Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently mentioned Dunkirk which is supposed to be a great movie, but I am reminded that there is a lot of crap out there as well. With streaming services a lot of movies I'd never have rented are available to watch for free so I've been going through my watchlists checking them off. Everybody has their likes and dislikes in movie genres – westerns, war films, mysteries, horror, whatever, so there may be great movies out there that some folks just don't like. That's not what this thread is about. I kind of like indie movies, you often run into little gems the mainstream studios neglect. But like looking for roadhouse dives that serve great food, lots of them serve crap as well. Same with movies.

Going with the idea that a good movie is just a good story well told, these movies are bad stories poorly told no matter what the genre. These mini-reviews contain spoilers but that’s because I recommend that nobody waste their time on them like I did.

Please feel free to add your own.

The Midnight After – bunch of passengers in a bus in Hong Kong come out of a tunnel to find they are the only people in existence. Lots of threads that never go anywhere, no explanation for anything that happens, unrelated crap happens for no reason and nothing is ever explained or resolved at the end. Total crap.

Tank 423 – some unknown mercenaries with British and Scottish accents get trapped in a tank (actually an APC) by some unknown enemy that looks like alien monsters for some unknown reason in an unknown location with a couple of crazy women thrown in for good measure and they all go crazy and die in the end. It’s revealed that it’s all an experiment by some unknown group of people. Nothing is explained, nothing is resolved. It’s one of those movies where the writer has no idea where he’s going or what to do when he gets there so he leaves everything in an ambiguous state and the director tries to make up for that with really pretentious cinematography. Total crap.

Wiener Dog – this got very good reviews for some reason and has some name actors, Danny DeVito and Ellen Burstyn, and is ostensibly how a dachshund, the wiener dog of the title, enters into and affects people's lives. The dog is just a prop and not crucial to anything and is often neglected, and the whole movie is just a series of vignettes about dysfunctional people leading dysfunctional lives. The dog gets run over by a truck at the end and is just a red splat in the road as more vehicles run over the splat. Crap movie - don’t waste your time.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Did you actually expect a show titled "Weiner Dog" and starring Danny DeVito to be good? Ha.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of them. Anymore when we want to watch a movie we find something on TCM it seems.

The only new movie I've seen in the past 6 months that I ENJOYED was Wonder Woman.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The list is too long...

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 07/19/17.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
No country for old men

There, I said it. Junk.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I recently mentioned Dunkirk which is supposed to be a great movie, but I am reminded that there is a lot of crap out there as well. With streaming services a lot of movies I'd never have rented are available to watch for free so I've been going through my watchlists checking them off. Everybody has their likes and dislikes in movie genres – westerns, war films, mysteries, horror, whatever, so there may be great movies out there that some folks just don't like. That's not what this thread is about. I kind of like indie movies, you often run into little gems the mainstream studios neglect. But like looking for roadhouse dives that serve great food, lots of them serve crap as well. Same with movies.

Going with the idea that a good movie is just a good story well told, these movies are bad stories poorly told no matter what the genre. These mini-reviews contain spoilers but that’s because I recommend that nobody waste their time on them like I did.

Please feel free to add your own.

After Midnight – bunch of passengers in a bus in Hong Kong come out of a tunnel to find they are the only people in existence. Lots of threads that never go anywhere, no explanation for anything that happens, unrelated crap happens for no reason and nothing is ever explained or resolved at the end. Total crap.

Tank 423 – some unknown mercenaries with British and Scottish accents get trapped in a tank (actually an APC) by some unknown enemy that looks like alien monsters for some unknown reason in an unknown location with a couple of crazy women thrown in for good measure and they all go crazy and die in the end. It’s revealed that it’s all an experiment by some unknown group of people. Nothing is explained, nothing is resolved. It’s one of those movies where the writer has no idea where he’s going or what to do when he gets there so he leaves everything in an ambiguous state and the director tries to make up for that with really pretentious cinematography. Total crap.

Wiener Dog – this got very good reviews for some reason and has some name actors, Danny DeVito and Ellen Burstyn, and is ostensibly how a dachshund, the wiener dog of the title, enters into and affects people's lives. The dog is just a prop and not crucial to anything and is often neglected, and the whole movie is just a series of vignettes about dysfunctional people leading dysfunctional lives. The dog gets run over by a truck at the end and is just a red splat in the road as more vehicles run over the splat. Crap movie - don’t waste your time.

laugh

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by northern_dave
No country for old men

There, I said it. Junk.

I don't even know who you are anymore...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, probably a very long list - but I don't watch that many movies...

