Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Just got a text from one of my original party buds.
(like us they don't have kids and still do whatever they want...)

Pic of some big boobed gal holding up two half gallons of JD.

Text reads...

"Her boobs are too big and that's too much whiskey"

Said no man ever.

Hahaha classic

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntinaz; 07/17/17.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Much prefer scotch too. Single malts with a minimum of 10 year.

The market certainly is geared towards 10 years being the standard minimum but don't limit yourself too much. Quality barrels and quality distillate can make fine whisky before ten years. Lagavulin's recent 8yo release is a prime example. A friend and I were in a bar a few months ago and opened the whisky menu and see the Lagavulin 8yr for like $8/glass. We both love the 16yo and their distiller's edition So We had to try it; any new offering from that distillery is gonna get our attention and an 8yr statement we didn't know what to expect. Well we sat down with our pours and tasted it and before our glasses were empty we were checking bottle prices and availability. Ordered a bottle each the next day. It knocks the socks off of a fair number of 10-12yo whiskies.

Oh, and get that ice outta your scotch and it'll taste better! grin

Interesting. I'll have to track down a bottle. And as far as the ice I have always enjoyed scotch over ice. Have drank more than enough neat, but seem to be more satisfying to me when chilled.

Have to admit I do not drink single malts with ice, ever... but I do drink a bit of Costco cheap stuff and ice makes it tolerable... and bitters makes it better.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[quote=Steelhead][quote=FieldGrade]Never tried Basil Hayden....I'll keep my eye out for it.

It ain't bad when you don't have to pay for it. When you do, it's like a decent $50 .75L bottle.

Damn, I pay $36 a bottle

33 at Costco here.

I'm happy that I don't live within driving distance of a Costco.

I'm happy the nearest Costco is maybe three minutes away... Five if traffic is heavy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Just got a text from one of my original party buds.
(like us they don't have kids and still do whatever they want...)

Pic of some big boobed gal holding up two half gallons of JD.

Text reads...

"Her boobs are too big and that's too much whiskey"

Said no man ever.

Hahaha classic

[Linked Image]

God bless you that is it!

laughing

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Not sure how you all are but I only drink bourbon room temp. I only drink scotch on ice. Couple times I may stray, but definitely how I prefer it

YES

NO

Never ice?

Ice ruins sipping quality whisk(e)y.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The flavor and aroma of whiskey is in the aromatics. Ice, reduces the availability of the aromatics. If you put ice in your whiskey, you are not getting all the flavor and aroma that you are paying for. Also, as it melts, it dilutes the whiskey at an ever increasing amount, making your last sips more diluted and weaker in taste. If you like your whiskey with a little less burn, just add a little water to your taste and enjoy the whole glass of whiskey.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are right.If you cannot drink it straight,maybe it's not worth drinking anyway.That's what I noticed about 1783,I like it straight.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by baldhunter
You are right.If you cannot drink it straight,maybe it's not worth drinking anyway.That's what I noticed about 1783,I like it straight.

That's a bit too broad. There are some quality whiskeys that "open up" their flavors with the addition of a small amount of water. Some, like my 140+ proof George T. Stagg, are a mite on the strong side when uncut.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i pity those who do not discern the merit of templeton's rye

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure how you all are but I only drink bourbon room temp. I only drink scotch on ice. Couple times I may stray, but definitely how I prefer it

YES

NO

Never ice?

It does but a glass rarely lasts long enough to be completed washed out. Its not the watered down flavor I prefer with scotch, its the cooler temp. Have used cold stones a bit on the really flavorful stuff so this is a non issue

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

YES

NO

Never ice?

It does but a glass rarely lasts long enough to be completed washed out. Its not the watered down flavor I prefer with scotch, its the cooler temp. Have used cold stones a bit on the really flavorful stuff so this is a non issue

It's not the water that ruins it, it's the cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm agreed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm agreed

Me too.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
i pity those who do not discern the merit of templeton's rye

There are some decent ryes out there and Templeton is a better one, for sure. Locally the distributors have stopped carrying Rittenhouse Rye and that is one I really miss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our state liquor stores get a ration of Rittenhouse about once a year and it doesn't last long.
It's good bonded rye for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Woodford DOUBLE OAKED is WAAAY better than regular WR.

Price be dammed,... life is too short to drink cheap whusky. Anyone that buys whiskey because it's cheaper should drink the cheap chit with water back or just pour coke in it until it doesn't make them shudder....Or, pay the price for good bourbon, pour yourself three fingers, light a good 50 ring Maduro and enjoy life.

Blantons is a good bourbon too but it's about the same price as double oaked

I was weaned on Kessler's, Got so sick on Corby's 66 years ago that just the smell of whiskey or the sight of a green parrot make me lurch for years after. I was 15 at the time....do the math.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been a whiskey aficionado, but I always hear people bragging about aged bottles. Once whiskey is taken from the barrel and bottled, does the age of the bottle really change the flavor, or only for as long as the Bourbon or Scotch is actually aged in the barrel?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Never been a whiskey aficionado, but I always hear people bragging about aged bottles. Once whiskey is taken from the barrel and bottled, does the age of the bottle really change the flavor, or only for as long as the Bourbon or Scotch is actually aged in the barrel?

Aging stops when it leaves the oak barrel...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1

I was weaned on Kessler's

Ya Buddy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PERFECT ! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff

It ages in the barrel, not the bottle. The age statement on the bottle refers to how long it was in the barrel.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.