Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gen Y , Z and the Millineals have little interest in motorcycling. Baby Boomers have quit buying and started selling.

Harley sales down 20K over last year and down 130K over a decade ago

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-harley-davidson-results-idUSKBN1A3126

Last edited by KFWA; 07/19/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Times change. Some companies die with the changing times, some thrive, some adapt, some don't. It's the way of things

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HD is building a new dealership next to my office. Guess someone is rolling the dice.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
Gen Y , Z and the Millijneals have little interest in motorcycling. Baby Boomers have quit buying and started selling.

Harley sales down 20K over last year and down 130K over a decade ago

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-harley-davidson-results-idUSKBN1A3126
HD has sales cycles just like other vehicle-based companies. I'm betting they will be just fine in the end..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Harley customer base is 51 years old. Millenials, have little use for Hot cars, which we friggin' drooled over and still do. Little use for motorcycles, And, and and losing interest in screwing.
What millennials do desire ...they want for free.

Now, if Harley was to bring back something like the old sevi-cars , and fill the back up with batteries and make an electric MC, like they failed at 10-12 years ago. Maybe a millennial would take a look. Premier parking places in urban millennial haunts ( example Whole Foods) are #1 handicapped....#2 parking for electrics or hybrids.

Harley is afraid to market electric bikes or scooters in their dealerships.... for fear of losing more of their aging customer base.

As an aside, Harley is in talks with VW to buy Ducati.

I have owned a number of Ducs, still ride European bikes.... the last Milwaukee vibrator I had was a tank shift.

And then there is the Indian.......

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Millennials only care about souped up Prius's and Mini Coopers..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoying my retirement from H-D . Got out with the full package. Cut it pretty close tho'. Another three days and everything would have gone down the drain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cisco1

Harley customer base is 51 years old. Millenials, have little use for Hot cars, which we friggin' drooled over and still do. Little use for motorcycles, And, and and losing interest in screwing.

That's because the Feminists have corrupted Pop Culture into celebrating Pajama Boy as the template for the White male and a Black NBA player for a sex partner. Seems they want the whimpy White boy to support them and run their children home from after school care but when they get horney they look up a macho dude. If you doubt it, look at the popularity of the Kardashians over the past decade.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went to the annual open House at the Harley dealership last month and it was packed with fat old bikers (like me). I'm planning one last road trip in August then my 97 Heritage Springer is going up for sale. At 81 years old I think it's time.

[Linked Image]

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Times change. Some companies die with the changing times, some thrive, some adapt, some don't. It's the way of things

During the early Reagan era they were struggling, and they fell on marginal hard times again just before the dot com boom where it became stylish for cash flush 45 year olds to own one.

They'll survive I'm sure but they'll need to figure out a way to connect to a new audience. Right now it appears that selling $15K heavy cruisers isn't the approach.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I dunno why anyone would buy s friggin Harley anyway. They tout the American made crisp but it's really just American assembled. And the price you pay is simply for a name

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Banker pirates.

I am not a millennial.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Harley will be OK, for a while at least, albeit at a reduced sales level & w/o the growth year over year that they have experienced for the last 10 years or so.

The market is pretty well saturated with lots of bikes bought by marginal riders during that time & that, added to the millennial situation, will surley contract sales.

Harley will need to downsize & re-adjust for a while to stay efficient & profitable.

The problem is that wall street & investors expect the growth curve (in every business) to never fall or flatten out & that's just not reality.

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good. There are few things more obnoxious than a loud Harley.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA

Right now it appears that selling $15K heavy cruisers isn't the approach.

If those heavy cruisers really were $15K, they'd sell a lot more...................a new Street Glide (not the Street Guide Special) is $22K+ & a new Ultra is around $28-30K.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Good. There are few things more obnoxious than a loud Harley.

I friggin' love that clip. Anytime I need a good laugh, I just fire that clip up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without providing numbers for Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati, Triumph, etc., it's tough to claim the younger crowd doesn't ride or like bikes.

It could be that a lighter, faster, better handling, quieter and less expensive bike is what the younger generation is purchasing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, I don't think I've ever seen more Harleys on the road.

If they want to get into the electric bike market without ruining the brand, that's easy. Just sell it under a different brand name.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As an aside, Harley is in talks with VW to buy Ducati.

I don't really keep up with the MC scene since I sold my last bikes in '08. I owned several Ducatis over the years and loved each of them. I have no doubt that Harley Davidson would royally screw up Ducati...they simply won't get it.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari

That's because the Feminists have corrupted Pop Culture into celebrating Pajama Boy as the template for the White male and a Black NBA player for a sex partner. Seems they want the whimpy White boy to support them and run their children home from after school care but when they get horney they look up a macho dude. If you doubt it, look at the popularity of the Kardashians over the past decade.

Spot on and and almost unbelievable.

Last edited by night_owl; 07/19/17.

abusus non tollit usum
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,374
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.