Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The wife and I were cleaning off some of the shelves down stairs and found a box with twelve quarts of tomato juice that was canned in August of 1993. The juice is still a good red color and the lids are still sealed. I opened one the jars and it smell good. What are your thoughts on it still being usable?

Thanks

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Probably OK if the color was ok.

When canned tomatoes go bad, they take on a brownish color.

One sip will tell the tale. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let your wife taste it and see what happens.

J/k of course. I'm not sure what the real answer is but I'd be a bit leary of drinking something that's been in a jar for 24 years.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When I cleaned out my parent house years ago, I found jars of green beans my Mother had put up.....in 1949!
This was in 2002! They looked good but none of us was brave enough to try them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a rule we dont keep ours passed 5 yrs (tomatoes)

Now, green beans....they can almost go 10 yrs lol
The wife found some at her grandparents house dated 1989. Hahaha, they made it a special dish at a family dinner last year. NFW was i eating them. They survived.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Actually the tomatoes would be way safer than the green beans. Tomatoes you can 100% safely can just by open kettle canning because of the high acidity. Beans should be pressure cooked to be safe on account of botulism and to cover any possible mistakes as far as cleanliness. But my mother has canned everything under the sun for yrs. She's never trusted a pressure cooker, just does hot water bath canning on things like beans with no problems ever.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I would put it in a pot and cook it for 15 minutes, let it cool, then taste it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If there is no botulinum bacteria present on the beans when they're canned, there is no danger. The problem comes when botulinum IS present. Hot water canning without a pressure cooker can't get it hot enough to destroy the toxin.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on how they were canned. Pressure cooked probably ok. Normally we try to use everything within 5 years but have had stuff go 10 years.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to taste it and see what happens. Hell I would just as soon get sick from something we canned as something from the store.......lol. If the taste test goes well, I will sterilize some more with Absolute, a celery stick and Tabasco. Will report back.

Again Thanks!

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fgold767
When I cleaned out my parent house years ago, I found jars of green beans my Mother had put up.....in 1949!
This was in 2002! They looked good but none of us was brave enough to try them.

Reminds me of when I was cleaning out my Mother's house in 2004. Found several hundred pounds of staples; four, sugar, pasta, spices, rice, and dried bean in 50 gallons plastic survivalist water drums. I also found many gallons of homemade wine, some of it was over 20 years old that looked/tasted like Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry. I donated the staples to the local food pantry and gave the wine to my Mother's elderly friends for medicinal purposes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really old canned stuff is safe as far as bugs but it will usually break down and be off flavored. It may or may not be edible but it won't kill you. Dry goods will keep a LONG time if sealed to keep out bugs and rodents. Archaeologists have found grain stored in sealed jars in Egyptian tombs that still germinated. Usually wine will keep ok if it's stored right but sometimes it will be really nasty vinegar.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Make a double bloody mary and see what happens.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WELL HE HAS NOT REPORTED BACK..... NOT GOOD SO FAR !!!!!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm not sure what the real answer is but I'd be a bit leary of drinking something that's been in a jar for 24 years.

Obviously not a Scotch fan.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If there is no botulinum bacteria present on the beans when they're canned, there is no danger. The problem comes when botulinum IS present. Hot water canning without a pressure cooker can't get it hot enough to destroy the toxin.

Yes but if you can spot botulism you're better than any doctor without a microscope. And it only takes a minute amount to poison the whole well over time. But like I said my mother cans everything under the sun and never did use a pressure cooker. I do though, particularly on things like string beans.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Yes but if you can spot botulism you're better than any doctor without a microscope. And it only takes a minute amount to poison the whole well over time. But like I said my mother cans everything under the sun and never did use a pressure cooker. I do though, particularly on things like string beans.
No, you can't spot it in advance. Therefore, if you don't use a pressure cooker on stuff like beans, you're playing with fire. It's not worth the risk.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

No, you can't spot it in advance. Therefore, if you don't use a pressure cooker on stuff like beans, you're playing with fire. It's not worth the risk.

Yep.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Use the hell out of it, I would save it till Winter for use in stews, soups and chili.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Make a double bloody mary and see what happens.

A gallon of iced cold PBR tomato beer for the win. grin

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 163bc, 2500HD, 160user, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,454
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.