Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Your dad was 100% correct. And he could have easily said a 375H&H too, if other continents were involved, but the point he makes is not relevant to any gun lover. If you love hunting and the gun is just a tool for that purpose, I could not agree with him more. But if you are also a gun lover one gun regardless of caliber will be like a food connoisseur being told that all he ever needs to eat is chef's salad.

We want, therefor we need.

Slaves are allowed what they need.
Free men buy what they want.

I like guns more then I like cartridges I guess. I have learned in my 52 years of hunting in various states and countries and in hunting a large number of game animals of various sizes and weights, that what you shoot is less important then how well you shoot.
A rifle you LIKE is one you shoot for fun. Shooting for fun has a tendency to make you into a better marksman. Better marksmanship is the most weighty factor in success.

Generally I like powerful rifles, but I don't need real powerful rifles for any game under 2500 pounds. I just like them. I do have a 6.5X54 Mann/Scho (not much more power then a 30-30) that I intend to kill elk with this year. Why? Because I like it, and I shoot it well.

Bullets are more important then cartridge cases. Accuracy and penetration with enough cavitation is what we need.
The shape of the powder bottle is not as important as many seem to think.

But............ you're Dad was right if we look at "need".

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've taken truck loads of deer with various .30-06's, followed by the .270 and .308. I have taken them with a lot of various other cartridges too but, keep coming back to these 3.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It gives the 'kiddies' a way to piss off their $$$$$$$$$!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have said this here before. My uncle was a career Air Force guy and killed nearly all of North America's big game with a Remington 760 30-06 and 4x scope. I remember my last real conversation I had with him and he said he had no regrets and never felt the need for others...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JDK
I have said this here before. My uncle was a career Air Force guy and killed nearly all of North America's big game with a Remington 760 30-06 and 4x scope. I remember my last real conversation I had with him and he said he had no regrets and never felt the need for others...

My dad is similar and while I have other rifles, my go to rifle for moose hunting is a 30-06 with a Leupold 1.5-5 on it. I think the longest distance I ever shot a moose at was about 200yds.

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Nothing wrong with the venerable old 30-06. I still have one. But my do-all rifle would probably be my 7mm-08. Of course I dont have just 1 rifle, heck I have 7 or 8 .22's, I think I may have a "condition" LOL

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jkingrph
When the only gun I had was my 30-06 I shot it very well. Now that I have too many to count, I just shoot them so-so. It seems that there was an old saying that went, "beware the man with one gun"!

...because he is either broke and desperate or has all his priorities screwed up!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by jkingrph
When the only gun I had was my 30-06 I shot it very well. Now that I have too many to count, I just shoot them so-so. It seems that there was an old saying that went, "beware the man with one gun"!

...because he is either broke and desperate or has all his priorities screwed up!

I see you're a half glass full kind of fella .... grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
There is no doubt a guy can do it all with one really nice rifle.

That said, I decided to go the 2-gun, big game route.

1 .308 and 1 .300WM.

Both Tikka T3s, and both in McMillan stocks. Both have good glass in Talley lightweights.

There is always a desire to "put together just one more" but really there is no real reason.

Truth be told the .300 Win Mag is only for late season elk when the ranges get extended.

Otherwise, I really could do everything with my little lightweight .308. That rifle makes me smile. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

There is always a desire to "put together just one more" but really there is no real reason.

I usually agree whole heartedly with your posts...but this is just crazy talk.... crazy

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I usually agree whole heartedly with your posts...but this is just crazy talk.... crazy

My wife would agree w/MacKay.....but what does she know ? whistle
DON'T tell her what I said. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1minute, 06hunter59, 163bc, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.