Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AS, dont forget their lust... grin

Lust is a psychological force producing intense want/desire...the easiest kind of people to sell something to.. wink

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Methinks He'd prefer us to love one another. Can't imagine a guy that can make a platypus and a solar system is loosing sleep over someone not burning an ox for him.

Yep, even bowhunters.

Now you're pushing it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ha.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe;
Good evening to you sir, I'm hoping that the smoke from our province being on fire hasn't blown south too, too much across the medicine line this year. If it has, please know we're doing our level best to curtail it, but somehow it's been one of those years, you know?

As you well know about me, I'm not about trying to convert or convince anyone to the my way of thinking - and as I told a co-worker the other day, my personal beliefs are just a crutch because I couldn't handle booze... wink

Anyway I'd opine that IF we do church right, then it should have a visible positive impact on our community. Truly we can have a positive impact on our respective communities as individuals, but it strikes me that if there are a group of individuals who have a common goal then we SHOULD be able to have a greater impact than as individuals.

Where we fall down, in my view, is when we become unclear on the concept and loose sight of the goal.

Personally speaking, I'd opine that when church management are enriching themselves monetarily from any church activity, then they have absolutely lost sight of the goal.

Honestly, I believe that whether or not we believe in any sort of deity, be it a cosmic muffin or whatever we choose, our goal as humans SHOULD be making good replacement humans if we choose to procreate as well as have a positive impact on those around us too. If we don't make replacements, then we're back to point number one. wink

Anyway as always that's just one short guy's thoughts on the subject being discussed ingwe, worth only what the good readers paid to pass over the words.

All the best to you and yours this summer sir, hopefully the fires abate up here and don't migrate into your part of the world.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Northman
I dont know.. the 6000+ other religions in the world also sounds compelling to me.

Yea, specilly if u wanna b a cow, if yer lucky.

Ur crew, howsever, seems ta be leanin more to the 72 vurgen crew.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/20/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just worry about myself and my family, and how we are living our lives, as ultimately that is who I am responsible for. Could care less how other folks live there lives, whether they claim to be christians or not. Nobody makes me look bad or good except me, and I don't care what folks think. Everyone will face judgement and everything will be sorted out in the end. Excuses will mean nothing when the creator of the universe examines our lives and holds us in account. If a church sucks, I leave. Never had a church force me to do anything, or force me to write a check which I happily write anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
First, I want to express what I think religion is, and what I think many churches have become. It seems to me that churches are filled with people who want to do their duty to God,get their star beside their name,and get back to their business as fast as possible. Most of them think that being a Christian is about a list of rules that they have to follow. If they follow them well, Heaven,if not Hell, unless of coarse they repent with many tears and promise never to do it again. This group knows that God is in there somewhere, but mostly think he is there to judge how well they repented,or how bad they sinned. They are consumed by rules and regulations,constantly searching the scriptures for some rule or regulation that they missed,because it is by following these rules and regulations that they think they will please God. They are unfulfilled because they know in their hearts that they never give 100%,and they think they will never attain the place God wants them to be and please him in the way he wants ,until they somehow reach this unattainable goal. They however always ask you to pray for them to attain this unattainable goal, and pray that you will attain it also.

I don't remember ever meeting someone like the above.

Now let me say very simply what Christianity is. God made man. Man messed up. Man couldn't fix it,but God couldn't fix it for him because it was his responsibility to fix. God knew man couldn't fix his own problem ,so he became a man and fixed it himself. All man has to do now is trust that God fixed his problem and live like it's fixed. It really is that simple. All God wants is for us to trust him,love him,and love each other.

Does obedience to the New Testament fit in here?

Church should be a celebration about what Jesus has done for us and a place where we can learn how to better love each other. It should be a place where we could learn all about what Jesus did for us,is doing for us,and is going to do for us. It should be a place where we can have all our spiritual needs taken care of and talk about the best way to take care of our physical and emotional needs as well.

I never met a group like this.

Maybe God's moving me in this direction. I guess we will see.

God wanted you to obey His Word from the first day. I wish you success in your journey.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Honestly, I believe that whether or not we believe in any sort of deity, be it a cosmic muffin or whatever we choose, our goal as humans SHOULD be making good replacement humans if we choose to procreate as well as have a positive impact on those around us too.