A couple come immediately to mind though. We just watched the latest Star Trek movie "Beyond". My wife is a fan and even she agreed that it was very lame. Nevermind the whole business about Sulu - the timeline inconsistencies were unbearable.

2010 (aka 2010: The Year We Make Contact). For those of you who don't know, this is the movie version of Arthur C Clark's 2010: Odyssey Two - the sequel to 2001, A Space Odyssey. It was hard to put the first book into film with good meaning, but Kubrick made it well enough to be a classic. The producer/director of 2010....not so much. Beyond bland, compared to the book, and the design of the space vehicle for the screen version is just too lame for serious sci-fi.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i got trapped on the tank movie, wierd.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
No country for old men

There, I said it. Junk.

one of the better pictures i have seen, the desert is no country for old men
the air nail gun was a nice touch.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of the movies made today are just bad and full of gays or other agendas.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just saw "War for the Planet of the Apes"
2 hours and 20 minutes I'll never get back

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could not sit through The Hateful Eight

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good movies aren't required to be made when the viewers are IDIOTS!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
northern dave: Of ALL of the stupid things I have seen posted on this site in the past 15 years your posting here on, is the absolute stupidest!
NO ONE could care less than me what YOU think of a movie - you can like a movie or not, that is your business.
But for you to describe one of the most successful movies of all time and most awarded movies of all time as "junk", well you are just telling everyone how stupid you are!
Not only was this multiple Oscar nominated and awarded movie entertaining to the max it was unpredictable, exceptionally well acted, exceptionally well written and mysterious!
Now some particulars to completely refute your stupid contention:
No Country For Old Men cost $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million!) to make then took in $171,000,000.00 (one hundred and seventy one million!) at the box office that year!
You can probably double that amount of profit (double the profit of $146,000,000.00 - one hundred and forty six million dollars!) since then in rentals, dvd sales and hbo type revenues.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 8 (eight!) Academy Awards winning 4 (four!)!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 4 (four) Golden Globe Awards winning 2 (two!)
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for dozens of other prestigious film awards around the world winning MANY of them.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
For the year 2,007 MORE film critics around the world considered this movie as THE BEST movie of the year than any other movie!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
Tommy Lee Jones does NOT act in "junk" films!
Tommy Lee Jones gave the best performance of his already amazingly exceptional acting career that year in the movie No Country For Old Men - and that IS saying something!
Again northern dave you are welcome to dislike the movie in question til you are content - but YOU are not allowed to say stupid things and get away with it - at least I won't let you.
I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets to old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
^^^now THAT, is entertainment^^^

LMAO!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets to old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men.

Sequel? Sure.

Or they could just release a decent ending for the original movie.

lol.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
" ... I hope someday (before Tommy Lee Jones gets too old!) there will be a sequel to the amazingly original, amazingly successful and wonderful movie - No Country For Old Men. ..."

VarmintGuy

I'm not positive but I think a sequel is in the making or there is a plan to make one. Haven't the faintest idea who would be cast.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
northern dave: Of ALL of the stupid things I have seen posted on this site in the past 15 years your posting here on, is the absolute stupidest!
NO ONE could care less than me what YOU think of a movie - you can like a movie or not, that is your business.
But for you to describe one of the most successful movies of all time and most awarded movies of all time as "junk", well you are just telling everyone how stupid you are!
Not only was this multiple Oscar nominated and awarded movie entertaining to the max it was unpredictable, exceptionally well acted, exceptionally well written and mysterious!
No Country For Old Men cost $25,000,000.00 (twenty five million!) to make then took in $171,000,000.00 (one hundred and seventy one million!) at the box office that year!
You can probably double that amount of profit (double the profit of $146,000,000.00 - one hundred and forty six million dollars!) since then in rentals, dvd sales and hbo type revenues.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 8 (eight!) Academy Awards winning 4 (four!)!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for 4 (four) Golden Globe Awards winning 2 (two!)
"Junk" doesn't do that!
No Country For Old Men was nominated for dozens of other prestigious film awards around the world winning MANY of them.
"Junk" doesn't do that!
For the year 2,007 MORE film critics around the world considered this movie as THE BEST movie of the year than any other movie!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
Tommy Lee Jones gave the best performance of his already amazingly exceptional acting career that year in the movie No Country For Old Men - and that IS saying something!
Again northern dave you are welcome to dislike the movie in question til you are content - but YOU are not allowed to say stupid things and get away with it - at least I won't let you.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

day-um

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Bristoe
"Junk" doesn't do that!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
"Junk" doesn't do that!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

day-um

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just when I had almost given up on the campfire, a glimmer of hope. lol

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,054
Posts18,482,295
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.