Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will say the last time I was in the Smokies, I saw a huge number of a dual sport bikes being ridden around by the younger set.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trplem
I tried REALLY,REALLY hard to like H-D's for a looooong time. I believed it was my responsibility as a good Wisconsonite, sort of akin to being a Packers fan. Every time I've ridden one, though, it's been a disappointing experience. Mediocre handling, poor ergonomics, and low power meant The Motor Company will be getting no money from me.

An interesting comparison is looking at a 1967 camero ss 396 vs. a 2017 camero 1ss $3250 vs $40,000. Price is 12 times higher and major improvements in fit, finish, ride quality, reliability and safety. Just comparing engines the 2017 has 5% less displacement, produces 20% more hp at the rear wheels than the 1967 did at the crank and fuel economy is 50% better.

Comparing electra glides, 1967 $1600, 2017 $25,000, price has jumped 15 times. I have no doubt advances have been made in ride quality and reliability, but the 2017 engine displacement has been increased by 45% and fuel economy is the same or possibly worse with current bike.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Around here the dirt bike/motocross races do well and any who would think they are Pajama Boys should try and keep up. On the road, track or sack.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Right, because the millenials are the first generation in history with pansy assed males that just wanted to trip out on drugs

[Linked Image]

Or not.

You have pictured the birth of today's Progressive Left: Anti-war protesters and Counter Culture hippies. That was the spawn of the Green Movement, Social Permissivism, and the all out attack on the Right. Yep, you nailed it and never knew what you were on to.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by KFWA
Gen Y , Z and the Millineals have little interest in motorcycling. Baby Boomers have quit buying and started selling.

Harley sales down 20K over last year and down 130K over a decade ago

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-harley-davidson-results-idUSKBN1A3126

I wouldn't say they have little interest i see tons of younger folks on bikes. My kids prefer dirt bikes. He wants an adventure bike after that. Id say HD sales are down because they sell a $15K bike for $35k.
Yeah, right...

I'd have one in a heartbeat if the cost wasn't so nuts.
Buy a 2-3 year old used bike with under 15K on the odometer and save about 10 grand.
I can buy 40ac of land for $35k. .
LMAO.. Not around here you can't.. You might be able to buy 5-8A for that, tops.....and probably only if it was swamp or forest..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Those were the first and forerunners of today's Japanese crotch rockets - amazing performance for the day. I remember a shootout between the Kawasaki 500, the new three cylinder Triumph 750 Trident and Norton 750 Commando sometime around the early 70's. The Kawi had the fastest time through the quarter mile, the Triumph had the highest top end and the Norton was in between both of them. - second fastest quarter mile and second highest top end.

I'll be 65 this year and a few months ago bought a bright red Yamaha FZ07 700 cc twin (689 to be exact), so I'm not exactly helping Harley's longevity.

Yep; had a bored out 350 Kawa- in the early seventies that you had to hang on to or it would leap out from under you.

Just got a used Yama- V-Star 650 Classic after forty years of four sedentary wheels. It's some kind of sublime to hit 65 on a lonesome, hot summer day, back road.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Right, because the millenials are the first generation in history with pansy assed males that just wanted to trip out on drugs

[Linked Image]

Or not.

You have pictured the birth of today's Progressive Left: Anti-war protesters and Counter Culture hippies. That was the spawn of the Green Movement, Social Permissivism, and the all out attack on the Right. Yep, you nailed it and never knew what you were on to.

Oh I'm well aware what they spawned.