Dwayne

Why? If there is no "sort of deity"?

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
First, I want to express what I think religion is, and what I think many churches have become. It seems to me that churches are filled with people who want to do their duty to God,get their star beside their name,and get back to their business as fast as possible. Most of them think that being a Christian is about a list of rules that they have to follow. If they follow them well, Heaven,if not Hell, unless of coarse they repent with many tears and promise never to do it again. This group knows that God is in there somewhere, but mostly think he is there to judge how well they repented,or how bad they sinned. They are consumed by rules and regulations,constantly searching the scriptures for some rule or regulation that they missed,because it is by following these rules and regulations that they think they will please God. They are unfulfilled because they know in their hearts that they never give 100%,and they think they will never attain the place God wants them to be and please him in the way he wants ,until they somehow reach this unattainable goal. They however always ask you to pray for them to attain this unattainable goal, and pray that you will attain it also.

Now let me say very simply what Christianity is. God made man. Man messed up. Man couldn't fix it,but God couldn't fix it for him because it was his responsibility to fix. God knew man couldn't fix his own problem ,so he became a man and fixed it himself. All man has to do now is trust that God fixed his problem and live like it's fixed. It really is that simple. All God wants is for us to trust him,love him,and love each other.

Church should be a celebration about what Jesus has done for us and a place where we can learn how to better love each other. It should be a place where we could learn all about what Jesus did for us,is doing for us,and is going to do for us. It should be a place where we can have all our spiritual needs taken care of and talk about the best way to take care of our physical and emotional needs as well.

God wanted you to obey His Word from the first day. I wish you success in your journey.

That's funny my friend. Who would have ever guessed that the need for obedience would be what you would get from my post?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That's funny my friend. Who would have ever guessed that the need for obedience would be what you would get from my post?

Works vs. Grace.

20 Passages supporting each position would be a chip shot. A good Theologian could probably find 100 quotes on each side of this question.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Starman
....They are consumed by rules and regulations,constantly searching the scriptures for some rule or regulation that they missed,
because it is by following these rules and regulations that they think they will please God....

There are things man can do to please God., but they are not actions for the sake of finding favor with God.
those who think that whats required to please God will also somehow assist in finding favor with God ,
are misguided.

It pleases God to have faith;

Hebrews 11:6
"And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is
and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him."

John 8:9
"And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him."

Christianity is God's way to get close to us,if you want to put it in a nut shell.

I understand it to be the opposite, i.e.; the given way for man to get closer to Him.
and I understand that doing so ,following such instruction, would also please Him.

I said that Christianity was God's way to get close to us because we weren't seeking him. Rom.3:11 declares just that,there are none seeking after God. You see we weren't looking or seeking. We were dead in our sins when Jesus came and saved us. Rom.5:8 While we were sinners God commanded his love toward us and Christ died for us.

Yes,faith pleases God. How could God be pleased if we would not receive what he has done for us? For that matter how can you please anyone unless you believe them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly, I believe that whether or not we believe in any sort of deity, be it a cosmic muffin or whatever we choose, our goal as humans SHOULD be making good replacement humans if we choose to procreate as well as have a positive impact on those around us too.

Dwayne

Ringman;
Good evening to you sir, I trust all is well with you and yours tonight and that you're staying cool enough.

If there is no deity and what we see and know here is all that there is, then it would still behoove us to create good replacements as I believe they'd then be more likely to take care of us in our old age when we can no longer do so on our own.

Those who know me personally know that I very much believe in a deity/creator, so the above fits into what I've come to understand as my role as a servant to that creator.

Either way it seems like a logical course of action to me though.

Hopefully that made sense, all the best to you for the remaining days of summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Works vs. Grace.

20 Passages supporting each position would be a chip shot. A good Theologian could probably find 100 quotes on each side of this question.

Not from me, on this one, my pot stirrer friend. I think you already know where I stand.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Dwayne

This^^^^. Dogs dont worry about it.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the Holy Bible, God has given rather clear instructions for the Christian life. Those relate to the individual, although they can be lived and applied as a body of believers.

