Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well......, it passed the taste test though it is a little flat compared to last years tomato juice. Decided not to waste the Absolute on the 24 year old tomato juice. Will use it for chili and call it good. Poured 3 fingers of Woodford over ice instead. Will report back tomorrow of any ill effects. PBR and tomato juice..........that brings back memories.....lol. Tells my age.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
At the risk of being brow beat by mathman and Ingwegrin, I love me some tomato beer working this farm in the summer, keeps me from cramping up so bad and taste wonderful ice cold.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 260AIShooter
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to taste it and see what happens. Hell I would just as soon get sick from something we canned as something from the store.......lol. If the taste test goes well, I will sterilize some more with Absolute, a celery stick and Tabasco. Will report back.

Again Thanks!

Im betting its good.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If there is no botulinum bacteria present on the beans when they're canned, there is no danger. The problem comes when botulinum IS present. Hot water canning without a pressure cooker can't get it hot enough to destroy the toxin.

Yes but if you can spot botulism you're better than any doctor without a microscope. And it only takes a minute amount to poison the whole well over time. But like I said my mother cans everything under the sun and never did use a pressure cooker. I do though, particularly on things like string beans.

Just dump in a small can of crushed pineapple when you go to jar it. smile

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Well......, it passed the taste test though it is a little flat compared to last years tomato juice. Decided not to waste the Absolute on the 24 year old tomato juice. Will use it for chili and call it good. Poured 3 fingers of Woodford over ice instead. Will report back tomorrow of any ill effects, MAYBE.

Did you salt it?

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sure did and pepper.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The wife and I were cleaning off some of the shelves down stairs and found a box with twelve quarts of tomato juice that was canned in August of 1993. The juice is still a good red color and the lids are still sealed. I opened one the jars and it smell good. What are your thoughts on it still being usable?

Thanks
Go for it... I've BTDT, no problems.. But I use a pressure canner - not sure if that's the case in your scenario or not..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We can green beans and tomato juice, and pressure cook both. I don't like to keep it too long, 3 years being max. I know, it's probably safe, but it only takes a very small amount of botulism to put one six feet under. Stuff can go bad with age, because the rubber seal on the lids could dry out just enough to let air in, and that ain't good.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If it wasn't bad to start with, and is sealed, then you can use it no matter how old it is.

What's in there to start with is what's in there to end with.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,917
Posts18,498,401
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.