I will say that as much as I respect the "greatest generation" I sadly have to say that they not only sired but tilled the soil that created the "self absorbed rather than self sacrificing" generation. I completely understand why a generation that grew up in the great depression and went through sacrifice and suffering of WWII would want to protect their children from the pain and suffering they experienced. The trouble is you remove the conditions necessary for the development of character in a human, and you breed ungrateful malcontents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not my thing. My Dad always had a Harley but you couldn't give me one. I just don't have any interest. Only guys where I work that have them all have white hair. The few young guys that ride a motorcycle have some sort of Japanese bike. I agree waaaaaaaaay overpriced and they they charge you $30 for a t-shirt and have 500% mark up on Harley branded accessories. My buddy used to own 2 and I told him he was a damn fool for paying what they wanted for this little chrome rack for the back of the bike. They had about $5 in that thing and it was like $120.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here, forest will cost you 1K per acre. With Deer it will go up. With mineral rights 35K will get you two or three.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see lots of millennials riding bikes. Bikes that don't cost $24k and don't leave them stranded or need to be trailered. Yeah, trailered. Can't count the times I've watched Harleys headed to Sturgis or headed south in a trailer.

Dual Sport does seem to be the current "thing" with young riders. The crotch rockets are still popular. Young people don't generally have the time to cruise on a Goldwing, but they still ride. Harley likes to make people think they have a sporty model, but no....

I can't fault someone for wanting something that works and costs less at the same time.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nothing like that is going to 'kill off Harley", but they might have to get used to smaller sales volume.

Sam......

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I can only speak to my area, and immediate group of friends (ages 45-55). Most of us have ridden, or still ride dirt bikes. A few have HD's, one an Indian (nifty bike), and quite a few have the "adventure" bikes. I see a LOT of bmw's on the roads these days. And even a fair spattering of Triumphs. That said, the younger crowd (less than 30) "seem" to be more on crotch rockets, or scooters. Not much in between, and rarely ever on a cruiser type bike.

And for what it is worth. I spend my time on a triumph speed triple.

Last edited by Lorin; 07/19/17.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Lorin
. I spend my time on a triumph speed triple.

Nice.

I've wanted an adventure (tiger series) triumph for quite a few years. Some day.

There are so many variations of the tiger currently, it's almost too much to choose from.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Millennials have no balls and want everything for free.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Millennials have no balls and want everything for free.

Maybe some, somewhere. But none that I know. In fact, I don't know any of the obscenely strange people like TV, movies and fake news would have me believe the world is full of.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My eyes were opened when I got my "first" bike after 40 years, a Honda CB500X. I was talking about it to one of the early 20-something waitresses at a local burger joint and she mentioned a motorcycle one of the owners had recently bought, and in trying to describe it she said it "wasn't an old man motorcycle" - meaning a Harley cruiser.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first vehicle was a Harly TX125 endure. It vibrated so bad, it lost it's own oil plug. Had a top speed of 62mph if I was laying down on the tank. It's what I learned to ride with, but ever again. In a few months, I should have the funds to start looking for a bike, again.
(I was a motorcycle courier in California. Among other jobs.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I see lots of millennials riding bikes. Bikes that don't cost $24k and don't leave them stranded or need to be trailered. Yeah, trailered. Can't count the times I've watched Harleys headed to Sturgis or headed south in a trailer.

Dual Sport does seem to be the current "thing" with young riders. The crotch rockets are still popular. Young people don't generally have the time to cruise on a Goldwing, but they still ride. Harley likes to make people think they have a sporty model, but no....

I can't fault someone for wanting something that works and costs less at the same time.

I don't think you know much about the newer Harleys.......................except maybe the price.

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I know a bunch of millenials here that would out ride, out work, out play and generally out do all you old chest pounding "hard chargers" on your best day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by cisco1

Harley customer base is 51 years old. Millenials, have little use for Hot cars, which we friggin' drooled over and still do. Little use for motorcycles, And, and and losing interest in screwing.
What millennials do desire ...they want for free.

That's because the Feminists have corrupted Pop Culture into celebrating Pajama Boy as the template for the White male and a Black NBA player for a sex partner. Seems they want the whimpy White boy to support them and run their children home from after school care but when they get horney they look up a macho dude. If you doubt it, look at the popularity of the Kardashians over the past decade.

Sickening, isn't it?

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,757
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.