When we make stuff up in His name, it is a bad mistake.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
In the Holy Bible, God has given rather clear instructions for the Christian life. Those relate to the individual, although they can be lived and applied as a body of believers.

So clear that there's thousands of different denominations of Christians.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try and not follow a religion. Religions are mostly a man thing. I try and follow Christ in and covenant of Grace given. This is why everything, and I mean every single thing, any man says, preacher or otherwise, is subject to review under the scriptures. You will find that doctrines not directly stated in scripture are mostly inferred by man to his own end.

But then again I am a literalist who reads scripture with literary integrity. I reject versification as it allows people to sew together what God did not intend. A verse is a reference point, nothing more. No verse stands on it's own. Start at that verse for reference then broaden out to find the beginning to the end of the subject matter.

I take into account who the audience was and what the culture was. For example, every thing Jesus said, except to the Sumerian woman at the well, was to Jews living under the law that had not been fulfilled yet. He taught the Jews the spirit of the law where before they had held only to the text. The Jews held to an external law, Jesus showed it was meant to become internal. Then he made it internal with the covenant of Grace.

I do not believe the books of Jesus's ministry, Matthew, Mark Luke and John, are truly the New Testament but rather the conclusion of the Old Testament, the fulfillment of prophecy. The New Testament really doesn't start until the book of Acts. The new covenant not given until the day of Pentecost and the coming of the Holy spirit.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/20/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I try and not follow a religion. Religions are mostly a man thing. I try and follow Christ in and covenant of Grace given. This is why everything, and I mean every single thing, any man says, preacher or otherwise, is subject to review under the scriptures. You will find that doctrines not directly stated in scripture are mostly inferred by man to his own end.

But then again I am a literalist who reads scripture with literary integrity. I reject versification as it allows people to sew together what God did not intend. A verse is a reference point, nothing more. No verse stands on it's own. Start at that verse for reference then broaden out to find the beginning to the end of the subject matter.

I take into account who the audience was and what the culture was. For example, every thing Jesus said, except to the Sumerian woman at the well, was to Jews living under the law that had not been fulfilled yet. He taught the Jews the spirit of the law where before they had held only to the text. The Jews held to an external law, Jesus showed it was meant to become internal. Then he made it internal with the covenant of Grace.

I do not believe the books of Jesus's ministry, Matthew, Mark Luke and John, are truly the New Testament but rather the conclusion of the Old Testament, the fulfillment of prophecy. The New Testament really doesn't start until the book of Acts. The new covenant not given until the day of Pentecost and the coming of the Holy spirit.

I like that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dwayne

Ringman;
Good evening to you sir, I trust all is well with you and yours tonight and that you're staying cool enough.

If there is no deity and what we see and know here is all that there is, then it would still behoove us to create good replacements as I believe they'd then be more likely to take care of us in our old age when we can no longer do so on our own.

Those who know me personally know that I very much believe in a deity/creator, so the above fits into what I've come to understand as my role as a servant to that creator.

Either way it seems like a logical course of action to me though.

Hopefully that made sense, all the best to you for the remaining days of summer.

Dwayne

I am a more than a little annoyed by the God Whom I serve. My wife whom I have prayed for almost everyday and sometimes several times a day is still a type 2 diabetic. God tells us He will heal those whom we anoint with oil and pray over them. I have seen lots of instant healing; even in my own family. And yet not her. We are generally staying cool, though. The air conditioner in the house and car work. I hope thing are going well for you and yours also.

I am entertained by your response. Your worldview predisposes you to think good offspring with take care of you. I read Eskimos take care of their aged by taking them out from the group and letting nature takes it course. They may believe in a deity, but they don't believe in the Only Deity that matters. As a servant of the Only Deity Who matters I agree with you about replacements. God never rescinded , "Be fruitful and fill the earth."

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC

So clear that there's thousands of different denominations of Christians.

Like you appear to do, there are religious people who take thing out of context and dupe others into following them.

To answer one of your other questions....Without Grace there would be no works. God, by His Grace grants works to eternal life. I get this from 2 Timothy 2 where Apostle Paul writes something about God granting Grace to repentance. Repentance is a work in one's life.

Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.