for 3 to 4 weeks depending on the hunt. There are numerous exceptions to this.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Montana or Arizona

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would pick Montana. Lots of options. Good tags for residents. Beautiful country.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I think that's the best idea acesneights, find out which place draws me in the most.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Montana or Alaska. Personally, I'd pick Montana. Living a large portion of the year in darkness pretty much sucks.

Don't see what your problem would be... we get the same amount of sun, just get it delivered a bit differently. And smart people head Outside for a bit of sunshine during the winter anyway. So we actually end up with more light...

And much better hunting and fishing!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
SIL #3 has a ranch that straddles the TX-OK line. To Texans, the Okies have some strange laws re guns and hunting. On most of the ranch, he has a sendero dozed and mowed so hunters know where is where. Some is a bit rugged for that. I don't hunt the OK side and worry about the loaded gun when I feed or check water for him.

Texas has a lot of game, both native and exotic. Unless you are well connected with a few farmers/ranchers, expect to pay. Bummer is the expense. Advantage is that most like to lease their land out to a hunter or group of hunters. That way you should know who is there and where they are. Most of the rest sell hunts, usually guided. Day hunter leasing is a pain for the owner/operator. Be prepared to pay for play. Our public hunting exists, but not much.

I make no bones about it, it gets hot. About 3-4 years ago, we dropped granddaughter off at a Campfire Girls camp. No refrigerated air, evaporative cooler in the dining hall, big swimming pool and lots of trees. She was there Sunday afternoon to mid day Saturday. Average high temperature that week was 108*. Wife worried herself silly. I assured her that she was in the care of pros and everything would work. When we picked her up to carry her to her parents home, her first question was if she could go again the next week? That week changed things. Cabins and a new dining hall are now equipped with AC.

Daughter and #1 SIL leave tomorrow morning for Crested Bute, CO for a month of cool and fishing. They each have small businesses and through good assistants and modern communications are able to keep cool and keep an eye on things. Wife and I used to go up and fish with them for a week, but unfortunately, I can no longer take the elevation. I may have to find a retreat at a lower elevation. I seem fine up to about 6500'. I don't really need a boat and guide to have fun, just access.

Good luck with your search. I would be looking in the NW but become a snowbird for the winter. We do have some cold spells, but they typically are not long lasting. I once killed a moving rattlesnake in a dry west Texas town on Christmas Day.

Last edited by jt402; 07/20/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I think that's the best idea acesneights, find out which place draws me in the most.

That's pretty much what I did but I focused on Alaska (kind of a big state 😉) and spent years going around. My problem was that I loved it all and could have gone anywhere rural and have been happy.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Nice try, it ain't working. Scoot over........

I am not trying to discourage anyone from moving here. Just relating my world view. Feel free to join us if what I wrote is not an issue for you. It's not like I am planning to move out because of it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It all depends how important Whitetails are to the individual. To somebody who lives and breathes Whitetail deer like myself, Alaska is automatically out as well as several western states. The midwest becomes heaven to the whitetail aficionado .

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.